Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***SHOCKERNET EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW With Paul Suellentrop PART 3***

This question with Paul has two parts:

SHOXMVC: "Of the three newcomers, which one(s) are poised to have a reasonable impact on this veteran laden team?"

Paul Suellentrop: "Haynes-Jones probably needs to at least replace Smith's production and ideally produce more. I don't expect Asbjorn Midtgaard to play a significant role with four experienced bigs in front of him. His job is to get ready for 2018-19. Rodgerick Brown, assuming he is successful in graduating early, faces a lot of competition for minutes on the wing and appears open to a redshirt season."

SHOXMVC: "With all significant pieces back from last years team, what specific player performances are vital to make a deep run in March, and hopefully April?"

Paul Suellentrop: "The Shockers are going to need more from Darral Willis with his defense and rebounding. He can score, especially if he develops any kind of move with his right hand. He needs to be ready to defend AAC big men when foul trouble hits Shaq Morris.

Haynes-Jones' contribution seems important for reasons already discussed.

Zach Brown works as much on his shooting as any Shocker I've seen. He shot 34.5 percent from three last season, which is OK. If he can bump that up a bit and avoid some of the cold streaks, it is a big help. He will be on the floor because of his defense and experience. He is probably the players opposing teams are going to want to shoot the ball, instead of Frankamp or Shamet, until he forces the defense to change."

Not sure I am totally buying that Asbjorn won't play a significant role because there are 4 bigs in front of him. I am assuming Paul is assuming is referring to Shaq, Rauno and Rashard. Not sure I see Rashard in front of Asbjorn at the 5.

If Asbjorn could fill the 3-headed monster at the 5 adequately behind Shaq and Rauno that would free up Darral and Rashard to absorb most of the minutes at the 4 with a little help form Markis when needed. If Rashard and Darral can fill most of the minutes at the 4 that allows Markis to play most of his minutes at the 3.'

I think there is a good chance this is how 3G will play it this year. Whether that is a significant role I suppose is a matter of opinion but I think it is a valuable role for this team.

Comment

I think that is a reasonably thought out plan for this team:)

Comment

If AM is good enough to see meaningful minutes this year, then we all should be excited.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Not sure I am totally buying that Asbjorn won't play a significant role because there are 4 bigs in front of him. I am assuming Paul is assuming is referring to Shaq, Rauno and Rashard. Not sure I see Rashard in front of Asbjorn at the 5.

If Asbjorn could fill the 3-headed monster at the 5 adequately behind Shaq and Rauno that would free up Darral and Rashard to absorb most of the minutes at the 4 with a little help form Markis when needed. If Rashard and Darral can fill most of the minutes at the 4 that allows Markis to play most of his minutes at the 3.'

I think there is a good chance this is how 3G will play it this year. Whether that is a significant role I suppose is a matter of opinion but I think it is a valuable role for this team.
          Markis, Rashard, Zach and Daryl are going to eat up 100% of the meaningful minutes at the 3/4. Shaq, Rauno, and Daryl will play all of the meaningful minutes at center. If Asbjorn or Brown earn floor minutes, look out!
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
            Markis, Rashard, Zach and Daryl are going to eat up 100% of the meaningful minutes at the 3/4. Shaq, Rauno, and Daryl will play all of the meaningful minutes at center. If Asbjorn or Brown earn floor minutes, look out!
            I assume CJ will see minutes before Brown. Do you add CJ to your last sentence, will he play guard as listed on the roster, or does he play ahead of Brown at the 3?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
              I assume CJ will see minutes before Brown. Do you add CJ to your last sentence, will he play guard as listed on the roster, or does he play ahead of Brown at the 3?
              I think CJ plays the 2 and the 3. I think he will have a hard time earning minutes against ZB and MM this year, so he will have to beat out SHJ, and AR for back up minutes to CF. most likely, the two freshman and CJ will be outside the 10 man rotation.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
              X