*** EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW SERIES...WDMT (What Does Mike Think) PART 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW SERIES...WDMT (What Does Mike Think) PART 7

Mike has enjoyed glancing at SN to see our reaction to his interview series. He caught DCShockerFan05 a few days ago curious about Mike's role as a broadcaster for WSU...

DCShockerFan05: "What does Mike consider the proper balance between his roles as:
    * A journalist whose duty is to deliver the facts and some analysis of them.
    * An entertainer who is part and parcel of the event he is covering and whose duty is to enhance the experience of his listeners.
    * A representative/advocate/promoter for WSU sports whose duty is to make WSU look good.
    * I am also curious if Mike thinks most sportscasters feel the same way he does, whatever that is."

Mike, thanks for doing this, btw.

Mike Kennedy: "First and foremost, I believe my role is to describe what is happening as accurately as I can and to add analysis as to why things happen the way they do. I can't always see everything, or you can also be looking at something in a certain way and miss a possible alternate explanation, which is why I have been blessed to work with people like Dave, and Bob, and Shane, who are great at recognizing things and adding their expertise to the analysis. Beyond providing those basics, I try to add things which I would find interesting as a fan: stats, streaks, trends, and stories and anecdotes. I try to use stats to illustrate a point very specifically - I hate hearing "he's been red-hot" without any additional support. Does that mean .400 in the last 10 games, .600 in the last five? I see myself as a reporter and a journalist from the standpoint of being accurate and fair, and I try to be honest in acknowledging good performance by opponents and not so good performances by the Shockers, but I also recognize that these are still college kids and not highly paid professional athletes. Also, I am representing Wichita State, and while I have never felt an obligation to make them look good or only be positive, I do think it's part of my job to try to give them the benefit of the doubt in being as positive as possible within reason. I believe almost the entire audience is made up of Wichita State fans, and I think it is appropriate for the broadcaster for any particular team to be a proponent of that team, and to get excited when they do well. I don't see myself as an entertainer, per se, but I feel the audience has a right to be entertained, within the framework of an athletic event, and hopefully we achieve that with some interplay between us, humor when it makes sense and actually is humorous, and with interesting information mentioned earlier, as long as it doesn't interrupt the flow of the game. I don't believe anyone tunes in just to listen to Mike Kennedy - they're tuning in to listen to the Shockers, and they want to know what's going on ahead of any of the other stuff. As far as whether most other broadcasters look at their role the same way, I can't really answer that. I hear guys sometimes who seem to think it's about them, or their sweeping analysis of some broad topic, and my thought is always, "hey, I turned this on to watch and learn about Duke and North Carolina, not about you."

Mike has been doing it this way for nearly 40 years. He has been a great mentor to many who aspire to be a sports broadcaster and teaches the very same things he practices. We are blessed to have someone who balances his craft with a journalistic delivery, being entertaining, advocating and promoting WSU.

I think he explained himself very well. That is exactly what I and everyone else loves about Mike. The interesting stats, the well described play-by-play, the excitement, *whispers* even calling out a bad call by a ref. And I think we all admire his patience with the callers and the equipment.

Thank you Mike for being a fantastic representation of Wichita State and for being an absolute joy to listen to.

Comment

Thanks, SHOXMVC! Thanks, Mike! That's exactly what I was hoping to understand--great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
        I don't believe anyone tunes in just to listen to Mike Kennedy - they're tuning in to listen to the Shockers, and they want to know what's going on ahead of any of the other stuff. As far as whether most other broadcasters look at their role the same way, I can't really answer that. I hear guys sometimes who seem to think it's about them, or their sweeping analysis of some broad topic, and my thought is always, "hey, I turned this on to watch and learn about Duke and North Carolina, not about you."

Well, he's wrong. I tune in to listen to MK, because he is exceptional! If I just wanted to tune in to the Shockers, I'd have been satisified with Bruce H. et al. No, he IS the reason I tune in and not just mute the tv. When he retires, which I hope will be a long time from now, he should be honored with a "retired microphone" banner in BOTH Koch and Eck! You're the best, Mike! (p.s. I think he may be referencing one Dick V in the latter statement...)

Comment

Fantastic answer.
          The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

The Cardinals have a spot for "Jack" in their retired numbers at Busch Stadium, and the Jack they're referring to was of course the late, great Jack Buck.

Mike Kennedy certainly deserves every honor WSU can offer when that time finally comes for him.

Comment

It is amazing how a good broadcaster can tell a story. I no longer live in Kansas, but when I listen to MK calling a game, it's like being home. It reminds of my grandfather taking me to games as a kid, as a worthless college student lounging on the hill during baseball games, and really just everything about home. Anymore, listening to MK is as much of the experience as the actual game. However, let's be straight though, MK is a homer, you can hear it in his voice after a bad call or a home run. He is Wichita State and that's why we love him.

Comment

I think he does a good job of straddling the homer line. After 30 seconds of listening to Bob Davis, I would always have that much more appreciation for Mike. He obviously roots for WSU but isn't annoying about it.
                78-65

Comment

Mike needs to write a book about Shocker history. Listening to him before almost every game he knows so much stuff it's crazy to think how he does it sometimes.

Comment

This will be a must for him when he retires

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                      Mike needs to write a book about Shocker history. Listening to him before almost every game he knows so much stuff it's crazy to think how he does it sometimes.
                      I believe he already has...

Comment

I have a copy; although it is old enough that it could be updated.

Comment

If he follows the Chick Hearn timetable (or Jack Buck's, although Jack's was unfortunately abbreviated by illness), he needs to update that history book BEFORE he retires.

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                            I was wrong; my bad. It was Kirk Seminoff, and it was Shocker Handbook. Mike needs to write one.

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                              I was wrong; my bad. It was Kirk Seminoff, and it was Shocker Handbook. Mike needs to write one.
                              That just gives him a bigger job than updating, so he definitely needs to start before he retires. Maybe he can collaborate with Seminoff. The Shocks have added a lot of history, mostly good, in recent years.

Comment

Working...
                              X