MVC Nostalgia Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVC Nostalgia Thread.

Now we know the time it should become official lets relive some of the love/hate we have for our old conference.

I will miss being part of the root for the little guys. I don't think of the AAC teams in the same light as the little guys. I won't be the same knowing that we really aren't a part of that now.

I will miss our history of our old conference. This is the only home for the Shocks in my lifetime.

I won't miss the guy from Arch madness on the screen. Tell me something nice about St Louis and I will say something nice about your town.

I liked how the MVC always made sure the Wichita State fans could get back home in plenty of time for work Monday morning.

But seriously, the hotel in Union Station was a hidden gem. It was way cheaper than the Westin, only two blocks from the arena, and the free food was fantastic. I'm a little sad that I won't have that reason to go back.

Comment

I'll miss the Valley of the early 2000s culminating in 2006 when there were lots of good fights and the conference race could be pretty exciting.

I enjoyed the domination of the last few years, but I won't miss it and I look forward to being more regularly challenged in the conference schedule.
      Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

When I was on campus Cincinatti, Tulsa, Louisville and Memphis were part of the Valley. This feels like a logical homecoming to me. I might miss Bradley and even Drake to some degree but the rest of the Valley never seemed to me like they really belonged. It always felt like the Valley just plucked whoever they could get without much consideration for anything other than their willingness to join. I will not miss what the Valley turned into.
        One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

The highway billboards in St. Louis welcoming MVC teams and their fans during Arch Madness.
          One year stayed at a hotel near Scottrade Center, happened to ride elevator with Doug Elgin, exchanged pleasantries and he was very appreciative of the Shocker fans making the trip.

Comment

I'll miss St. Louis (I know call me crazy). I wanted to take my children there and never got the chance, but it will be fun to go to Orlando instead!
            Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

My favorite recollections of the mVC are playing teams like Tulsa, Cincinnati, and Memphis.

...Oh, wait...
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I will miss the double-round robin basketball schedule. Granted, the teams on the slate the last two years weren't where they should have been, but love the concept of getting to see everyone at home and at their place every year.

Comment

I became a fan of the Shockers in 2003 when my parents took me to a game at the Coliseum. So I don't really know the great history of the Valley with past teams. I only really know the current teams + Creighton. I never made it to Valley road games, but I don't necessarily regret that. I did go to Arch Madness 8 times though and I will miss that despite all the despair all that city brought. 2006 was the highlight of the Valley for me and it just never was the same after Creighton left. I'm incredibly excited to start some new traditions and memories in the AAC.

Comment

I'm still a relatively young whipper snapper (<40), so the Valley of the 2000s is what I remember most. SIU--and their ridiculous defense--was THE team to beat. I remember Billy Packer complaining when we got four teams to the dance in 2006. Then us and Bradley promptly stomped our way to the S16. Cheers of "MVC, MVC" would fill arenas. Our friends from George Mason graced ShockerNet with their presence (I'm not being facetious, those were/are great dudes). That was the pinnacle of the Valley in my lifetime.

Although when UNI and us were both top 15 a couple of years ago, and College Game Day came to Koch--THAT was freakin' cool. I think there's another College Game Day in our near future...
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Watching KU have to play MVC teams in the NCAA tournament.
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Will miss:

Casey's General Store (THE TASTE AND SO MUCH MORE) and Bob Rohrman Rural Illinois Used Car Auto Complex commercials, which comprised approximately 72 percent of Arch Madness television advertising.

Won't miss:

St. Louis tourism commercials insisting that St. Louis was as good or better than all of Europe's capitals and that I should visit, which comprised approximately 28 percent of Arch Madness television advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                          Watching KU have to play MVC teams in the NCAA tournament.
                          And losing to them!

Comment

Favorite game:

Attending the comeback @ SWOMO during the undefeated season. One of the biggest comebacks I can remember since I've been a fan and it was important in setting ourselves a place in history. That was fun.

Worst game:

Comment

The Throw will probably go down as my all-time fav moment against an MVC foe.

Matt Brauer's Valentine's Day dagger probably ranks as second most enjoyable in a long list of runner-ups. Something about spending almost two decades trying so hard to climb out of the abyss, and the moment you finally knew you'd clawed your way out...hard to describe.

Comment

Working...
                              X