Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking of people not coming back next year...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of people not coming back next year...

Could Okon be on the list of people leaving? So far the Nigerian connection has produced Ejike Hart and Ehimen Orukpe.

EO's LOI is expired. He can sign with anyone this signing period.

I almost have to wonder if Okon is maybe crosswise with the Nigerian government and may be unable to get any players out of Nigeria. If Orukpe isn't here within a couple of months, maybe it's time for another DoBO.

Is Cheese Johnson looking for a job? Maybe he'd like to move to Wichita with his family next year - it worked for KU with Danny Manning's Dad.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

At least Cheese would be about 1000 times more qualified for that position than Danny's father was for an assistant coaches job.

Hi I drive a truck.

You're hired!

Don't they have the same thing going on now?

As someone far more intelligent than I once said, the cheating is paying big dividends right now.

Comment

More on Orupke

I was in AZ on vacation a week ago & went to a WSU alumni reception in Scottsdale on Thurs, 3/27. WSU Exec Dir, Deb Kennedy, gave a talk on the U and hubbie, Mike Kennedy, gave an update on Shocker athletics. I asked him about E Orupke and he said there is a new person over there helping hiim get to the states now. Mike didn't say who this person is, but he did hold out hope that this person will be able to do a better job of helping Orupe get here.

Comment

I hope the new guy works out. Ehimen would be a big boost to next years team.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
          At least Cheese would be about 1000 times more qualified for that position than Danny's father was for an assistant coaches job.

Hi I drive a truck.

You're hired!

Don't they have the same thing going on now?

As someone far more intelligent than I once said, the cheating is paying big dividends right now.

Actually Ronnie Chalmers won a few state titles in Alaska, has a masters degree and was in the Air Force. His basketball coaching dates back to 1985, including assistant and head coaching stints with Air Force squads as well as high school and summer league teams. DoBO seems like an expected jump for a high school coach, with those credentials, that wants to move into the collegiate ranks. But I'm sure everyone on here would tell him and Mario to go back to Alaska had WSU hired him as DoBO. Because its "Just not the right thing to do." :roll:
          "You can observe a lot just by watching."
          -- Yogi Berra

Comment

One of my fondest memories is the war story of when Larry Brown brought his Danny Manning led KU team here to Wichita back in the Eddie Fogler days. As I recall, it was the Season before KU's National Championship victory over Billy Tubbs and the Oklahoma Sooners.

The Shocks held Danny Manning to 12 measly points for the 54-49 victory back in the 1987 Season. See what happens!!!!!!! 8)
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

At least Ronnie isn't a booster without a college degree who got the AD job at Oregon.

Stream the latest otl videos on Watch ESPN. Emmy Award-winning show that examines off the field trends and issues in the world of sports.

Comment

hes not the AD though.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                  hes not the AD though.
                  Pat Kilkenny is.

That IS much worse. You can make a valid argument for Chalmers having the job. And even though Mr. Manning was driving a truck he did have coaching experience I believe. But to hire an AD who happens to be a big booster and friends with THE biggest booster and happens to lack a college degree is just......
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Im sorry I just clicked over there and saw the discussion about Phil Knight.

I apologize.

Comment

Ed Manning

By the way, Manning didn't have a college degree when KU hired him -- he may still not have one, for all I know.

That was what was so egregious about his situation, because KU had a policy requiring all faculty (including coaches) to have a degree, and yet somehow Larry Brown convinced the administration to ignore the policy. By contrast, I can still remember Rick Mount, the great Purdue scoring machine from years past, being denied a high school coaching job in Indiana because he hadn't yet completed his degree -- which, of course, just goes to show that Indiana high schools have stricter hiring standards than the Harvard of the Midwest does.

Comment

And if he was so good at his job, how long did he last after Danny went to the pros?

The DOBO position is mostly a farce and frankly, at most universities, it has more to do with managing the travel, team, school etc than it does about coaching. Of course if you can get a coattail recruit all the better and that's exactly what I expect most schools use the position for and I'd be shocked if the position wasn't created specifically for that one purpose by the "power" schools.

Comment

And if he was so good at his job, how long did he last after Danny went to the pros?

The DOBO position is mostly a farce and frankly, at most universities, it has more to do with managing the travel, team, school etc than it does about coaching. Of course if you can get a coattail recruit all the better and that's exactly what I expect most schools use the position for and I'd be shocked if the position wasn't created specifically for that one purpose by the "power" schools.

I have a feeling if HCGM could sign a player like Danny Manning or Mario Chalmers and all he had to do was hire their father to mess with travel arraignments, I'm sure he'd do it in a heartbeat. Especially since it isn't against NCAA rules.
                          "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                          -- Yogi Berra

Comment

I believe he went on to be a scout for a number of NBA teams. Not sure if he's still doing it or not.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Ed Manning biography:

He is retired

Comment

Working...
                              X