2017-18 MVC Auto Bid NCAA Seed Prediction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017-18 MVC Auto Bid NCAA Seed Prediction

As we wave fondly goodbye to the MVC, how will they fare after we are gone, what will the MVC Auto Bid winner in March 2018 receive as their seed in the upcoming season?

Historical Data

Auto Bid
    2017 - WSU (10-seed)
    2016 - N. Iowa (11-seed)
    2015 - N. Iowa (5-seed)
    2014 - WSU (1-seed)
    2013 - Creighton (7-seed)
    2012 - Creighton (8-seed)

At-large
    2017 - None
    2016 - WSU (11-seed)
    2015 - WSU (7-seed)
    2014 - None
    2013 - WSU (9-seed)
    2012 - WSU (5-seed)
    14>= Seed
    21.28%
    13 Seed
    42.55%
    12 Seed
    23.40%
    11 Seed
    10.64%
    10<= Seed
    2.13%

The poll is expired.

I selected 12 Seed. I also don't think we will see anyone from the MVC getting an At-large for a very long lone long long long time.

Comment

Indiana State was a 14 when they got the autobid, right? Let's go with that.

Comment

There should ve a "i Don't Really Care" option.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

13 seed

Comment

The fact that we were a 10 seed and 17-1 Illinois State didn't get an at-large, as well as my guess that the MVC will be even weaker than last year, I'm going with the auto bid being a 14 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
              Indiana State was a 14 when they got the autobid, right? Let's go with that.
              They finished 3rd in the regular season and were the 4th rated KenPom team that year. Upset winners in St. Louis will always pull a poor seed.

Most 1 or 2 seeds who win St. Louis (and that seems to be the case the majority of the time) will likely be better than a 14 seed. Seeds 14-16 eat up the worst 14 teams in the field of 68. I think the MVC's representative will generally be better than that.

I think you will see a lot of 12 and 13 seeds, but don't be surprised if a UNI or ISUr wins both the regular season and the tourney and gets as high as the 8/9 game once in a while. I think you will still see teams having peak seasons. The MVC's problem is going to be that those teams having peak seasons won't have anyone decent to play within the league.
              Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; June 30, 2017, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                I think you will see a lot of 12 and 13 seeds, but don't be surprised if a UNI or ISUr wins both the regular season and the tourney and gets as high as the 8/9 game once in a while.
                That would be a total lightning in a bottle occurrence. Last year, WSU went 17-1 in the league, rolled through the Valley Tournament, had a Top 10-15 national rank in metrics, had a Top 20 rank in the voter polls, and got a 10 seed. For a current Valley team to get an 8-9 seed, almost everything would have to go right for that team. Can it happen? Sure. However, as the power conference gain even more power, I have serious doubts that a Valley team can be a single-digit seed.
                78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                  That would be a total lightning in a bottle occurrence. Last year, WSU went 17-1 in the league, rolled through the Valley Tournament, had a Top 10-15 national rank in metrics, had a Top 20 rank in the voter polls, and got a 10 seed. For a current Valley team to get an 8-9 seed, almost everything would have to go right for that team. Can it happen? Sure. However, as the power conference gain even more power, I have serious doubts that a Valley team can be a single-digit seed.
                  2015 UNI got a 5 seed in what was one of the MVC's worst years 1 through 10. They didn't even face WSU in St. Louis that year, so only had 2 games with the Shockers and went 1-1. Would have still been single digits without WSU in the league.

Won't happen every year, but I think there will still be some single digit teams to come out of the Valley moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                    Yeah an eight or nine seed, for the NIT.
                    Why walk somebody in baseball when you can hit them?

Comment

I guess I'll have to vote for >14, since 18 is greater than 14.
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I know it's a message board, in the summer, and almost anything is ripe for discussion.

But these type of things make me queasy. I'm beside myself happy for WSU and all their fans for this new path. No need to beat them to death celebrating their remaining mediocrity.

Comment

I'm certainly not celebrating their remaining mediocrity. I'm celebrating us leaving BECAUSE of their remaining mediocrity. It's been painful to watch the Valley die, especially with us still in it.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            I know it's a message board, in the summer, and almost anything is ripe for discussion.

But these type of things make me queasy. I'm beside myself happy for WSU and all their fans for this new path. No need to beat them to death celebrating their remaining mediocrity.
                            Meh. I was all good with just moving on. When you have ADs from the league popping off with crap like this:

“Wichita State was an outlier in our conference because the Koch brothers supplied it with such an unlimited amount of resources. Wichita was operating in a different strata and that gave them an entrenched advantage. Everybody knew they’d win the conference every year and it made it more difficult to build solid programs. So losing them was a big plus for the rest of us.”

I start moving in a vindictive, screw you guys, direction. That's not wanting to raise your level. That's not wanting to be nationally relevant. That's wanting to be Shiniest Turd, King of the Mole-hill. That's why I wanted out to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                              Meh. I was all good with just moving on. When you have ADs from the league popping off with crap like this:

“Wichita State was an outlier in our conference because the Koch brothers supplied it with such an unlimited amount of resources. Wichita was operating in a different strata and that gave them an entrenched advantage. Everybody knew they’d win the conference every year and it made it more difficult to build solid programs. So losing them was a big plus for the rest of us.”

I start moving in a vindictive, screw you guys, direction. That's not wanting to raise your level. That's not wanting to be nationally relevant. That's wanting to be Shiniest Turd, King of the Mole-hill. That's why I wanted out to begin with.
                              The part about saying it was hard to win because we were in the Valley really got to me. What happened to competing and wanting to beat the best in the league? It's a cop-out. It would not surprise me if the Valley gives out participation trophies soon.
                              Why walk somebody in baseball when you can hit them?

Comment

Working...
                              X