The Return of the Six Gun Six Seniors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Return of the Six Gun Six Seniors

Here's the deal. When I was knee high to a grasshoppa, I was already a Shocker fan convert for life but don't recall such lofty rankings early on like we have witnessed this preseason. Many moons ago I recall a caller on the Coaches Show commenting to Mike Kennedy of the importance of Seniors to assist in having epic Seasons. 3G added an amendment to the caller's opinion by adding they have to also be very solid Seniors as well for this to apply. So allow my attempt to interdigitate my slanted Shocker heart with real world reality to see if all these experts ranking us so high are remotely accurate. Since the Shocks do not depend on the one and done angle, the importance of solid experience and quality depth, led by six seniors could be of essence. We have a tough schedule which now include the battles to be faced at the AAC Corral in search of another tango/dance in March with the stars. And they were 6!!!!!! Yes, we return 6 substantial seniors who will all strive to finish strong.

1. Conner Frankamp--The conversion by 3G of CF playing more at the 2 slot was a key to him gaining confidence and stepping his game up a few notches. He was huge at the Lew finals versus the birds that were red. CF finished with 96 assists, 27 steals, and only 24 turnovers last Season. At the Dance, he was receiving lots of special attention from our foes because of his laser sharpshooting abilities with deep range. Having the 1-2 shooting punch of CF and Landry gives our foes double trouble.

2. Zach Brown--When you look at his stats on offense, nothing reaches out and touches you as much as his 'tough as nails' defense. Many times, ZB draws the task of stopping our foes very best players to slow down their roll to a mild roar. The Marshall Plan requires "hair on fire" defense and playing time is the fruits of such labor. Even so, ZB also has given us some big moments with important baskets on offense too. Since our defense fuels our offense at times, look for ZB to have an epic Senior Season.

3. ShaqWall--So what's the big deal with Shaq and his fouling? Only 2 Shocks fouled out all Last Season in 36 games, and Shaq was one of them. Let's just say we want Shaq attacks on the hardwood without the 25 foot away needless touch fouls which leads him to the pine bench. Shaq led our squad with 35 blocked shots and him and Willis were our top rebounders per minute played. When Shaq is in his Shaq-groove mode, we are a very tough to beat team. We need Shaq to really shine this very Season.

4. R. Kelly--He was one of our top rotation players in FG % and one of our best rebounders. Kelly brings his tough "Machine Gun Kelly" full metal jacket lunch bucket into play every minute he plays on both sides of the hardwood. He hustles like a rock star and if you are a redbird throwing MM around, Kelly will pay you a visit on the spot. Kelly to me is one of our leaders on the floor, even if he is not lighting up the stat sheet. Whether his role is a starter, or coming of the bench, he will leave his all out there on the court.

5. D. Willis--Willis final stats were similar the the Junior year Carl Hall who we called a beast. I just hope this solid rebounder has a Senior Season like Hall did. Willis did block 29 shots but led our team with 54 turnovers and 87 fouls. Our Juco players seem to usually play much better their Senior Season and this would be huge if Willis does the this too. If he shores up the issues with the pivot foot and learns to kick it back out when he is covered up, he could be a key for us and I really dig his potential.

6. R. Nurger--I hereby have added Rauno to join the unofficial "Bruise-Brother-Bigs" of Shaq, Kelly, and Willis. Why? Because 3G wants him to play angry and keep improving. His .464% on 3-pointers is not chopped liver and his height and foot speed can cause our foes some match-up issues. We have seen him improve and another Season of that in a deluxe mode will be music to our ears. He is team oriented and gave up his needed redshirt a few Seasons ago to help his team.

So in conclusion, what about them Shocks? There will always be the skeptics that will have a jaundiced viewpoint of us. Even so, these 6 Seniors will come primed and ready to bless us with experienced leadership and quality depth. Are we Final 4 good like the Season we were picked to finish 4th in the Valley? How about Elite 8 or Sweet 16 good? Don't expect the AAC teams to roll over in fear of us because this is competitive Conference with well coached teams for us to land up in to better prepare us to new potential heights. We also have 7 other solid Shocks led by Shamet and MM that will keep us on the cutting edge of winning games, even with the tougher schedule IMO. I will even cheer for the Navy football team because we are elated just to be promoted to this fine Conference. It has been said "Be careful what you ask for in this life because it may just happen." Well, we wanted it in Shocker Nation and now we got it. Buckle up for a thrilling 2017/18 Season because it will be a Season of Seasons to remember!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by forevershockerfan; July 1, 2017, 06:18 PM.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

What a fantastic senior class! We have speed, strength and skill. Height is mediocre. It's going to be a great season!
    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
      What a fantastic senior class! We have speed, strength and skill. Height is mediocre. It's going to be a great season!
      No doubt a solid and very experienced senior group and still, if the Shockers are to reach the lofty expectations being placed on them, a sophomore (Landry) and a junior (Markis), will be probably have to be the main drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
        Here's the deal. When I was knee high to a grasshoppa, I was already a Shocker fan convert for life but don't recall such lofty rankings early on like we have witnessed this preseason. Many moons ago I recall a caller on the Coaches Show commenting to Mike Kennedy of the importance of Seniors to assist in having epic Seasons. 3G added an amendment to the caller's opinion by adding they have to also be very solid Seniors as well for this to apply. So allow my attempt to interdigitate my slanted Shocker heart with real world reality to see if all these experts ranking us so high are remotely accurate. Since the Shocks do not depend on the one and done angle, the importance of solid experience and quality depth, led by six seniors could be of essence. We have a tough schedule which now include the battles to be faced at the AAC Corral in search of another tango/dance in March with the stars. And they were 6!!!!!! Yes, we return 6 substantial seniors who will all strive to finish strong.

1. Conner Frankamp--The conversion by 3G of CF playing more at the 2 slot was a key to him gaining confidence and stepping his game up a few notches. He was huge at the Lew finals versus the birds that were red. CF finished with 96 assists, 27 steals, and only 24 turnovers last Season. At the Dance, he was receiving lots of special attention from our foes because of his laser sharpshooting abilities with deep range. Having the 1-2 shooting punch of CF and Landry gives our foes double trouble.

2. Zach Brown--When you look at his stats on offense, nothing reaches out and touches you as much as his 'tough as nails' defense. Many times, ZB draws the task of stopping our foes very best players to slow down their roll to a mild roar. The Marshall Plan requires "hair on fire" defense and playing time is the fruits of such labor. Even so, ZB also has given us some big moments with important baskets on offense too. Since our defense fuels our offense at times, look for ZB to have an epic Senior Season.

3. ShaqWall--So what's the big deal with Shaq and his fouling? Only 2 Shocks fouled out all Last Season in 36 games, and Shaq was one of them. Let's just say we want Shaq attacks on the hardwood without the 25 foot away needless touch fouls which leads him to the pine bench. Shaq led our squad with 35 blocked shots and him and Willis were our top rebounders per minute played. When Shaq is in his Shaq-groove mode, we are a very tough to beat team. We need Shaq to really shine this very Season.

4. R. Kelly--He was one of our top rotation players in FG % and one of our best rebounders. Kelly brings his tough "Machine Gun Kelly" full metal jacket lunch bucket into play every minute he plays on both sides of the hardwood. He hustles like a rock star and if you are a redbird throwing MM around, Kelly will pay you a visit on the spot. Kelly to me is one of our leaders on the floor, even if he is not lighting up the stat sheet. Whether his role is a starter, or coming of the bench, he will leave his all out there on the court.

5. D. Willis--Willis final stats were similar the the Junior year Carl Hall who we called a beast. I just hope this solid rebounder has a Senior Season like Hall did. Willis did block 29 shots but led our team with 54 turnovers and 87 fouls. Our Juco players seem to usually play much better their Senior Season and this would be huge if Willis does the this too. If he shores up the issues with the pivot foot and learns to kick it back out when he is covered up, he could be a key for us and I really dig his potential.

6. R. Nurger--I hereby have added Rauno to join the unofficial "Bruise-Brother-Bigs" of Shaq, Kelly, and Willis. Why? Because 3G wants him to play angry and keep improving. His .464% on 3-pointers is not chopped liver and his height and foot speed can cause our foes some match-up issues. We have seen him improve and another Season of that in a deluxe mode will be music to our ears. He is team oriented and gave up his needed redshirt a few Seasons ago to help his team.

So in conclusion, what about them Shocks? There will always be the skeptics that will have a jaundiced viewpoint of us. Even so, these 6 Seniors will come primed and ready to bless us with experienced leadership and quality depth. Are we Final 4 good like the Season we were picked to finish 4th in the Valley? How about Elite 8 or Sweet 16 good? Don't expect the AAC teams to roll over in fear of us because this is competitive Conference with well coached teams for us to land up in to better prepare us to new potential heights. We also have 7 other solid Shocks led by Shamet and MM that will keep us on the cutting edge of winning games, even with the tougher schedule IMO. I will even cheer for the Navy football team because we are elated just to be promoted to this fine Conference. It has been said "Be careful what you ask for in this life because it may just happen." Well, we wanted it in Shocker Nation and now we got it. Buckle up for a thrilling 2017/18 Season because it will be a Season of Seasons to remember!!!!!!!!!!!
        sadly, the shockers are missing the intimadating shot-blocker.. so i can't honestly predict a final-four in the offing. possibly elite-eight, though. very possibly top-ten type season.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          No doubt a solid and very experienced senior group and still, if the Shockers are to reach the lofty expectations being placed on them, a sophomore (Landry) and a junior (Markis), will be probably have to be the main drivers.
          I think you can add Shaq to your list of main drivers.

Shaq sees a possibility of the NBA in his future. That's MOTIVATION! There's more motivation from knowing he'll be playing against a much better level of post players next year. I'm guessing Shaq is working this summer like he's never worked before. I think we only saw glimpses last year of what he can do if he's motivated and driven. I think he's going to go way past anything he did last year.

That leaves Zach Brown - who says to opponents "How you gonna run your offense with me in the middle of it?"

Then there's Conner Frankamp - who tells them "I'm gonna keep one of you guys 30' from the basket while we send 3 guys crashing the boards for offensive rebounds. Or you could decide not to guard me 30' from the basket."
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            I think you can add Shaq to your list of main drivers.

Shaq sees a possibility of the NBA in his future. That's MOTIVATION! There's more motivation from knowing he'll be playing against a much better level of post players next year. I'm guessing Shaq is working this summer like he's never worked before. I think we only saw glimpses last year of what he can do if he's motivated and driven. I think he's going to go way past anything he did last year.

That leaves Zach Brown - who says to opponents "How you gonna run your offense with me in the middle of it?"

Then there's Conner Frankamp - who tells them "I'm gonna keep one of you guys 30' from the basket while we send 3 guys crashing the boards for offensive rebounds. Or you could decide not to guard me 30' from the basket."
            No doubt about. Shaq is probably the key member of this senior class. This senior class certainly will be key components and must play well for the Shocks to do well but I don't believe they will be the straw that stirs the drink. I did not intend to imply that wasn't the case and I don't think I did. But the bottom line is we go as far as Landry and Markis can lead this group with Landry especially being the key man.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              No doubt about. Shaq is probably the key member of this senior class. This senior class certainly will be key components and must play well for the Shocks to do well but I don't believe they will be the straw that stirs the drink. I did not intend to imply that wasn't the case and I don't think I did. But the bottom line is we go as far as Landry and Markis can lead this group with Landry especially being the key man.
              don't rule out nurger. 6'10" post man with a motor. he had better be a senior contributor, consistently good from start to finish.. because tacko fall is out there now.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                don't rule out nurger. 6'10" post man with a motor. he had better be a senior contributor, consistently good from start to finish.. because tacko fall is out there now.
                I haven't ruled out anybody. I agree the Senior class will all be key contributors. I am just expressing the opinion that Landry and Markis will be the lead dogs. The senior class and a few other guys will be the swing dogs and the wheel dogs. Very necessary to be a good team but not the leaders of the team. We might survive a less than stellar year from Markis but I don't think this will happen. Not sure we can do well with Landry having a less than stellar year.

Perhaps Shaq, as @Aargh mentions, will break out into a leadership role in his senior year but I think the consensus is pretty unanimous that Landry is expected to lead this team and we need a big year from Markis to reach the Final Four expectations be bandied about. This doesn't diminish the role of any other Shocker player. We will need everyone to fulfill there roles on this team.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post

It will be a prefect blueprint for future Shocker's to copy!!!
                  SHOCKERS & AWE

"Go Ahead, Try To Jinx Us" ~ The Monsters Of The Midwest

"Wichita State fans bring the noise to another level. The roar
                  gets into your skull, giving you a mild case of vertigo."

Comment

This is a Shocker team that really shined last Season considering the Van/Bake connection was NBA bound. Yes, a few early losses to Michigan State and Louisville but also a team that ended up with around a 15 game winning streak before losing at the Dance. So we have everybody back except Smith who had had his fair share of steals and had his moments. Enter a more smooth and consistent (IMO) S. Jones. We still are in a holding mode on Austin who if he can get well and stay healthy could be outstanding for us. Enter A.M. inside, whom I am speculating will be better than advertised. Brown coming in for Brown could be like a spark of energy that we will really like but our foes will not.

So why all the hype about this team and these glittering predictions from oodles of experts and we have not even hit the floor yet? The cornerstone will be the tripod of MM, LS, and Shaq. If these three all have a big Season, watch out!!! Next, just imagine Austin can play and we know Jones can shoot the rock, so can you think of many teams that will have 4 guards that can shoot the rock, even with range out at the corner of 21st and Hillside like these 4? Show me a team with solid guards at a Dance and they will have an impact. What if Austin gets a medical redshirt? CJ is to learn the 2 and 3 slot and Zach could give CF a rest and play the 2. So then we could do 1.LS 2. ZB 3. MM 4. Willis/Kelly 5. Shaq. Okay, I could live with that lineup in a pinch. Ha!!!

Shot blocking will be by done by committee led by Shaq. How about our team defense improving this Season with such quality depth and experience. How many times has our stingy D. fueled our big runs? With all of this said, with this tough schedule and new Conference we have been longing for, the Shocker trek will not be all sunshine with cloudless skies, rainbows, lolipops, or easy-street. Will we still be road warriors against stiffer competition all Season long? We will Not be sneaking up on our foes because they are reading all of this preseason hype along with us and will attempt to rain on the new team in town Shocker parade and attempt to upset our black and yellow turnip truck. It's going to be a fun-packed exciting ride though. Think back not so long ago. The Shocks were still respected here at home games but nothing overall the threat to our foes as we are now. This is what the Shocks always wanted and were striving for and now we can enjoy the ride.

Comment

Just so we don't see a lot of "auditioning" this year. Gregg won't allow it.
                      Last edited by Mr. Obvious; July 2, 2017, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Not only does Gregg surround our Program with superb Staff of diligent men that always shave and work hard, he also keeps the Shocks humble. This is conditioning time where the lights are not beaming down. The blood, sweat, and tears are noticed by few but pay off downstream. Nobody will outwork Coach Marshall but all involved are expected to give their all and he sets the prime example. The auditioning will take care of itself when the time is right. Even last Season, it was said at halftime at the Lew finals that we might not Dance if we don't win the game, even after putting together a huge winning streak. We are spoiled as fans and used to the Shocks Dancing now but it has been a thin line several different Seasons where a mishap or two could have downgraded the awesome success we have enjoyed.

Comment

We will return all five of last year's starters:

1. Shamet - 6-4 so
                          2. Frankamp - 6-1 sr
                          3. Brown - 6-6 sr
                          4. McDuffie - 6-8 jr
                          5. Morris - 6-8 sr

Returning Bench:

Guard - Reaves, 6-4 so; Keyser, 6-3 so
                          Forward - Kelly, 6-7 sr
                          Post - Nurger, 6-10 sr; Willis 6-9 sr

Newcomers:

Guard - Haynes-Jones, 6-1 jr
                          Forward - R. Brown, 6-7 fr
                          Post - Midtgaard, 6-11 fr
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                            sadly, the shockers are missing the intimadating shot-blocker.. so i can't honestly predict a final-four in the offing. possibly elite-eight, though. very possibly top-ten type season.
                            We have a team of shot blockers although no one dominant shot blocker. Duff, Shaq, Darryl, Kelly, CJ, and Brown can fly and reject shots.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                              We have a team of shot blockers although no one dominant shot blocker. Duff, Shaq, Darryl, Kelly, CJ, and Brown can fly and reject shots.
                              This is the TRUTH!!!
                              SHOCKERS & AWE

"Go Ahead, Try To Jinx Us" ~ The Monsters Of The Midwest

"Wichita State fans bring the noise to another level. The roar
                              gets into your skull, giving you a mild case of vertigo."

Comment

Working...
                              X