No announcement yet.

Maybe been talked about before, but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe been talked about before, but....

...in watching Brad Stevens coach the Celtics, I'm struck by how few coaches can master both the pro and college game....so I have two "it's summer and boring"
    time of year questions...

1.which would be harder...going from pro to college, or college to pro, in terms of coaching players/managing the outside parts?

2. Not that I want him to, but would you think that Gregg could transition into pro coaching?

1. This is kind of a cop out answer, but I think it depends on the coach's qualities, rather than the difference between the levels themselves.

2. I think 3G would actually have a tough time right off the bat. And this is just my opinion, but if you look at all the NBA coaches they're all laid back compared to top college coaches. Think of some of the top NBA coaches, the only "fiery" one would maybe be 3G Popovich. Brad Stevens, Erik Spoelstra, Steve Kerr all seem like a players coach. I think there's no question 3G has the talent and drive to do the job, but I don't think it fits his personality.

Comment

1. I think it would be harder to go from pro to college. In the pros, the coach's job is to coach. They have front office guys to handle all of the other "stuff". Also, they have a pool of what, maybe 50-60 college kids to choose from when it's draft day, college coaches have thousands of high school kids to sift through unless they are at a blue blood an only look at top 50 kids. Also, college coaches coach so much more than just basketball, at least the good ones do. They are mentors that are teaching their players to not only be the best players they can be, but also the best people they can be.

2. I think 3G could be a good pro coach if he chose to do that and was in the right situation. I'm not sure that right situation exists though, because I think he relishes the opportunity to take young players and teach them how to be great on and off the floor. In most NBA situations, that road has already been chosen before the kids get to them.
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

I would think that being a pro coach would be the more difficult in that you coach but also have to baby sit the stars and not offend them so they will play hard. I mean look at the petty crap some of these multi million dollar players get away with when they have their feeling hurt. It would have to take a special guy to coach these prima donnas at that level and succeed.

Comment

I think GGG has a pocket full of sets that he could use at the next level. He could meet that criteria anyway.

Comment

In my opinion I think Coach Marshall would be a really good to great NBA coach. Simply because not only is he a terrific tactician...but a fantastic communicator. You communicate well (at any level)...you're gonna have success.

I could totally see a Gregg Marshall NBA team and roster resembling somewhere between a 1980's "Bad Boy" Detroit Piston team meshed with today's fluid Golden St. team and winning a couple few NBA Titles.

He wouldn't need no pre-madonna's.
            All he would need is "his" team.
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
            X