Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 - Who is your Starting Point Guard - "the #1 Position"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 - Who is your Starting Point Guard - "the #1 Position"?

When the ball is thrown for the tip-off against Henderson State (Exhibition), our first exhibition game, on November 4th, who is Coach Marshall’s Starting Point Guard for - "the #1 Position"?

Note: Landry Shamet is recovering from foot surgery and is likely not to be available.
    Austin Reaves, 6'5'', 174lbs., Soph.
    36.67%
    Brycen Bush, 6'0'', 152lbs., Fr.
    1.11%
    C.J. Keyser, 6'3'' 185lbs., Soph.
    3.33%
    Conner Frankamp, 6'1'' 171lbs., 4Sr.
    25.56%
    Jacob Herrs, 6'3'', 164lbs., Fr.
    0%
    Kaelen Malone, 6'0'', 168lbs., Jr.
    0%
    Samajae Haynes-Jones, 6'0'', 177lbs., Jr.
    28.89%
    Other?
    4.44%

The poll is expired.

I went with Conner based solely on his experience at the position. I think Austin will play the 2, but they will be somewhat interchangeable kind of like FVV and Ron were later in their careers.
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
      I went with Conner based solely on his experience at the position. I think Austin will play the 2, but they will be somewhat interchangeable kind of like FVV and Ron were later in their careers.
      This is probably the right answer. I really want Connor to be at the two though, as his game is infinitely better in that position.

Comment

Landry Shamet. He'll be ready.
        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Not sure it makes much difference who starts an Exhibition game but hopefully Samajae will earn and get substantial playing time because he needs the experience in a new to him system more than any of the other options.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 9, 2017, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Not sure it make much difference who starts an Exhibition game but hopefully Samajae will earn and get substantial playing time because he needs the experience in a new to him system more than any of the other options.
            Yeah, I’m not worried about the exhibition game or UMKC.

I am mildly worried about a very good Charleston team coached by a former 3G assistant on November 13.
            78-65

Comment

35% for SHJ? Really??

As I recall his JuCo stats, he was not a true "pass first" type of PG. He's only had a very limited amount of time working in Marshall's system. There's little chance he's figured out 10% of it by now. Remember how lost Ty Taylor was when he tried to play point after a couple months of practice?

It took Shamet a year in the system and then another half a season before he was able to play point.

Reaves and Frankamp have a huge edge over SHJ for running the team. I know everyone hopes the home town guy does well, but expecting a JuCo PG to come in and be a starter in the first game after he's on campus isn't realistic.

If he can do it and be successful I will be surprised and that would raise my expectations for the season. I would gladly accept having my thoughts be proven wrong.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Reaves.

Just because he's going to be awesome. And Connor at the 2 is too deadly a weapon.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  35% for SHJ? Really??

As I recall his JuCo stats, he was not a true "pass first" type of PG. He's only had a very limited amount of time working in Marshall's system. There's little chance he's figured out 10% of it by now. Remember how lost Ty Taylor was when he tried to play point after a couple months of practice?

It took Shamet a year in the system and then another half a season before he was able to play point.

Reaves and Frankamp have a huge edge over SHJ for running the team. I know everyone hopes the home town guy does well, but expecting a JuCo PG to come in and be a starter in the first game after he's on campus isn't realistic.

If he can do it and be successful I will be surprised and that would raise my expectations for the season. I would gladly accept having my thoughts be proven wrong.
                  Much of that came from the fact he was not the starting PG, but the starting SG. Now, this may have been because it was better for the team to start SHJ at the 2 with their other 1 than start SHJ at the 1 with their best other 2. Make whatever conclusions you wish, SHJ still did not get a lot of time running the point. I'm in agreement here in that he will most likely have an awful lot to learn for more reason than this being his 1st year under HCGM. I, too, hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    Much of that came from the fact he was not the starting PG, but the starting SG. Now, this may have been because it was better for the team to start SHJ at the 2 with their other 1 than start SHJ at the 1 with their best other 2. Make whatever conclusions you wish, SHJ still did not get a lot of time running the point. I'm in agreement here in that he will most likely have an awful lot to learn for more reason than this being his 1st year under HCGM. I, too, hope I'm wrong.
                    So, 35% of SN'ers think that a JuCo SG will be the Shox' starting PG until Shamet returns?

SHJ seems to have a game a lot more reminiscent of Daishon Smith's than Ragland's or Hannah's.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Barring an unforeseen injury, I see AR starting due to experience and loyalty (his spot to lose).

CF at the 2. No point in starting the season with Conner out of position although I expect he may spot fill PG on rare occasion (depending on SHJ progression).

SHJ may turn out to be more talented in the long run but missing summer workouts + sophisticated offensive system = time to develope

Comment

It was hard to decide between Conner and Austin for me. Conner is best at the 2, but was also a very solid PG who was careful with the ball. Austin however did run the point some and handled it well as a freshman. I decided to go with Conner on this one, and don't really think SHJ will be ready to start.

I'm also not considering the exhibition game as the first game. My "starters" are for the UMKC game.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                          So, 35% of SN'ers think that a JuCo SG will be the Shox' starting PG until Shamet returns?

SHJ seems to have a game a lot more reminiscent of Daishon Smith's than Ragland's or Hannah's.
                          The way the poll question was phrased was who would be the starting point guard when the ball is tossed up for the Henderson State game. It was not who will be the starting point guard when the season begins on November 10 against UMKC or who would be the starting PG until Shamet returns. I suppose it could be interpreted that way, but it could also be interpreted that this was only about the Exhibition game against Henderson State.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 10, 2017, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Conner has proven over and over again that he's not a point guard. He takes care of the ball like non one else, but the passes go side to side with Conner and he has no ability to penetrate. He's a great shooting guard and can fill in PG in a pinch, but the starting PG has to be someone else. All that said, he's still probably good enough to play PG against Henderson State, but I don't think he will.

Comment

I voted Conner just because of the uncertainty surrounding Reaves health. If Reaves is totally healthy and recovered it would probably be better if Reaves was PG.

Comment

Working...
                              X