Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Name Shamet the #15 Player In D1

You won't like who's #1

It didn't work out quite so well last year, but that's not stopping us from once again putting Grayson Allen atop the list. Will any of the names below him -- some familiar faces, some new ones you'll learn in a hurry -- pass him by?
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

I don't like who's #2.

Comment

This AAC is FUN!!!! And it's not even July 1st yet!!!
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

I believe Landry would have earned that pre-season ranking regardless of the move to the American but I'm sure the move didn't hurt. Landry is a special talent for sure.

Comment

I think #2 on the all time Shocker "What If" list is how 2015-2016 ends if Landry never broke his foot.

We would have won at least 2 games in Orlando if not 3. The additional wins - and more importantly the avoided losses given the Valley schedule - would have resulted in a tournament seed of 2-6. No play-in game. No multiple flights, odd hours, 3 games in 5 or 6 days. Fully charged Ron and Fred and Landry ripping through the first weekend and resting up for a we-will-not-be-denied run.

Sigh.

Since it's the offseason maybe I should start a "What If" thread instead of derailing this one.

Back to topic - a special player from the moment we first saw him. My favorite little-noticed moment where I knew he was special:

During his injury, he was on the bench. I don't remember the specific game but I think it was a routine Valley game - by which I mean we were up by 20 on the road.

I'm watching on TV, and during a routine jumper they happen to be on an alternative camera shot of the bench. The jumper is apparently off-line.

I know it was off-line because 3G does "the lean" that I've seen him do a million times because it's who he is - living and dying with his team and trying to will the ball into the bucket.

The difference on this one is that there were 3 assistant coaches and 10 players on the bench standing straight upright and watching... and Landry did "the lean" at the exact same time in the exact same manner to the exact same degree that 3G did. It was synchronized. I didn't believe what I saw, so I rewound and confirmed it - synchronized.

3G is a grown man, gets paid very well, and lives and dies with his teams. "The Lean" is what I expect from someone of his caliber.

But ask yourself how many players - injured and frustrated and struggling with sitting out their freshman year, in the middle of rehab and fighting mental and physical battles - would do that. 19 years old. On the road, in Peoria or Normal or wherever, in the dead of winter.

You're going to come up with a very small number. And that's the reason why he's special.

In larger context, it's also why the program that Marshall has formed is special, but that's another topic.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go stalk Greg Popovich and explain why they need to draft this kid...

Comment

Shamet had an impressive showing on both sides of the court versus Kentucky. Fox and Monk scored 14 against us but Fox scored 39 points in his next outing. Along with Conner and Austin, we have 3 guards that could all hit 40-45% on 3-pointers. Jones is a better shooter than Smith IMO and that slot could be an improvement too. If we play N.D. in our early tourney, we will face Bonzie Colson whom they have ranked 3rd on this same list. We visit Oklahoma State to avenge the unexpected loss we received last Season at Intrust and I notice Jeffry Carroll is on this list at 25th and they will have another new coach.

Shamet, Shaq, and MM will be the tripod of our Shocker foundation. Two things heavy on my mind is just how improved will our team Defense be and could this be one of our best quality depth teams? With 7 Seniors, possibly both of these areas will bloom into pluses. I'm eager to get fan favorite Austin Reaves back on the court and healthy. I like his vigor and competitive spirit. Speaking of tripods, how about this one in terms of quality depth? What if CJ becomes a defensive stopper with an improved shooting touch that can play the 2 or 3 and give experienced starter Zach Brown a needed rest? Then what if A.M. is primed and ready by Conference time to help Shaq, Nurger, Willis, Kelly, and MM inside? Jones will be a quick little spark plug that can ignite some positive energy for us also. Then what we have is, #15 Shamet followed by a team that goes 11 more deep without skipping a beat.

In conclusion, how good will this Shocker team be? Will our stingy team defense inflame our persistent offense? Does our quality depth go 12 deep which is rare in this business? One thing I will conclude. This Shocker team will be really good, even better than last years team. Our squad knows this but also understands our stringent schedule will demand following closely to the Marshall Plan every step of the quest.
            Last edited by forevershockerfan; June 3, 2017, 01:28 PM.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Good News View Post
              Since it's the offseason maybe I should start a "What If" thread instead of derailing this one.
              I actually started one of those a year or two ago. Would definitely be fun to revisit.
              78-65

Comment

This list is a joke. It's high praise for Shamet but Joel Berry at 17? That's laughable.

This is just this writers opinion based on his own idea of what reach player could be fit this season. Yawn.

Comment

Working...
                X