Vegas: The Fine Art of Betting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegas: The Fine Art of Betting

"Carpenter: Sneak peek at Part II of the summer series on sports betting" - Rantoul Press

by Zack Carpenter
    07/11/2017 - 12:02pm

"When I was a sophomore in college, I watched as four friends — one jumping on the couch, another shielding his eyes, one with his face two inches from the TV and another on all fours desperately looking up at the screen — gutted out the final 30 seconds of a college basketball game between Wichita State and Western Kentucky at 3 in the morning during ESPN’s Tip-Off Marathon..."

"NCAA College Basketball Tournament Odds: Is Michigan State Favored? 8/3/17" - The Spread

by Anthony Rome
    Created: 03 August 2017

"Here's a look at the updated 2018 Men's College Basketball odds to win, with Michigan State listed as the favorite.

1. 15/2 Michigan State
    2. 8/1 Arizona
    3. 11/1 Duke
    4. 11/1 Kentucky
    5. 12/1 Kansas
    6. 16/1 Louisville
    7. 20/1 North Carolina

8. 22/1 Wichita State

9. 25/1 Missouri
    10. 28/1 Florida
    10. 28/1 Villanova
    12. 30/1 Texas
    12. 30/1 USC
    `4. 33/1 Michigan
    14. 33/1 UCLA..."

Comment

While in Vegas last week, I got my bet in on Wichita State at 30/1.

Comment

I know Mizzou has Michael Porter and all, but damn that's some thick kool aid that Vegas is drinkin'. 25/1 on the Tigers?
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
          I know Mizzou has Michael Porter and all, but damn that's some thick kool aid that Vegas is drinkin'. 25/1 on the Tigers?
          I believe the kool-aid is coming almost entirely out of the show me state. There are some folks here that would put serious amounts of money on the Tigers at 25/1 because in their mind it would be a steal.

And then they would proceed to tell me all the rumors that support the idea that Porter is going to come back for his sophomore year after winning Mizzou a title.

Comment

"NCAA title odds: Oklahoma, UCLA among five best under-the-radar bets for 2017-18" - CBS Sports

by Kyle Boone
            08/08/17, 9:00am

College hoops season is months away, but now is a good a time to start separating preseason contenders from pretenders before the season sneaks up -- when we have our heads turned, paying attention to the NFL and college football. Last season, we laid out several teams sporting preseason odds longer than 60-to-1 with a realistic shot of competing for a national title -- and two of them, UCLA and Michigan -- made runs in the NCAA Tournament. So if you're looking to wager a little cheddar before the preseason hype mars your betting vision or waters down the odds, now is as good as time as any. Here are five to watch, and worth considering a bet on today (odds courtesy of Westgate SuperBook in Las Vegas).

1. Wichita State | National title odds: 25/1

There's excellent value in Wichita State at 20/1. The Shockers find themselves in a new conference -- the American Athletic -- after leaving the smaller Missouri Valley. They'll go from facing Illinois State and Drake to Cincinnati, SMU and Tulsa -- and that only will strengthen the profile. As the saying goes: "To be the best, you have to beat the best." The Shockers will have more opportunities vs. quality foes in conference play, and consequently increase their chances at a potential top seed come Selection Sunday.

Led by Landry Shamet and Shaq Morris, Gregg Marshall returns all five starters from a 31-5 team that just missed another Sweet 16. If they can dodge the same bracket as Kentucky for the umpteenth time, there's a real possibility for a big run in the Big Dance. Jump on the Shockers' bandwagon while good seats are still available.

2. UCLA | Odds: 40/1
            3. Xavier | Odds: 60/1
            4. Oklahoma | Odds: 80/1
            5. Texas A&M | Odds: 100/1..."

Comment

oklahoma is going to be much improved this year. thank god we get them here.. but still..

Comment

I didn’t agree with my Father-in-Law Lennard all the time but there was two good qualities he taught me.

First, the need to develop a strong immunity to everything. Insults, injuries, pain, age, and all the negativity life sometimes throws at you.

Secondly, an undeniable truth that the word of God is certain. When it comes to betting or gambling in any form, I’m reminded by this verse.

1 Timothy 6:9-10

”But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.”
                Last edited by RoyalShock; August 11, 2017, 08:19 AM. Reason: Made font color automatic so everyone can read it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoxMTXE View Post
                  I didn’t agree with my Father-in-Law Lennard all the time but there was two good qualities he taught me.

First, the need to develop a strong immunity to everything. Insults, injuries, pain, age, and all the negativity life sometimes throws at you.

Secondly, an undeniable truth that the word of God is certain. When it comes to betting or gambling in any form, I’m reminded by this verse.

1 Timothy 6:9-10

”But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.”
                  Oookaaay, lighten up Francis.

Comment

Originally posted by wu-unit View Post
                    While in Vegas last week, I got my bet in on Wichita State at 30/1.
                    Of course I put $100 on them to win the title in the middle of April when I was in Vegas and only got them at 20/1....weird!

Comment

Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
                      Of course I put $100 on them to win the title in the middle of April when I was in Vegas and only got them at 20/1....weird!
                      That might be because too many people are seeing value in WSU, and Vegas needs to reduce their risk.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                        That might be because too many people are seeing value in WSU, and Vegas needs to reduce their risk.
                        You have it backwards, Vegas is trying to get more money on WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawman View Post
                          Oookaaay, lighten up Francis.
                          Don't you mean St. Francis.

Maybe not. Yesterday, @ShoxMTXE was at his pulpit above lecturing the board about the evils of gambling by quoting the bible. Then today he is posting that his son is encouraging him to watch Brokeback Mountain which came out in 2005 because he likes Western movies.

I have to say that my troll antennae are starting to twitch a bit.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 9, 2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              Don't you mean St. Francis.

Maybe not. Yesterday, @ShoxMTXE was at his pulpit above lecturing the board about the evils of gambling by quoting the bible. Then today he is posting that his son is encouraging him to watch Brokeback Mountain which came out in 2005 because he likes Western movies.

I have to say that my troll antennae are starting to twitch a bit.
                              I'm impressed he's managed to hold back for 4+ years.

Comment

Working...
                              X