The end of the one and done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of the one and done?

Do you guys think this would have a positive or negative impact on college basketball as a whole, or do you think it will only affect schools like Kentucky?

Me personally i feel as though there should be a 2 year minimum requirement for college courses in order to enter the league or just drop the requirement all together it just seems like 1 year is a waste.
    Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...mming-national

Do you guys think this would have a positive or negative impact on college basketball as a whole, or do you think it will only affect schools like Kentucky?

Me personally i feel as though there should be a 2 year minimum requirement for college courses in order to enter the league or just drop the requirement all together it just seems like 1 year is a waste.
    The one year is mostly stupid. A guaranteed first rounder should be able to go straight to the NBA. The one good thing it does is prevent the next Korleone Young. A baseball like system where kids get drafted out of high school, but only first round picks can sign would be ideal. All others do 2 years in college or overseas.

Edit: Just a thought, should 50% of their first two years' salary under $1,000,000 be in an unpledgeable annuity? A little nannyish, but I guarantee you Korleone wishes he had $40,000 a year coming in right now.
    Last edited by BOBB; June 3, 2017, 02:53 PM.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
      The one year is mostly stupid. A guaranteed first rounder should be able to go straight to the NBA. The one good thing it does is prevent the next Korleone Young. A baseball like system where kids get drafted out of high school, but only first round picks can sign would be ideal. All others do 2 years in college or overseas.

Edit: Just a thought, should 50% of their first two years' salary under $1,000,000 be in an unpledgeable annuity? A little nannyish, but I guarantee you Korleone wishes he had $40,000 a year coming in right now.
      I know that there have been changes regarding participation in NBA evaluation for the draft without signing with an agent, but I don't know the details enough to know whether those changes by themselves would be enough to make a Korleone Young situation far less likely. It does seem reasonable to think, however, that allowing high school seniors to test the draft waters without signing an agent be a system that gives enough realistic feedback to players about their draft prospects while still giving them the ability to go to school that the NBA could not be faulted if some players still made poor decisions about losing their NCAA eligibility.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Ive been living in Wichita my whole life and ive never even heard of Korleone Young, I had to look him up, very sad and unfortunate situation, his story reminds me a lot like what Joseph Randle is going through right now. I know in the nfl rookie players are required to take a mandatory financial and life skills course, i dont know if the same thing is mandatory for the nba.
        Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
          Ive been living in Wichita my whole life and ive never even heard of Korleone Young, I had to look him up, very sad and unfortunate situation, his story reminds me a lot like what Joseph Randle is going through right now. I know in the nfl rookie players are required to take a mandatory financial and life skills course, i dont know if the same thing is mandatory for the nba.
          Korleone Young would not have fit into college life anyway. I prefer that college basketball not be a farm system for the NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
            Korleone Young would not have fit into college life anyway. I prefer that college basketball not be a farm system for the NBA.
            This is true. He wasn't particularly scholarly.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Personally, I think players should be allowed to go pro whenever they choose. You get fewer "one-and-dones" and the emphasis on evaluation would help the high schoolers who are pondering declaring to make the best decision.

That said, I think the NBA has the right to say there is an age requirement for the league and it has helped the overall quality of the league, which has become infinitely higher than it was 15 years ago.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I think the NBA needs to move to a system like the MLB has. Eligible immediately and you don't lose amateur eligibility if you don't sign with an agent. The only change I would make is 2 years in college instead of 3 required by MLB. If college athletics are truly about the student athletes this is a faaaar better situation for them.

Comment

I think after 18 it's the kids choice... But at the end of the day the NBA can make their own rules

Comment

Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
                    I think the NBA needs to move to a system like the MLB has. Eligible immediately and you don't lose amateur eligibility if you don't sign with an agent. The only change I would make is 2 years in college instead of 3 required by MLB. If college athletics are truly about the student athletes this is a faaaar better situation for them.
                    I don't mind the rules mirroring MLB but then let's lower the scholarships to 4 or 5 full scholarships so that we don't have the Josh Jacksons of the world who don't attend class second semester. The D league should support the NBA. The NCAA shouldn't be supporting the NBA. Players should be able to go professional as soon as they want.

Comment

The NBA Development League is the NBA’s official minor league, preparing players, coaches, officials, trainers, and front-office staff for the NBA while acting as the league’s research and development laboratory. Featuring 22 teams — all with one-to-one affiliations with NBA franchises.

The league expands to 26 NBA franchises during the 2017/18 season.

Comment

The NBA product is at an all-time low. Something needs to be done.
                        Why walk somebody in baseball when you can hit them?

Comment

I'm all for either get drafted out of high school or play four years of college or over seas. Then we don't have to worry about losing a player via the NBA

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxcity View Post
                            The NBA product is at an all-time low. Something needs to be done.
                            False.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post
                              False.
                              Have you watched the playoffs. They have been awful.
                              Why walk somebody in baseball when you can hit them?

Comment

Working...
                              X