Top Moments in School History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Moments in School History

Where does today's announcement rank as far as top moment in school history? For me my top 5 would be
    1. Today
    2. Hiring Jim Schaus: Without him there is no Mark turgeon or Gregg Marshall and maybe no Koch arena
    3. Going to the final four
    4. Keeping and paying Gregg Marshall
    5. Winning national title in baseball
    Thoughts? I could be showing my age here as some top moments get lost to history

I go back to the first F4. That is on my list
    One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Hiring Schaus, while a great hire, is only momentous with a little hindsight. The other things you list brought the euphoria as soon as they happened.
      One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Opening the Roundhouse in 1955-56.
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Me graduating.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Battle of New Orleans, 1981.

Comment

Not basketball, but the National Championship for baseball. And we were so close to winning more than one.

Comment

Winning the NIT has to be on there somewhere as well. Kind of kicked off the last few years of greatness.

Comment

My favorite: Beating KU in Omaha by 13.

Comment

Ohio St game eeks out the NC in baseball, but just barely.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

These two probably do not qualify because it involves one of our women's teams, Volleyball, and not one of our primary sports of Men's Basketball or Baseball. Although Volleyball may now have moved past baseball in the pecking order at Wichita State thanks to the magic of Chris and Shannon Lamb and the recent decline of the baseball program.

Becoming the 1st Shocker team in school history to finish a regular season undefeated finishing 29-0 in 2008 with a sweep of Missouri State in Springfield. I felt honored to be one of about 50 or so Shocker fans in attendance for that match.

Upsetting Arkansas 3-2 and KU 3-1 in Allen Fieldhouse in 2012 to qualify for the program's 1st and, so far, only Sweet 16 appearance. Doesn't get much better than beating the Jayhawks at Allen Fieldhouse.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 7, 2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

The Press Conference that is going to start in about 30 minutes.

Comment

The day we were accepted into the State system, due to the tireless persistence and dedication of Dr. Harry Corbin, and many others. What Dr. Bardo has accomplished would probably not have been possible without this first step.

Comment

Originally posted by Wuchalk View Post
                            The day we were accepted into the State system, due to the tireless persistence and dedication of Dr. Harry Corbin, and many others. What Dr. Bardo has accomplished would probably not have been possible without this first step.
                            That was in 1964. We have come a long, long way since the opening of Wichita Ladies College in 1886.

Comment

You know, after the years ... and years ... and years of being treated like a second-class citizen in your own state; after years of getting simultaneously envied and vilified by our own conference; after years of having national media pundits run us down every March; after years of the selection committee abusing us, almost grudgingly putting us in the field; this ... THIS is one of those days I want to remember. This is one of those rare days when you hear about what your value is, from people who previously had no reason to kiss our butts.

Comment

Working...
                              X