Wichita State, The National Anthem, and Dr Rhatigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State, The National Anthem, and Dr Rhatigan

Thought I would share this story because it is solid proof that history repeats itself and also illustrates the greatness of our former Dean of Student Affairs.

After the 68 Olympics, when the two black athletes raised their fists to signify black power during the playing of the national anthem, a relatively small movement of support had spread to college athletes.

Prior to one of our home games, Dr Rhatigan learned through reliable sources that two of our players were prepared to give the black power salute during the playing of the national anthem. Knowing that this act would probably end their careers at Wichita State and maybe even as students at the university, Rhatigan wanted to buy some time to let differences be worked out and voiced another way. Thus, he politely asked the band director to play the anthem while the teams were in the locker room, thus not allowing what could've been an ugly scene to arise. Few thought anything of it and the anthem was played without players on the court for many years after that, maybe until Turgeon was coach. The black athletes worked out their differences with the school and no one was the wiser. Sometimes conflict avoidance is a skill not a weakness. Dr. Rhatigan was a brilliant Dean of Student Affairs who understood how to handle heat of the moment crisis better than anyone I have seen.

Think it could happen now?

Comment

If you want to be a politically active professional athlete, you better be on the right side of history.

Why does it feel like this current generation has little to no knowledge of Jackie Robinson or Jesse Owens.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

Please move to the political forum please.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHillShocker View Post
          There's a lengthy discussion in the political forum about the national anthem. I don't see why this particular post needs to be in the political forum.

This is an interesting piece of WSU basketball history, and as long as we all behave ourselves, I don't think it needs to be banished to the political forum where like 6 of us (and I think a few of those are just alt-accounts arguing with each other) will see it.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHillShocker View Post
            While you have a point, I wanted this somewhere it would be read, and noted that these issues are not new to our
            basketball program, in addition to showing how our leadership handled it.

I also really dislike the political forum and didn't want this to get sidetracked into a partisan food fight.

Comment

Working...
            X