2017-18 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post
    "This isn't knocking Bill Self," Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their program for him to call two of his remaining three timeouts before the first media timeout of the second half of an NCAA tournament game, he would. But it's not. But he did it anyway."

"This isn't knocking Bill Self, "Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their program to recruit McDonalds All-Americans with absolutely no regard for character or the ability to learn, he would. But it's not. But he does it anyway."

"This isn't knocking Bill Self, "Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their program for him to staple a remnant from Jabara's Carpet Outlet to his scalp, he would. But it's not. But he did it anyway."

"This isn't knocking Bill Self," Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their program for him to have an affair with a cheerleader, he would. But it's not. But he did it anyway."

"This isn't knocking the University of Kansas," Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their medical school to steal Wichita State's, they would. But it's not. But they did it anyway."

"Wait," Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "I suppose those are, in fact, knocks on Bill Self and KU. At least I can admit that mistake."

So, how has everybody else's summer been?! :D
    Perhaps this would be a good time to sit back, relax and watch the last time that the two teams played:

Or if you don't have an hour and a half to kill, perhaps you could watch the highlights of the last time the two teams played:

Comment

• “Fran Dunphy | I’m hopeful AAC is a four or five bid league” – FanRag Sports Network

By Jon Rothstein
      Posted on Sep 18, 2017

"Wichita State’s addition to the American Conference has created a massive buzz throughout college basketball and the league’s coaches are taking notice. The addition of the Shockers — currently ranked ninth in the FanRag Sports Preseason Top 25 — means more teams from the American should have a legitimate chance to play in the NCAA Tournament on an annual basis.

“I’m hopeful that the American Conference is a four or five bid league,” Temple head coach Fran Dunphy said Monday on the College Hoops Today Podcast. “They’re (Wichita State) a great program and a great addition. They’ve had great success. My hope is that we’re now going to have four or five teams in the NCAA Tournament every year and then keep building from there.”

Only two teams from this conference — Cincinnati and SMU — reached the field of 68 last season.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
        "The matchups we need to see right now in college basketball" - ESPN Sports

Myron Medcalf, ESPN Staff Writer
        posted: 09/18/17

Sure, there are rivalry games that happen every year because of conference alignment. But there are others -- pitting brothers or old rivals who've gone their separate ways or two fan bases that cannot stand each other -- that we should see right now.

"The most disappointing element of college basketball's past decade has been the elimination of significant rivalry games.

Indiana and Kentucky never returned after Christian Watford's buzzer-beater at Assembly Hall in 2011. Yes, they met in subsequent NCAA tournaments, but we lost a great in-season series. Missouri and Kansas is done. Sad.

Georgetown and Syracuse have reignited their rivalry. Perhaps Patrick Ewing will rebuild Georgetown and restore the rivalry's value.

But lengthier conference schedules, competitive nonconference tournaments and more pressure to win all diminish the likelihood we'll see any new, meaningful rivalries emerge.

That won't stop us, however, from dreaming.

Here are some of the rivalries we'd love to see in college basketball:

1. Wichita State Shockers-Kansas Jayhawks

Yes, the state of Kansas deserves this. But college basketball does, too. Wichita State is now a premier program with six consecutive NCAA tournament berths, a Sweet 16 nod in 2015 and a Final Four appearance in 2013.

Gregg Marshall makes more than $3 million per year, elite cash in college basketball. And he'll take his team's talents to the American Athletic Conference in 2017-18, where a bigger spotlight could elevate the Wichita State program to the next level.

In 2015, the Shockers beat perennial power Kansas in the NCAA tournament. Both squads will enter this season ranked in the top 10.

Seems like a perfect climate to announce a rivalry.

But ...

"This isn't knocking Wichita State," Kansas coach Bill Self told The Kansas City Star four years ago. "But if it was best for our program, I would reach out to them about scheduling them. But it's not."

The truth is Kansas and Wichita State can stand alone. They don't need each other. Wichita State's fan base swarms arenas around the country throughout the season. They love their Shockers and that won't change.

And Kansas is, well, Kansas, one of the best programs of all time. You can't find three coaches in college basketball who can say their job is better than Self's.

But this is a request. Please, make this happen.

Wichita State-Kansas would give college basketball a boost every season. Fine, play at a neutral site. Do it on a playground. We don't care. Just want to see it happen...."

Others:
        2. Louisville Cardinals-Minnesota Golden Gophers
        3. Harvard Crimson-Northwestern Wildcats
        4, Indiana Hoosiers-Arizona Wildcats
        5. Maryland Terrapins-Duke Blue Devils
        6. Gonzaga Bulldogs-North Carolina Tar Heels
        So where is the Creighton vs Drake matchup?
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• LMFAO!!! What does it mean that is isn't right for your program?

Yeah, it wouldn't be right for your program to take this loss.
          Why walk somebody in baseball when you can hit them?

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post
            "This isn't knocking Bill Self," Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their program for him to call two of his remaining three timeouts before the first media timeout of the second half of an NCAA tournament game, he would. But it's not. But he did it anyway."

"This isn't knocking Bill Self, "Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their program to recruit McDonalds All-Americans with absolutely no regard for character or the ability to learn, he would. But it's not. But he does it anyway."

"This isn't knocking Bill Self, "Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their program for him to staple a remnant from Jabara's Carpet Outlet to his scalp, he would. But it's not. But he did it anyway."

"This isn't knocking Bill Self," Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their program for him to have an affair with a cheerleader, he would. But it's not. But he did it anyway."

"This isn't knocking the University of Kansas," Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their medical school to steal Wichita State's, they would. But it's not. But they did it anyway."

"Wait," Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "I suppose those are, in fact, knocks on Bill Self and KU. At least I can admit that mistake."

So, how has everybody else's summer been?! :D

Substantive!

Comment

• This was brought up in the Lomax thread in the recruiting forum but really deserves to be on the main forum as well. Check out the 51 minute mark on hour 1 of the 9/18 show (link below).

Well worth a listen. Thanks to Anthroshock for first mentioning it.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                Perhaps this would be a good time to sit back, relax and watch the last time that the two teams played:

Or if you don't have an hour and a half to kill, perhaps you could watch the highlights of the last time the two teams played:

https://youtu.be/-Ra4qkEXiho
                36:12. So glad Robert's brother could call the game. He sounded favorable to the Shocks heart and desire on display throughout.
                Last edited by ShockingButTrue; September 19, 2017, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• Top five league games from the "Major 7" conferences.

Shocks @ UConn
                  Shocks @ Cincy
                  UCF @ Shocks

Comment

• Might want to watch Myron Medcalf's twitter today

Looking forward to watching Wichita State practice today here in Wichita. Top-10 team with a high ceiling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                      Might want to watch Myron Medcalf's twitter today

i thought practice started next month.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                        i thought practice started next month.
                        They've been slowly relaxing the practice rules for years. I quit trying to keep track. But I'm pretty sure there are periods where the coaches can spend 'X' number of hours with individuals, small groups, or full team.

Comment

• Top five conference games in each major college basketball league this season
                          We look at the 'Major 7' leagues and give you the best of what's to come in conference play in 2017-18
                          by Matt Norlander @MattNorlander Sep 19, 2017

American
                          UCF at SMU

Wichita State at UConn Dec. 30
                          The Shockers enter their first season as rent-paying conference members by traveling up to Storrs to face a talented but still very much developing UConn club. At this point, will Wichita State still be considered a top-10 team? Because that's how the Shockers will enter the season. And as for UConn, will it avoid the injuries that torpedoed its season last year? This is potentially the most consequential game on the AAC calendar because a road win could further validate Wichita State -- but UConn might wind up desperately needing this kind of W on its resumé.

UCF at Wichita State Jan. 25
                          AAC members are going to discover that the Round House in Wichita will have claim to being the toughest road environment in the conference (yes, even competing with Gampel Pavilion on its best nights). A veteran Shockers team, that brings back all its starters from last season, will attempt to do what it's managed a couple of times under Gregg Marshall: go undefeated at home in league play.

Cincinnati at UConn Feb. 3

Wichita State at Cincinnati Feb. 18
                          For the regular-season championship? Hey, it could be. By this point on the calendar, Wichita State is certainly going to be feeling the effects, and differences of playing in the Missouri Valley vs. playing in the American. A win here for the Shockers would likely be worth a seed line come Selection Sunday.

Comment

• We're in 3 of the top 5 conference games in a major league? Somebody pinch me.

While this is indeed incredible, I'm surprised that Cincinnati @ Wichita State didn't make the list. That is the season finale and has the potential to be for all the marbles in Koch Arena. Just like in 2015 when ranked UNI came to town and we were both tied at 16-1 in the conference. That game was electric. Could possibly happen again this year. Hold on to your asses, folks.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                              We're in 3 of the top 5 conference games in a major league? Somebody pinch me.

While this is indeed incredible, I'm surprised that Cincinnati @ Wichita State didn't make the list. That is the season finale and has the potential to be for all the marbles in Koch Arena. Just like in 2015 when ranked UNI came to town and we were both tied at 16-1 in the conference. That game was electric. Could possibly happen again this year. Hold on to your asses, folks.
                              From the article, no matchup was listed twice and they already had the Shocks at Cincy listed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerEngr View Post
                                From the article, no matchup was listed twice and they already had the Shocks at Cincy listed.
                                Makes sense. If I were them, I would just switch @ Cinci out with @wichita:. But still a pretty awesome list

Comment

Working...
                                X