basketball banquet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basketball banquet

Is anyone else going to the basketball banquet this Wednesday? This is my first time attending. Any information on what it will be like would be nice if someone has attended previously. The main reason I am attending is because this Wednesday is also " LOI" signing day. If we are lucky and most of the LOI get faxed in and HCGM has them in hand, maybe we will get a rundown on not only who signed but how HCGM rates the different new signies. Probably info on any non returnee's also. :wsu_posters: :wsu_posters: :wsu_posters: :wsu_posters: I will try and post any information picked up that evening when I get home.

How'd it go tonight? I hope the last official honoring of the seniors was a positive and enjoyable time for all.

Comment

Originally posted by shockar25
      How'd it go tonight? I hope the last official honoring of the seniors was a positive and enjoyable time for all.
      ro
      It certainly was. Coach Marshall was tremendous. The assistants were great. Kennedy was outstanding as always. The players were special.

The seniors all did a fine job when it became their turn to speak. Phil was really good. He brought some great laughs, especially when he said something about being yelled at. He said something like "I probably deserved some of it". Then glancing back at Coach he sais "not all of it though". I thought Coach would fall off his chair laughing. Phil also said that Coach and is staff were the 1st he had ever had who really got to know who he was and how much it met to him. He was happy that he finally got to play for the right staff and wished he could keep playing.

Cooz got a great laugh when he mentioned AJ and others who "tried to guard him in practice". He had that very ornery look on his face. He was very entertaining.

Matt talked about meeting Coach and thinking he had to be the nicest guy he had ever met. Then came the time that he got beat back on defense a few times and how Coach had his face so close to Matt's and was screaming and it took Matt back to when he was 14 and his dad. He was a real riot.

Later when we got to talk individually with the players, I told Cooz how much we'd miss him. He said "A.J., A.J. Hawkins. When you see him play, you'll forget all about me". As always, P.J. was a real joy to talk to. My wife and I shook hands with Phil and told him thanks for the effort and he just took over the conversation and talked for some time about how much he had enjoyed this past year. What a special young man.

Coach was fantastic to talk to as always. My buddy told him that he was smiling bigger then he was in St. Louis. Coach said that he'd run into that referee again someday. He was so much fun to talk to.

We sat with J.T. at dinner and he was very enjoyable. A truly nice guy. I asked him if he worked out all day and he replied that he was studying all day and that he was spending nearly all him time studying. I really got the impression that he was one who Coach had gotten the attention of.

All in all, this was a group of very special people and I'm very proud that they are Shockers.

Comment

Thank you for that report.

Comment

Lance Harris was outstanding. He talked about how special it was to play in front of his hometown crowd and how thankful he was that the staff gave him the opportunity to contribute, to reach his dream. His best line: "I want to apologize to PJ for all the extra conditioning I gave him. Every time a player has a turnover in practice, they have to run a sprint. Since I was guarding PJ, he had to run a lot of sprints...." It got a big laugh.
          Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
            Lance Harris was outstanding. He talked about how special it was to play in front of his hometown crowd and how thankful he was that the staff gave him the opportunity to contribute, to reach his dream. His best line: "I want to apologize to PJ for all the extra conditioning I gave him. Every time a player has a turnover in practice, they have to run a sprint. Since I was guarding PJ, he had to run a lot of sprints...." It got a big laugh.
            I meant to mention that one and had a brain cramp. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the reports. Sounds like a great evening.

:goshocks:

Comment

Originally posted by MikeShox
                I meant to mention that one and had a brain cramp. Thanks.
                Thanks Mike and everyone for the great report. I wish I could've been there... it sounds like you did a great job of representing us fans by thanking those guys for their contributions. Those guys will be missed, and though AJ will definately be fun to watch, I doubt seriously that anyone will ever forget PJ and all that he brought to the court. Besides, we now don't have anyone to yell 'COOOOZZZ' for at the games!

Comment

Was this the end of the season basketball celebration that usually happens inside Koch Arena? If so, why was it in the multipurpose center and not in the arena?
                  Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                  Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by capnkirk
                    Was this the end of the season basketball celebration that usually happens inside Koch Arena? If so, why was it in the multipurpose center and not in the arena?

It was the same celebration. I'm going to go out and guess that they didn't hold it in the arena due to the new floor they just put down. Don't want to scratch it up. Keep it pretty.
                    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                    -- Yogi Berra

Comment

The arena was roped off. I think there was a note indicating that was because of the new floor.
                      Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

The arena was roped off. I think there was a note indicating that was because of the new floor.
                        Actually, this was a little more like the banquets before Turg changed it. For years it was in a banquet room at a hotel and incuded your dinner for a price. It was fairly expensive back then. Turg chose to move it to the arena and make it free which allowed the kids to be part of it. This wasn't nearly as expensive as it was in the hotels and there wasn't nearly the choices of food and no wet bar.

We've gone to every one since Randy Smithson came and it's always a great time.

I'll never forget the first time we ever went to any kind of a banquet. It was when they had one to honor Cliff Levingston. Randy always had the players spread out, not more than one per table (they did that last night too) so that they would be available for the public. That 1st night, we sat with this extremely shy freshman who would not touch vegetables (and still won't) named Jason Perez. What a special night that was. Jason was so shy, but was so very pleasant. He became our favorite that night and remained so forever. We had dinner with Jason and family about a year ago and he's still shy, but works hard to not show it and he still won't get within striking distance of a vegetable.

Much like St. Louis, once we went once you cannot keep us away.

Comment

Working...
                        X