2017-18 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
    So, we won't get Mitch and Mark anymore? That sucks. Mark is over the top, but he loves the Valley and WSU. Mitch has probably the greatest voice in broadcasting, except for the game this last season that he had laryngitis.
    I hope ESPN keeps sending Mark and Mitch to CKA. They are trying to save money so let them call our home games on occasion.

Comment

I'd be happy if we could start getting some regular ESPN talent. Adams is fine and I appreciate that he's a fan. I'd be happy if he still called some games. But it's just not good that he calls all of our games. His constant hyperbole makes things seem small time.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
        He might be over the top. But can't help but like the guy...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...84928401782048
        He's an extreme guy but he was always adamant in his support and affection for WSU. I will miss him and Mitch for sure. That's pretty nostalgic stuff right there. Mitch is really the first person I associated MVC tv games with in the late 90's and early 2000's. And then Adams followed later.

I do hope they can squeeze out a game or two at Koch from time to time.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

From Larry Brown Sports: "10 biggest takeaways from the college basketball season"

No. 2. Wichita State wants to upgrade its status

No sport features the insanity that college basketball is able to muster each and every year. Not only does college hoops feature 351 teams playing every

Comment

I loved Adams's enthusiasm when we were not getting too much national respect. As our brand exploded, the hyperbole got more annoying because he would tend to use it for the opponents too even when they were clearly much weaker.

But I always like how he roots for the non power 5 and appreciate the love he showed the Shox.
            Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Saw some really great players over the years.

Dave "The Rave" Stallworth my all-time favorite.

Larry Bird, Wes Unseld, Hersey Hawkins, Xavier McDaniel, Warren Armstrong, Butch Beard, Ron Bonham, Junior Bridgeman, Rodney Buford, Antoine Carr, Muarice Cheeks, Larry Finch, Mike Glenn, Steve Harris, Lynbert "Cheese" Johnson, Cliff Levingston, Lewis Lloyd, Willie McCarter, Paul Pressey among the best the Valley had to offer.

Saw Oscar Robertson as a pro but not in college.

Comment

"Way-too-early Mid-Major Madness 2017-18 Power Rankings" - SB*Nation

by Russell Steinberg, Chris Schutte, Greg_Mitchell, Torrance Jones, and Andrew Evans
                Apr 10, 2017, 6:32am PDT

"There is no argument more fun nor exercise more useless than trying to rank the 25 best mid-majors more than six months before the 2017-18 season starts.

So let’s go ahead and do that.

One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more...."

Comment

"The Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club"

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                    That's music to my ears. Let's see if media members still use the term with us. I'm not optimistic. But then again, every time we play a conference game it will be against a school with an FBS football program. Maybe the associations will help in those regards.

Comment

"Rothstein Files: SEC’s depth should be vastly improved next season" - FanRag Sports

By Jon Rothstein
                      Posted on Apr 10, 2017

1. Gregg Marshall’s toughest season as a head coach will come in 2017-’18

The 54-year old head coach has had incredible success at both Winthrop and Wichita State, winning an average of 72.5 percent of his games to go with 13 trips to the NCAA Tournament in 19 seasons, but he’ll never be tested like he’s going to be tested next season.

The Shockers’ decision to join the American Athletic Conference means that Marshall, who has gone 68-4 in regular season games during league play over the last four years will now have to trade blows with more capable opponents than he ever has before.

Wichita State will have a much better chance of earning a quality seed in the NCAA Tournament moving forward, but getting to that point is going to be one arduous task.

Nine of the other 11 head coaches in the American have coached in the field of 68 at one point or another during their careers, and while Mike Dunleavy Sr. hasn’t, he was the head coach of four different NBA teams before taking his current post at Tulane.

The Shockers’ decision to join this league was a monumental move on all fronts, but it won’t come without difficulty, as everyone involved — including Marshall — is stepping up a weight class.

Wichita State is currently ranked 10th in the FanRag Sports Preseason Top 25 for the 2017-18 season."

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                        Several years ago......

Comment

It's just such a dumb label. So we're now NOT mid-major, but Gonzaga and the top teams in the MWC and A10 are? Okay... whatever you say media.

Not that I'm not thrilled we're probably done with seeing that label being associated with WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                            One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more...."
                            Oh thank God. Finally.

However, still considering Gonzaga to be a mid-major is beyond ignorant. They NEED to stop associating mid-major with conference affiliation. To do so is easy, but it's stupid.
                            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

^^^^ I read that and quickly pasted it into my sig before anybody else took it.

Haven't yet read the rest of the article.
                              One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

"Opinion | Wichita State could make the AAC a power six conference" - News Record (University of Cincinnati)

Ethan Rudd, Staff Reporter
                                Monday, April 10, 2017 8:20am

"Remember all that talk about the University of Cincinnati joining the Big 12? Remember how it all amounted to nothing?

In case you missed it, UC made a bid to join the Big 12 six months ago, hoping to enter a power five conference. Ultimately, UC and a slew of other schools in the American Athletic Conference were denied entry into the Big 12.

Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis weren’t outright rejected by the Big 12. Instead, the conference decided that it was in its own best interest not to expand.

The non-move provided a lesson for UC and Bearcat fans: Moving to another athletic conference is by no means guaranteed, even for the most attractive candidates.

For now, it appears that UC will stay put in the AAC, whether they like it or not.

...It’s no wonder then that the AAC voted unanimously to add Wichita State.

The move is a win-win for both sides. Wichita State gets to play in a conference that is more competitive than the Missouri Valley Conference, which reps teams like Loyola and Bradley, and the AAC gets to add a great basketball program.

Perhaps the move could start a domino effect of sorts by attracting other teams like Gonzaga or Dayton.

Building the AAC into a more competitive conference may be the most realistic way for UC to play in a power conference.

Why not? Who needs a power five when you can create a power six?"

Comment

Working...
                                X