***SHOCKERNET EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW With Paul Suellentrop PART 2***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***SHOCKERNET EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW With Paul Suellentrop PART 2***

The following question seems to be timely relevant around the injury to Austin Reaves. Let's see what Paul thinks about it!

SHOXMVC: "The most recent injury to Landry is a blow to the Shockers as they prepare for what could be a very special season. Can you comment on the downside of the injury, but also how it might mean opportunity for other players to grow sooner and step up?"

PAUL SUELLENTROP: "The downside of the injury is if it keeps him out past early November. Shamet seems confident it's not an issue and at this point I will go by his instincts. He's a sharp, mature person, so if he is optimistic about his timetable, I won't argue. I'm not too worried about his conditioning. I know he can do things to stay in reasonable shape and I expect him to play effectively when he does return. It would be ideal to get him a game before the Maui Invitational.

Samajae Haynes-Jones must adapt quickly and he missed out on the benefit of summer practices while he completed his work at Hutchinson Community College. We've long talked about how transfers struggle early and figure things out in January. This season, Haynes-Jones will figure things out against SMU and Temple, not Drake and Bradley.

Austin Reaves is again starting over after shoulder rehab. He played very well last season in non-conference play. His minutes dipped in January and February (in part due to injury), so it's not clear at what level he can contribute at in the American Athletic Conference.

So that leaves Conner Frankamp as a healthy, experienced guard who has played significant minutes in big games as we sit in August.

Daishon Smith could have worked his way into a bigger role with this team and I'm not sure sitting out a season to play one at Louisiana-Monroe is the outcome he envisioned when he decided to transfer."

Interesting that he chimed in about Daishon and how he disagrees with his decision to transfer. I also agree with Paul, I think Daishon could have helped out a lot for depth. Obviously if Landry was healthy, he wouldn't have a lot of minutes, but I think he would have been a solid first option to sub in for Landry. I'm still a little bummed he decided to transfer.

Comment

Well, this is proof that Paul regularly peruses ShockerNet. I think it hit all the points many of us were discussing regarding the four main options at point and then threw in Daishon for extra measure. Daishon's decision may prove beneficial to a future Shocker as proof the grass isn't always greener on the other side. (I know there is more than likely more to his decsion to transfer but he truly had a much better chance to contribute to a national championship contender if he had stayed in Wichita).

Comment

According to the stat sheet totals on GoShockers.com, Daishon stats proved his quickness as he was 2nd in steals with 35 for the Shocks and we all remember his ESPN worthy dunk versus Oklahoma. CF and LS had more assists but played more minutes. After losing his starting position, it appeared to me that his shooting % dipped and it was not as good as AR, CF, or LS in FG % or 3-point %. That is nothing to be ashamed of because all three returning guards are "lights out shooters." Normally with Juco players here, they do perform better their Senior Season. DS decided to move on, so it is what it is.

I'm a Samajae fan. He will have a learning curve that all new Shocks must deal with, but in due time, I like his smooth and consistent play on the court and love the fact that a solid local star really wanted to be a Shocker. Time will tell, but my thoughts are we will really be glad we signed him and he will be another solid Shocker guard that can handle the ball, score, defend, and find his niche in our rotation. He was the first point guard that quarterbacked Steve Eck at Hutch to his first Juco National Championship. We like players to join us that are used to leading and winning.
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Paul may or may not know the whole story behind Daishon's transfer. But whether that decision was primarily made by Daishon or by 3G someone decided that Daishon would perhaps fit better and/or be happier elsewhere. It really makes little difference whether Paul or anyone else thinks that was the right move. It's history now so hopefully Samajae proves to be an adequate repalcement for Daishon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
            Well, this is proof that Paul regularly peruses ShockerNet. I think it hit all the points many of us were discussing regarding the four main options at point and then threw in Daishon for extra measure. Daishon's decision may prove beneficial to a future Shocker as proof the grass isn't always greener on the other side. (I know there is more than likely more to his decsion to transfer but he truly had a much better chance to contribute to a national championship contender if he had stayed in Wichita).
            Or he could have looked at the roster and not SN
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

My guess is that Daishon wanted to start. He lost his spot to a freshman who proved to be a likely NBA player, so he wasn't going to win it back. He wanted to finish his career leading a program. This just my speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                Or he could have looked at the roster and not SN
                Or I could have misplaced that damn sarcasm font...

Comment

re Daishon: I have a feeling Dan has hit the nail on the head. GGG sounded really surprised about Daishon leaving. It's too bad for us but maybe not for /him/.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                    According to the stat sheet totals on GoShockers.com, Daishon stats proved his quickness as he was 2nd in steals with 35 for the Shocks and we all remember his ESPN worthy dunk versus Oklahoma. CF and LS had more assists but played more minutes. After losing his starting position, it appeared to me that his shooting % dipped and it was not as good as AR, CF, or LS in FG % or 3-point %. That is nothing to be ashamed of because all three returning guards are "lights out shooters." Normally with Juco players here, they do perform better their Senior Season. DS decided to move on, so it is what it is.

I'm a Samajae fan. He will have a learning curve that all new Shocks must deal with, but in due time, I like his smooth and consistent play on the court and love the fact that a solid local star really wanted to be a Shocker. Time will tell, but my thoughts are we will really be glad we signed him and he will be another solid Shocker guard that can handle the ball, score, defend, and find his niche in our rotation. He was the first point guard that quarterbacked Steve Eck at Hutch to his first Juco National Championship. We like players to join us that are used to leading and winning.
                    Papi Conley was the lead point guard at Hutch.
                    Jones played point when Conley rested.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol skool View Post
                      Papi Conley was the lead point guard at Hutch.
                      Jones played point when Conley rested.
                      Sounds like he will be learning both the 1 and 2 here too so that is awesome.
                      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

I think Rod Brown will make us forget about Daishon Smith

Comment

Working...
                        X