Trent Johnson leaves Stanford for LSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trent Johnson leaves Stanford for LSU

Trent Johnson is leaving Stanford after four seasons to become the new coach at LSU, according to several media reports.

Trent Johnson is leaving Stanford after four seasons to become the new coach at LSU, according to reports in the Louisiana media and online.

Johnson, who led Stanford to three NCAA tournaments and a trip to this year's Sweet 16, has reached a verbal agreement with the Tigers. Former coach John Brady was fired during the 2007-08 season.

An announcement has not been scheduled. LSU recently hired Joe Alleva to replace Skip Bertman as athletic director. Alleva was Duke's AD since 1998.

The development comes on the heels of Massachusetts coach Travis Ford saying he didn't want to be considered for LSU's opening and another candidate, Tony Bennett Jr. of Washington State, announcing he would not leave his current job.

Johnson, who had one year left on his contract, was 81-48 with the Cardinal after replacing Mike Montgomery as coach. Montgomery, who spent 18 seasons in Palo Alto, rejoined the Pac-10 last week when he was hired across the Bay at Cal.

At Stanford, Johnson also lost twins Brook and Robin Lopez; the sophomores announced March 31 that they would hire agents and thus forgo their remaining two years of college eligibility.

Not sure if I understand that one...

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock
      Not sure if I understand that one...
      I'm not sure I do either, however the quote below could be part of the reason... maybe Stanford was asleep at the wheel or he didn't feel they were committed enough to him for the future? I'm sure there's more to the story.

"Johnson, who had one year left on his contract, was 81-48 with the Cardinal after replacing Mike Montgomery as coach."
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

and the twins left him

Comment

Johnson was supposed to meet with the Administration after the conclusion of thier season. He got pushed off. He was then supposed to meet at the Final Four. He was pushed off again. So he pushed off and went to LSU.

Comment

The coaching merry-go-round sorta chucked up a hair ball on this one.

The Stanford job might be more attractive to many coaches than the LSU job.

One year left on his contract? Dang! Hinson had more than that and everybody knew he was gone a year ago. It is impossible to recruit with a one-year contract.

Was the LSU job so unattractive that they had to hire a coach who was being eased out the door? Or was it that no one wanted to be the coach at LSU who lost the 3rd straight game to WSU?
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

So where is Anthony Grant going?

I thought Grant to LSU was an easy one.
              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
              -John Wooden

Comment

Lets see he's going from a school with admission standards as tough as the Ivy League schools to a school where if you can spell your name you're in. Certainly makes recruiting a whole lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by GarH
                  Lets see he's going from a school with admission standards as tough as the Ivy League schools to a school where if you can spell your name you're in. Certainly makes recruiting a whole lot easier.

We have a winner!

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                    Was the LSU job so unattractive that they had to hire a coach who was being eased out the door? Or was it that no one wanted to be the coach at LSU who lost the 3rd straight game to WSU?

This is actually an attractive hire for LSU. Johnson has coached two schools to sweet 16s and neither are that easy of a place to make that happen. He also coached and recruited highly successful big men in the Lopez twins and Nick Fazekas could help LSU hang on to its 5 star stud out of Dallas.

Comment

Talk about a downgrade..
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I'm with 7hot on this one. I think it is a great hire for LSU.

Trent Johnson was very successful at Nevada and once he got his own players into Stanford they had a very successful season this year. In my opinion this is a much better hire than Anthony Grant. What exactly has Grant proven consistently? His team surprised people in 2007 and won the CAA Tournament and then beat Duke on a last second shot in the 1st Round. This year his team was the heavy favorite to win the CAA, which they did, but then lost early in their tournament and didn't make the NCAA's.

Johnson reached the Sweet 16 at Nevada and laid the foundation for the success that they have had over the past three years, he went to the NCAA Tournament in three of four seasons at Stanford and made the Sweet 16 this season. He will have success at LSU.

Comment

I think it's as good as LSU could have hoped to do BUT he's never recruited the South.

Comment

I thought I read somewhere that Grant had been offered a new contract by VCU but had not yet signed it. I know, my thinking can get me in trouble. I have nothing to back this up, but I know I either read it or heard it. Oh well, we'll know soon enough where he will be.

Comment

Absolutely, a great hire for LSU, of course Ft. Hays State landing Rick Pitino would also be a great hire.
                              Unleash Brett Burley, let all tremble before him!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X