Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI Article: Aresco on Wichita State joining The American

A few of the highlights:

WSU started looking for a new conference 5 years ago.

WSU is a good fit because of their culture, and they fit the AAC profile. They were open with the MVC about their intentions.

After things settled down with Big 12 expansion, The American Presidents And ADs met last fall and that is when WSU emerged as a serious candidate.

The Big 12 will not be expanding any time soon so The American is stable, but they don't want to be blindsided.

Aresco believes that with the addition of Wichita State that The American is very close to being a Power 6 conference.

Last edited by Shocker-maniac; April 13, 2017, 10:12 PM.
    ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Great stuff. I love the ambition of The American!

It will be interesting to see if they;

1) wait and see if the BXII crumbles and poach a couple schools and go after the P5 head on
    or
    2) see this WSU/Navy experiment work out, and add Dayton/Air Force and VCU/Army and bolster the conference that way

Either way, exciting times ahead!
    Last edited by Shock Top; April 13, 2017, 11:17 PM.
    The Assman

Comment

If you look at what Gregg has done to WSU's profile and you look at many of the other American schools and their similar desire, vision and resources it just might be possible to elevate the American into P6 status over the next 4 years. It might not be probable but it is definitely possible.

Comment

I still can't believe WSU is a full member in a high level FBS conference. Sure we don't play football, but MANY other programs out there that play FCS and entry level FBS are jealous as **** right now because we did it on the strength of our basketball program. Almost brings tears of joy to think about where we are and the future possibilities. #playangry

Comment

Also while checking out Bowl payout to teams, I'm amazed how low it is. Even the Peach bowl which an AAC team isn't guaranteed to get in and is about the best case scenario for any G5 is $4 million. So if and when WSU wins just 2 games in the NCAA tourney, thats $4.8 million right there. Huge considering it's more money than Houston brought in 2015 after their big run. Now overall all the AAC teams in bowls will probably be more than mens bball unless the conference can get 4-5 teams in and several make solid runs. All in all Im going to start watching a little American Football.

Comment

I don't think your $4.8 MM by winning two games in the NCAA tournament is correct. How did you arrive at that number? It is closer to less than half your number. Football TV rights are the big money maker for college football. Unfortunately we will not share in that money.

Comment

Winning two games in the NCAA means you played in three. The lastest number that we have heard is that games are worth $1.6 million to the conference.
              78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                Winning two games in the NCAA means you played in three. The lastest number that we have heard is that games are worth $1.6 million to the conference.
                But the basketball payouts are over 6 years. So the 4.8M would be 800k per year. I think the bowl game payouts are a single payment.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                  But the basketball payouts are over 6 years. So the 4.8M would be 800k per year. I think the bowl game payouts are a single payment.
                  One game = 250K/yr for 6 years.

Last 6 years for WSU:

2012-1@250
                  2013-5@1250+250=1500
                  2014-2@500+1250+250=2000
                  2015-3@750+500+1250+250=2250
                  2016-3@750+750+500+1250+250=3000
                  2017-2@500+750+750+500+1250+250=3500
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                    1.6*3 games/6 = .8 * 6 years = 4.8
                    4.8 football * 1 year = 4.8

Same dollars, just paid out differently. At the current savings account rate of .003% the difference is HUGE!
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                      One game = 250K/yr for 6 years.

Last 6 years for WSU:

2012-1@250
                      2013-5@1250+250=1500
                      2014-2@500+1250+250=2000
                      2015-3@750+500+1250+250=2250
                      2016-3@750+750+500+1250+250=3000
                      2017-2@500+750+750+500+1250+250=3500
                      Arithmetic 101
                      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                        Arithmetic 101
                        Yeah, I thought it was going to be a good demonstration, but when I finished, I noticed that it was not. Since I did the work, I decided to post it.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                          Great stuff. I love the ambition of The American!

It will be interesting to see if they;

1) wait and see if the BXII crumbles and poach a couple schools and go after the P5 head on
                          or
                          2) see this WSU/Navy experiment work out, and add Dayton/Air Force and VCU/Army and bolster the conference that way

Either way, exciting times ahead!
                          WowWee!!! I love #2 statement. That would be totally awesome!!! I bet it will happen in the next 3 years!!!
                          SHOCKERS & AWE

"Go Ahead, Try To Jinx Us" ~ The Monsters Of The Midwest

"Wichita State fans bring the noise to another level. The roar
                          gets into your skull, giving you a mild case of vertigo."

Comment

Working...
                          X