***EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW SERIES --- Zach Bush Part 2***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW SERIES --- Zach Bush Part 2***

I think we all agree Zach was a true pleasure to watch during the five years he was a Shocker. We almost didn't get that pleasure, as Zach was signed sealed and almost delivered to Topeka where he was supposed to play for Washburn. After the dominoes fell, Zach wound up in Wichita. Zack talked candidly about that journey that led him to 21st and Hillside.

SHOXMVC: "You had an all-state career in high school and could have had a shining star career at Washburn. Take us through the path that brought you to WSU?"

Zach Bush: "Coming out of high school I had some interest from a few low major D1s that never turned into offers, and offers from about half of the MIAA conference and a number of JUCOs and NAIA schools. I always wanted to play at the highest level that I could, but I also wanted to give myself the best opportunity I could to develop as a player and to contribute to a team. Towards the end of my senior season Coach Jans started talking to me about walking on at WSU and gauging my interest. Ron and I had been on the same AAU team a couple summers before (Ron with 17s and myself with the 16s) and I had heard of the success he was having in his red shirt year and the way he was developing as a player so I was very intrigued. I was invited to come play pickup with the guys and ended up playing pretty well. I talked with Coach GM and my parents afterward about their invitation to walk-on and how they develop guys and their culture. I was impressed and excited but still didn't know what I wanted for sure. I had taken visits to Washburn, Fort Hays and Emporia State and was pretty sold on Washburn. My mother is from Topeka after her freshman year of running track at the University of Nebraska (she was a stud hurdler), transferred home to play Volleyball and Softball for the Ichabods, so I was very familiar with the school and the community. The Coaching staff there had sold me on the idea of becoming a great player there and all the potential they thought I had. I had developed a good relationship with the staff and really liked the players. One of my best friends at the time was also offered by Washburn and we were both extremely excited by the possibility of playing together. I was torn. On one side, I had dreams of playing at the highest level possible and push myself beyond my comfort zone. On the other side, I wanted to be a big piece of a team and give myself a chance to maybe play after college overseas. After a lot of thought and prayer I made my decision and went with Washburn. Originally I was happy and excited. Over that next summer before freshman year something inside me just didn't feel right and I wasn't at peace with my decision. I had a change of heart and decided the best place for me would be WSU. I knew I was giving up a free education and probably a lot of playing time and points, but I thought I would grow as a player and person the most here in Wichita. I wanted to prove people that thought I wasn't good enough to play division one basketball wrong and I wanted to give my dream a chance. Thankfully they still had a spot for me and welcomed me. It was pretty tough letting Washburn know I wouldn't be coming and they were pretty upset. They handled the whole thing pretty poorly IMO and said a lot of hurtful things to my parents and myself. They told me I wasn't good enough and probably wouldn't make it (Jokes on them cause 5 years later I graduated a student athlete from WSU with 5 rings, a heck of a lot of memories, and a knowledge and understanding of the game I wouldn't have if I had been anywhere else). While I didn't score a ton of points, I did earn a scholarship for a time, and grew a ton as a player and a person as well as spiritually. I also made some of my best friends in life here so things turned out pretty dang ok for me."

Whoa. Outstanding!!
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Whoa. Outstanding!!
      Pretty disappointing reaction from Washburn. I get that their recruiting is the lifeblood of their job security, but this wasn't Illinois State losing a recruit to Wichita State, this was an NAIA school.

Every kid is different and I think absolutely EVERY single one of us would defend the right to self-assess and guide our own lives and careers. After all, we're the ones who have to live with it.

It's a conversation I've had with one of my best friends who was in the exact same situation many years ago. All-district, could have played anywhere outside the P-5 and certainly D2/NAIA or below and been a star with a chance to roll up stats and create professional opportunities. Instead, 3 days before classes started he drove to the big-time university of his choice and enrolled. Introduced himself to the coaches and said he intended to walk on.

Four years later he was the captain of a Final Four team, but didn't get a single minute of playing time in the game.

And many years later he doesn't regret a single minute of it. I am sure it will be the same for Zach, good for him.

Not so good on you, Washburn.

Edit: I agree with Kung Wu though and didn't intend to imply otherwise; I intended to add a reply to the thread, not a reply to him.

Comment

Has Zach been scrimmaging with the current squad at all?
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
        X