Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker 2017-18 Roster Updated

Updated Shocker Roster

Asbjorn is listed at 7-0, 270 (Interesting comments by 3G on Asbjorn's bio.)

Rod is listed at 6-6, 190

Samajae is listed at 6-0, 177

Shaq is listed at 6-8, 279

Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 17, 2017, 06:18 PM.

Shaq was listed at 265 on last year's roster so if he has slimmed down as some have reported he must have replaced some fat with muscle.

Samajae a bit more substantial than I thought, although very similar to Daishon last year.

C.J. listed at 185 vs 194 last year.

Landry listed at 180 vs 188 last year.

More quickness for C.J. and Landry?

Austin is listed at 174 vs 179 last year. Not what we were hoping for but not much he could do.

Rauno is listed at 232 vs 238 last year despite reports that he looks like he had really hit the weights. But again replacing some fat with muscle might be the key here.

Markis is listed at 203 vs 212 last year. Again not what we were hoping for. OTOH hand a lower weight does not necessarily equate to a weaker player and if quickness is enhanced it can be a good thing.

How accurate these figures are from year-to-year is an unknown.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 17, 2017, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Seven footer!
      Livin the dream

Comment

Donnie Jones' head shot in the new roster looks like he's about to put on a headset and walk on stage to tell me how to get rich doing house flips.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
          Donnie Jones' head shot in the new roster looks like he's about to put on a headset and walk on stage to tell me how to get rich doing house flips.
          Hopefully, he will prove adept at closing a few sales with some of our high profile recruits.

Comment

[QUOTE=1972Shocker;748006]Updated Shocker Roster

Asbjorn is listed at 7-0, 270 (Interesting comments by 3G on Asbjorn's bio.)

Rod is listed at 6-6, 190

Samajae is listed at 6-0, 177

Shaq is listed at 6-8, 279

A.M. hometown is Helsingor (Elsinore), Denmark. From SparkNotes I noticed this was the home of Hamlet. A quote he mentioned from Hamlet was "Give thy thoughts no tongue." How many times should I have gave heed to this sentiment, but hark, I just shant, can't and sometimes don't do so, right here on SN.

Maybe if R. Brown got them gym keys, he can invite Asbjorn, and Samajae so they can get a jump start on the up and coming Season. I'm thinking we have another sharp-shooter in Samajae, another rim protector in A.M. and another perpetual motion mover and shaker on both sides of the hardwood in RB.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

All those returning get their same uniform numbers except for Brett Barney, who gets Eric Hamilton's number 25. Brett's old number 4 goes to Samajae Haynes-Jones

Brycen Bush gets Daishon Smith's number 2.
              Rodgerick Brown gets Zach Bush's number 5.
              Jacob Herrs gets John Robert Simon's number 14.
              Asbjørn Midtgaard gets the unused number 22.

Comment

Those weights are odd. If our players are lifting and are already thin, they should gain muscle weight. I can't believe that Shaq is 280#. He's thick but not that thick.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  Those weights are odd. If our players are lifting and are already thin, they should gain muscle weight. I can't believe that Shaq is 280#. He's thick but not that thick.
                  Think Gus Santos thick:)

Comment

Does this mean SHJ is officially enrolled? I hadn't heard anything official and was getting just a little worried.
                    Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

I don’t know about you all but I’m concerned with the trend. I swear that guys of old looked like a brick house playing out there. Now days, it just seems like ballers prefer to do new-age fluffy yoga and function training. Will they have the body to withstand the AAC? We still have friends in the community and Maggie told me that her girlfriends of old would regularly see a few basketball athletes at Orange Theory. I’ll have to ask her to ask them which ones.

These guys need to put down the yoga mats and pick up the iron. More Wessel and less Baker.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Shaq was listed at 265 on last year's roster so if he has slimmed down as some have reported he must have replaced some fat with muscle.

C.J. listed at 185 vs 194 last year.

Landry listed at 180 vs 188 last year.

Austin is listed at 174 vs 179 last year.

Rauno is listed at 232 vs 238 last year.

Markis is listed at 203 vs 212 last year.

Comment

It's a balance. Yes, guys should be lifting...and I promise you that they are...but flexibility is just as important in basketball.

And I can also promise you that guys of old didn't hit the weights nearly as hard as they do now because basketball people didn't take weights seriously back in the MTXE era. That's not a knock but instead a fact. It just wasn't done in that timeframe.
                        78-65

Comment

General comments:

1. With the NBA continuing to gravitate toward mobility and away from the pound-it-inside, get-him-on-your-hip game I'm surprised (chagrined?) (disappointed?) that Shaq put on weight. Particularly after getting a draft assessment. I guess my reaction would depend on what the feedback was, but I would have bet on at least part of that feedback is "get leaner and quicker in transition". Maybe not. I guess I always thought there was a very high correlation between his NBA chances and his weight. It's indisputable that the NBA is his ceiling, and when you look at the guys he would have to guard...

2. My opinion on the yoga depends on where it lies on the spectrum from "basic (mostly stretching) yoga as a primary part of conditioning" to "intermediate/advanced yoga (which very much combines strength and flexibility) as an augmentation of training.

3. If you've never done an intermediate or advanced yoga class, try one and tell me how it goes. I used to go when I was younger and doing deadlifts, hang cleans, and weighted dips as a part of my gym workout; depending on the class it's a legit strength workout. And it mixes the strength with flexibility (gym lifts typically don't), which has become more important for approximately the last 20 years in the NBA with no end in sight. I know two guys who were strength coaches for college football and basketball programs, and they unequivocally supported it as an important augmentation to conditioning. Kerry Rosenboom is more accomplished than either of them, but I'd be suprised if he disagreed.

4. To be fair, we are talking about 20 year old guys - they could have been at Orange Theory for reasons more related to yoga pants and less related to a deep NCAA tournament run.

5. To end my response on a tangent, someone mentioned Gus Santos. There's an even money chance that on my deathbed my last words will be "Gus got the shot off!" in reference to his overtime shot in the famous 1987 Fordham "Gatorade Cooler Dump" game.

Comment

Here is an interview Paul had with the new players that was posted yesterday on YouTube.

Paul Suellentrop spoke briefly to three Shocker newcomers to learn about their favorite movies, pre-game rituals and a Gregg Marshall basketball practice.

Comment

Speaking of a Shocker roster, when is the Shocker Madness night this year and a time?
                              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Working...
                              X