2017-18 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
    Looks like GGG going to have to put out a coach of the year type effort, WSU doesn't seem to have the talent compared to other schools per article:

SMU - 5 players
    Cincy - 5 players
    Temple - 3 players
    Memphis - 3 players
    Houston - 2 players
    UCF - 2 players
    UConn - 2 players
    WSU - 2 players
    Apparently, we are already having the same problem we always had in the MVC. You get picked to win the conference, but always seem to have the fewest number of all-conference type players. I'm just glad ANYONE got mentioned.

Maybe the idea was that these are basically all newcomers, freshman and breakout players... but WSU is already letting it hang, top to bottom, so there is nothing new to be discussed. Guys like Shaq, Rauno, Willis, McDuffie, Brown, Frankamp and Kelly have already broken out so to speak. None of them really belong on a newcomer or breakout player list.

I'm sure if Rothstein had gone to the trouble to try to put out the 2nd team and the Honorable Mention team, we'd see some more names. There is only one guy on our whole roster that technically even could "break out" this season and that is C.J. Keyser. Fair enough.
    Last edited by Dave Stalwart; July 5, 2017, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Looks like GGG going to have to put out a coach of the year type effort, WSU doesn't seem to have the talent compared to other schools per article:

SMU - 5 players
      Cincy - 5 players
      Temple - 3 players
      Memphis - 3 players
      Houston - 2 players
      UCF - 2 players
      UConn - 2 players
      WSU - 2 players
      This is misleading - the list he makes isn't a list of the best players (Although he does have a first team). Also - Landry is picked as POY.

No need to manufacture a chip to put on your shoulder, plenty of real slights to complain about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
        Per Mid Major Madness, Kansas is now one of three states (joining Alaska and Minnesota) that doesn't have a mid-major basketball program.
        https://www.midmajormadness.com/2017...stern-kentucky
        But we have a "below mid-major" football program.
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Per Mid Major Madness, Kansas is now one of three states (joining Alaska and Minnesota) that doesn't have a mid-major basketball program.
          Nice, thanks for sharing WUzee!

Kansas - No mid- majors. Come back Wichita State, we miss you dearly.
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Obviously someone has arbitrarily decided what a Mid-Major basketball program is or what a Mid-Major basketball conference is.

However, I have to say there are more than a few schools on that list that don't seem mid-majorish to me including Gonzaga, BYU, UNLV, New Mexico, Wyoming, Dayton, San Diego State, Colorado State and perhaps Boise State.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Obviously someone has arbitrarily decided what a Mid-Major basketball program is or what a Mid-Major basketball conference is.

However, I have to say there are more than a few schools on that list that don't seem mid-majorish to me including Gonzaga, BYU, UNLV, New Mexico, Wyoming, Dayton, San Diego State, Colorado State and perhaps Boise State.
              It's all about conference affiliation. If we were still in MVC, we'd be on that list. Tells you how important the move to AAC was in perception alone.

Comment

• Originally posted by wuhog View Post
                It's all about conference affiliation. If we were still in MVC, we'd be on that list. Tells you how important the move to AAC was in perception alone.
                I see that. Although it still is quite arbitrary. How do think the teams I mentioned would do against say the bottom half of the AAC? Or the bottom half of any P-5 conference?

Comment

• This is why I always hated the mid-major argument. WSU isn't considered to be a mid-major anymore...but what changed about WSU to make that happen? Conference affiliation. That's it. Literally nothing else changed. We still paid 3G big money before July 1, 2017. We still packed the Roundhouse on a regular basis last basketball season. We still sent gobs of fans to early-season tournaments and postseason tournaments over the last decade. But because WSU played in a weak conference, the Shockers were a notch below the "major schools."

To me, that's like petty middle school crap. "Oh, we think you are cool now because you have popular friends." Eff off!
                  78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                    Apparently, we are already having the same problem we always had in the MVC. You get picked to win the conference, but always seem to have the fewest number of all-conference type players. I'm just glad ANYONE got mentioned.

Maybe the idea was that these are basically all newcomers, freshman and breakout players... but WSU is already letting it hang, top to bottom, so there is nothing new to be discussed. Guys like Shaq, Rauno, Willis, McDuffie, Brown, Frankamp and Kelly have already broken out so to speak. None of them really belong on a newcomer or breakout player list.

I'm sure if Rothstein had gone to the trouble to try to put out the 2nd team and the Honorable Mention team, we'd see some more names. There is only one guy on our whole roster that technically even could "break out" this season and that is C.J. Keyser. Fair enough.
                    I think McDuffie is the real breakout player for WSU. He has been solid to good, but not consistently great. I think he can be great.

Comment

I think McDuffie is the real breakout player for WSU. He has been solid to good, but not consistently great. I think he can be great.
                      I'm with you on that. If McDuffie works on his handles and gets to where he adds a drive to the basket to the rest of his game,he becomes a matchup nightmare. He's going to need that skill to play in the league. I'm confident he heard that when he was going through his NBA evaluation last summer.

After the season was over I mentioned that I thought he had a Sophomore Slump season. That really upset some people who insisted he had a great season. I never said he didn't have a great season. I think his great season was a Sophomore Slump season Somehow the concept that a great season could have been a slump for an individual player was too complicated for some to grasp.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                        I'm with you on that. If McDuffie works on his handles and gets to where he adds a drive to the basket to the rest of his game,he becomes a matchup nightmare. He's going to need that skill to play in the league. I'm confident he heard that when he was going through his NBA evaluation last summer.

After the season was over I mentioned that I thought he had a Sophomore Slump season. That really upset some people who insisted he had a great season. I never said he didn't have a great season. I think his great season was a Sophomore Slump season Somehow the concept that a great season could have been a slump for an individual player was too complicated for some to grasp.
                        I agree with where you're coming from, in that although he had a very good season, he didn't reach his full potential, but when literally EVERY statistical category improved, it's not a slump. A slump means that you were doing well, but now aren't. That's not how his season went.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• 2018 Top 25 Recruiting Needs: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...r-top-25-teams

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                            Its nice to be able to see fellow conference teams listed in these now. A very nice change.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I don't get to do this very often with your posts, but I'll make some changes: don't seem mid-majorish to me include Gonzaga, VCU, BYU, UNLV (need to get their act together), Dayton, San Diego State, perhaps New Mexico, maybe Colorado St, not Wyoming or Boise St (discounting football).

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                                I don't get to do this very often with your posts, but I'll make some changes: don't seem mid-majorish to me include Gonzaga, VCU, BYU, UNLV (need to get their act together), Dayton, San Diego State, perhaps New Mexico, maybe Colorado St, not Wyoming or Boise St (discounting football).
                                I don't really have an issue with your changes. I knew I had a few questionable progams on my list. But my point was there are some pretty darn good programs on that "Mid-Major" list that are better than many programs in the "Major" conferences. The term "Mid-Major" seems to me to be one of the more amorphous terms that is tossed around. But as @WuShock16 pointed out why does the conference you are in determine level of your program. Perhaps the quality of your program shoud determine that.

The list was presented at the best mid-major programs in each state. Perhaps more accurately it was the best progams in each state who play in a mid-mjaor conference. Gonzage and previously Wichita State and BYU would fall into that category but I certainly don't thing those are mid-major programs.

Comment

Working...
                                X