*** EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW SERIES...WDMT (What Does Mike Think) PART 4 ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW SERIES...WDMT (What Does Mike Think) PART 4 ***

I always enjoy my time with Mike. He is so insightful about what WSU athletics is all about. He is fair, but yet a touch sentimental about his Shockers. Mike and I had a nice conversation regarding two very significant events in Shocker athletics...

SHOXMVC: "You have had a front row seat for two historic Shocker athletic events (1989 College World Series Championship and 2013 Final Four). Describe what made those experiences similar and what made them different?"

Mike Kennedy: "When WSU won the College World Series in 1989, they had already been well established for several years as one of the top programs in the nation, and had been to the World Series twice, finishing second in 1982 and falling just short of the title game a year earlier, in 1988. Therefore, getting to that point wasn't anything unexpected, but that team did seem to be less likely to win it all than the previous teams because of the injuries they had sustained and because they had to come back through the losers' bracket in both the regional and the World Series, a much tougher path. By contrast, the 2013 basketball team had also had to overcome injuries, particularly the one to Ron Baker, had just lost to Creighton in the title game of the Valley Tournament, and had lost in the opening round of the NCAA a year earlier. I was hopeful, but had no real idea how far they might be able to go, compared to a sense of confidence that the '89 baseball team was capable of anything. The common characteristics with both were exceptional toughness, great coaching, great leadership on the field and court, and a selfless group who picked each other up and put winning before any personal thoughts. At the end of the win over Ohio State to get to the Final Four, I had a mixed sense of exhilaration and almost disbelief. I said to Bob and Dave while we were in a break, "can you believe this? We are going to the Final Four". - I think I said it multiple times. As Casey Scott and I began to wrap up the championship game win over Texas, it began to sink in everything that team had overcome, and I choked up for the only time in over 40 years of broadcasting."

Mike is and will always be a consummate professional, but everybody has their threshold. I always appreciate Mike's candidness and honesty when talking about WSU. I have always thought Mike was the perfect balance between a broadcast professional and a University advocate. I hope all of SN is enjoying this interview series as much as I am.

Anyone have a radio recording of the Texas win in 1989?
    78-65

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

😎👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼😎

Comment

"Say it slowly and savor it. Wichita State is going to the Final Four."

Love that call from 2013! I hope there are a few more big ones yet to come...
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
            "Say it slowly and savor it. Wichita State is going to the Final Four."
            Still gives me chills..
            Feels good man.

Comment

Sometimes it is adversity along the way that makes big wins so emotional and rewarding. Our Final 4 Season began with us only being picked to finish 4th in the Valley. No team I am aware of had near the injury issues we had that Season that Danced. Wessel's injury put him out for the Season. Baker was out for much too long. Cotton played with nagging injuries much of that Season. It seems like EO was out for a few games as were 2-3 other players. Even so, our beloved Shocks found a way to scratch and claw to our fair share of wins through it all.

By Dance time, only Wessel was still out with an injury and Baker had played maybe only 1 game or so prior to that after his injury earlier that Season. Cotton had a great defensive game versus Pitt. and made big shots in our Dance Trek. Having Baker back was a big boost. Hall played awesome against LaSalle inside. Armstead and FVV outplayed the Ohio State star guard IMO. To beat the Zags, the Shocks had to produce on a high % of possessions coming down the stretch including FVV 25' make before the shot buzzer that swished. Our Squad all played their hearts out and made the uphill climb to the Final 4 happen. The fans from the teams the Shocks defeated thought their team just had an off night. We knew our stingy team defense played a big part and our Coaches had us prepared to the max to succeed.

The main things I remember about our Baseball Championship was how strong our pitching was and our defense made several awesome big plays all along the way. Our first baseman, Bryant Winslow, was injured to the point I was not sure if he could answer the bell each game, especially towards the end. He not only played through these injuries, but also made big plays that few could make IMO. It was like destiny was knocking at the Shocks door, but they had to play awesome baseball to seize it.
              Last edited by forevershockerfan; May 18, 2017, 10:15 AM.
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                I taped it on an audio cassette, if you even know what that is, but I'm afraid it was lost in one of the many moves since then.

Comment

"That looked like trouble all the way!"

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    I taped it on an audio cassette, if you even know what that is, but I'm afraid it was lost in one of the many moves since then.
                    I know that my young age makes you feel like Methuselah, but I'm not that young. I grew up in the 80s and 90s when cassettes were still very much in use.
                    78-65

Comment

I know that my young age makes you feel like Methuselah, but I'm not that young. I grew up in the 80s and 90s when cassettes were still very much in use.
                      Just Job.

Comment

"Cassettes"?

These were the days my friend...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                          I have always thought Mike was the perfect balance between a broadcast professional and a University advocate.
                          Are you still asking questions of Mike? If so, I'd really like his perspective on this point. What does he consider the proper balance between his roles as:

A journalist whose duty is to deliver the facts and some analysis of them;
                          An entertainer who is part and parcel of the event he's covering and whose duty is to enhance the experience of his listeners;
                          A representative/advocate/promoter for WSU sports whose duty is to make WSU look good;
                          Anything else?

I'd also be curious if he thinks most sportscasters feel the same way he does, whatever that is.

Thanks for doing this, btw.

Comment

Mike Kennedy is so good at what he does. His call is integral to what the team(s) do, and have done. So many of our best moments have been (and will be) punctuated by Mike's great remarks. I remember those as much as the plays made by the teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Wuchalk View Post
                              I remember those as much as the plays made by the teams.
                              Absolutely! Mike K has been the constant in my great Shocker moments!

Comment

Working...
                              X