2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

The team played like **** today (which happens) but you are the absolute worst. This type of post demonstrates what happens to people who think WSU should go 31-0 every year and play 40 minutes of perfect basketball every game.

Which points do I disagree with? LMAO All of them. Well, maybe not #4 but that's as obvious as pie.

1. We lost by 13 at home to Indiana State and by 12 to Creighton in 2013. We lost by 16 at UNI in 2015. We lost by 10 at Tulsa, 23 to Iowa in 2016, and we lost by 14 at Illinois State in 2017. Guess what all of those seasons have in common?

2. A fair number of pollsters are going to drop us from 7th to unranked? LOL, are you insane? I suppose you feel the same about #8 Texas Tech, who got pasted by 18 at Iowa State today? This was certifiably insane and if you truly believe that we are going to fall to the high 20's or unranked, then put your ****** money where your ****** mouth is and bet me.

3. This may be the dumbest thing you've ever typed out and that says A LOT. I'm not even gonna argue this one with you to save yourself any embarrassment.

5. Trashed our credibility? By losing to a Top 50 team on the road? LMFAO. Do you want me to list the names of all the ranked teams that have lost Top 50 games on the road? Or even worse, how about a list of ranked teams that have lost worse than Top 50 games on the road (something which WSU does not have on their resume)?

I'm gonna bump this post in 3 weeks when you suddenly go missing and bump it every day for pure amusement and hopefully the embarrassment that will come before you will shake the screws loose in your head enough to set any sort of coherent thought processes back in alignment.

My god, you are the WORST.
    My god you are the smallest man/child I've ever seen. You honestly think people care about your keyboard wars. You are giddy with the thought of continuing to think about a post 3 weeks later. You are more investing in trolling than the watching basketball.

Let me put it to you straight (and by you, I mean the rational posters reading this): this team hasn't proven it can beat a top 50 team in 19 games. 6 times in the last 10 games we've been behind at half, including to #270 Arkansas State. We've been forced to come back against such mighty powerhouses as California (#221), FGCU (#129), and Tulsa (#131). We've snapped every positive conception of our team:

"Wichita State is great at home" - Demolished by OU, SMU
    "Wichita State is great on the road" - Trashed by Houston
    "Wichita State plays great defense" - #55 in the country and continuing to drop
    "Landry Shamet is an all-American" - lost every "star" matchup so far; Colson/Young/Milton/Gray etc. etc. etc.

Now look at our schedule. Right now this is a 10 loss team. The team that played this week (and to be honest, 70% of this season) loses both games to Cincinnati by double digits, loses @ Temple, loses @ SMU, drops one of @Memphis, vs Temple, vs Tulsa and loses in the 2nd round of the AAC tournament to Houston/SMU.

That's 22-10, no top 25 wins, no top 50 wins unless Marquette or Houston makes it, 7-9 vs the top 100. That is the team I've seen all year, and it is a team that looks more like an NIT team than an 8 seed in the tournament. Don't believe, just look at last year:
    Team RPI SOS T25 T50 T100 Seed
    Wisconsin 32 83 3-4 5-7 14-9 8
    Northwestern 49 64 1-5 5-8 9-11 8
    Miami 42 41 3-8 4-10 8-11 8
    Arkansas 25 58 0-5 4-7 12-7 8
    Wichita State (2018) 31 39 0-3 0-5 7-9 TBA
    Illinois State 33 158 0-0 1-2 2-4 NIT
    Syracuse 84 63 3-4 5-8 8-9 NIT
    California 53 72 0-7 2-8 6-11 NIT
    Iowa 55 57 3-7 5-8 8-11 NIT

That is who I believe we are. We've struggled vs teams outside the top 50, and lost to those inside it. It took our best effort to beat the worst two teams in the Big 12. It took our best 3PT shooting of the year to beat Houston at home. Bad teams like Arkansas State can clown us for 20 minutes.

That isn't a top 25 team. That isn't an NCAA team. That is 2017-2018 Wichita State unless they improve significantly.

Comment

Wow. The mindset is stunning.

Let's just go back to the Valley while we're at it.
      Not scared of success. Not scared of the AAC (which isn't the ACC, B1G, B12, or BE btw).

A lot of times sports at this level are about having an edge. We haven't shown it this season. Not once! Go back and watch our last 3 games of 2017 and tell me if you've ever seen that defense & focus this year? Guess what....we've been favored by Vegas in every game we played this year and lost 4 of 19. That's losing more than 20% of the games experts say you should win. That sucks. That's not about playing great teams. That's about underachieving.

And who gives a f*** about what other ranked teams have or haven't done? That's their problem. We have our own.

It's much easier to be a "hyena" when you feel disrespected. Gregg is great, maybe the best, at that. Until proven otherwise I will say he's a better coach when coaching a team that feels like they aren't getting the respect they deserve. Hence Miami in Providence, RI 2016.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

My god you are the smallest man/child I've ever seen. You honestly think people care about your keyboard wars. You are giddy with the thought of continuing to think about a post 3 weeks later. You are more investing in trolling than the watching basketball.

Let me put it to you straight (and by you, I mean the rational posters reading this): this team hasn't proven it can beat a top 50 team in 19 games. 6 times in the last 10 games we've been behind at half, including to #270 Arkansas State. We've been forced to come back against such mighty powerhouses as California (#221), FGCU (#129), and Tulsa (#131). We've snapped every positive conception of our team:

"Landry Shamet is an all-American" - lost every "star" matchup so far; Colson/Young/Milton/Gray etc. etc. etc.

Now look at our schedule. Right now this is a 10 loss team. The team that played this week (and to be honest, 70% of this season) loses both games to Cincinnati by double digits, loses @ Temple, loses @ SMU, drops one of @Memphis, vs Temple, vs Tulsa and loses in the 2nd round of the AAC tournament to Houston/SMU.

That's 22-10, no top 25 wins, no top 50 wins unless Marquette or Houston makes it, 7-9 vs the top 100. That is the team I've seen all year, and it is a team that looks more like an NIT team than an 8 seed in the tournament. Don't believe, just look at last year:

That is who I believe we are. We've struggled vs teams outside the top 50, and lost to those inside it. It took our best effort to beat the worst two teams in the Big 12. It took our best 3PT shooting of the year to beat Houston at home. Bad teams like Arkansas State can clown us for 20 minutes.

That isn't a top 25 team. That isn't an NCAA team. That is 2017-2018 Wichita State unless they improve significantly.
        Fever getting exposed!

Comment

• CBB I agree with a lot of what you said except I don’t think we’ll continue down this slide. I think (hope) that 3G has finally had an awakening and is ready to shake things up. Next game will really tell us if we are ready to compete or fold up our tents. If we roll out next game with the same starters and same rotation and same schemes, then I’ll be concerned.

Comment

• Originally posted by El_Wu View Post
            So CBS SPORTS has us at 15 as of today. Well let’s see what they give us on Sunday. But either way. They always rank us lower. So yeah between 10-15 for sure and the will put us at 15-25
            CBS sports poll dropped WSU 5 slots to 20. So I would expect that WSU will be somewhere in the 18-22 range.

Comment

If we lose the games you indicate, yes, that's where we'll be, on the bubble. My problem is that your assumptions include a worse loss than we've had up to this time.

Our worse home loss is to SMU, a team currently projected at 42 RPI. We've already beaten Tulsa there, why assume we lose here? Temple is projected at 64. That 22 spots below SMU and they may very well have played their best game of the season against us to win by 5.

Losing at Memphis, projected at 107 RPI, while our worst away loss is to Houston at 53 and ND at 51 on a neutral court by 1 point.

Now if I want to be a pessimist, I could see your point. If I was an optimist, I'd say we'd not lose that game and win one of those other losses. I picked in between those two and go 23-9 with an RPI of 25.

The team will do what it will do, but I'm not going to assume they'll do worse than they have so far.

Comment

Wow, your logic is a tad flawed and your analysis is a bit "challenged".

Who said anything about hanging banners for rankings? I guess you did. That's it. If rankings don't matter that much to you, then who cares if they're ranked or not?

WSU isn't a fly-by-night mid-major that shouldn't have to operate as an "underdog" anymore. We aren't VCU or George Mason or Middle Tennessee State. You'd rather WSU be unranked than ranked. What a scared little man you are. So from now on, we should root for WSU to just be good enough to be on the radar, but hopefully loses a game or two to avoid getting ranked. And then hope for that 10 or 11 seed in the NCAA's so they can THEN finally put things into a gear and let 'er rip. What an idiotic outlook.

And who said I think they're a Top 10 team? Of course they aren't playing like it. Other ranked teams have played like **** too. The expectations for WSU perfection here are always through the roof with some people.

They'll be ranked where they'll be ranked. I'll continue to enjoy the little number next to our name and the recognition it receives and deserves for as long as I can. I ain't freaking scared of it. Pretty sure Gregg isn't either.
                Hahaha well, I guess I am going to have to walk you through this very slowly.

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Who said anything about hanging banners for rankings? I guess you did. That's it. If rankings don't matter that much to you, then who cares if they're ranked or not?

My initial statement was that I wouldn't mind seeing WSU drop out of the rankings, because they need to realize they are not entitled to anything. To which you replied, "Stop acting scared of success and recognition", so by replying with that statement you directly correlated being ranked as being successful. My statement, "Last I checked teams don’t hang banners for where they were ranked in January" was my attempt to make the point that being ranked in January is not a form of success, which is what you implied with your response. Clearly this went over your head. This was actually likely my fault for assuming you had the mental capacity to deduce this. I will try to be more literal with my responses to your posts going forward.

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                WSU isn't a fly-by-night mid-major that shouldn't have to operate as an "underdog" anymore. We aren't VCU or George Mason or Middle Tennessee State. You'd rather WSU be unranked than ranked. What a scared little man you are. So from now on, we should root for WSU to just be good enough to be on the radar, but hopefully loses a game or two to avoid getting ranked. And then hope for that 10 or 11 seed in the NCAA's so they can THEN finally put things into a gear and let 'er rip. What an idiotic outlook.
                I am in 100% agreement that WSU is not an underdog mid-major right now. This is part of the reason that I feel their play for most of this season has not been up to par. They are a far more superior team than they have shown. I never once have said or alluded that I want WSU to lose another game. My original statement of not minding if WSU fell out of the rankings has nothing to do with being scared of being ranked or this program being successful, which was an incredibly asinine thing for you to say, but a response to the level of play WSU has demonstrated this season. I am not sure if you noticed, but WSU lost twice this week to unranked teams. Their best wins are against a middle of the road Big East team and a couple Big 12 teams currently in the bottom half of their league. They have looked average against inferior teams the entire season. My point is WSU has not played well all season and I wouldn't mind seeing them lose the little number next to their name if it would help this team get back to where we all know they can be.

We all know you will respond to this post with a personal attack followed by a couple degrading absurd statements, which is both fascinating and sad that your brain responds to opposition that way, but at the end of the day we both are entitled to our own opinions. I'd suggest that you learn to not let my opinions bother you as much.

Comment

Obviously you are a glass half empty guy! Have you watched any other cbb this year? Just curious. Have you heard Tom Izzos recent comments about how this season is shaping up? Your comments may bear out to be correct but lets see what happens.

Comment

• Never post on here, but can't believe the lack of support for the team. There are so many ready to write them off. True fans hang tough thru the success, and the difficult times, RANKED OR UNRANKED.Success of a team is not only the players, coaching staff, but the whole fan base. Negatively does not reflect well on SHOCKER NATION . Stand up and proudly represent. PROUD TO BE A SHOCKER FAN....RANKINGS DON'T MATTER!!
                    Last edited by SWheatemotion; January 21, 2018, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post

Fever getting exposed!
                        How am I getting exposed? Are you too suggesting that WSU is an ... NIT team?

If so, I'll add you to the list.

Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

CBS sports poll dropped WSU 5 slots to 20. So I would expect that WSU will be somewhere in the 18-22 range.
                          Well golly gee, if Gary Parrish dropped us to 20 then I think the whole gosh darn poll of voters will too.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• ShockerFever the guy is a fraud and I’ve been saying it the last two years. You seem to be the only one smart enough to figure it out. The only thing that has kept me from blasting him is that I have been busy in Houston the last three days watching a team that I actually support. Keep barking at him!

Comment

• Originally posted by bleednblackngold View Post

Obviously you are a glass half empty guy! Have you watched any other cbb this year? Just curious. Have you heard Tom Izzos recent comments about how this season is shaping up? Your comments may bear out to be correct but lets see what happens.
                              Yes, I've watched plenty of good teams play this season. That is the biggest reason for my pessimism. My eye test says we aren't at that level. We've had exactly 6 games this season where we looked like a top 10 team: vs UMKC, vs Marquette, vs Savannah State, vs Houston, vs USF, and vs ECU. To put it bluntly, every other game we've looked terrible. Consistently worse than other Shocker teams this decade.

When I look at high level teams I do see weaknesses, but not so many or so debilitating. For instance, WVU's played better in their recent slide than we have. There were moments vs KU where they looked like 2012 UK with Kanate blocking shots and their defense significantly bothering KU guards, but they left the corner three open for Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk while letting Javon Carter shoot them out of the game. They still lost, but they have a lot of positives to take away from the performance.

Whereas I don't have a single positive from the past week. We were outclassed from both sides of the ball except for about 3 minutes to start the SMU game. We shot poorly from the paint, 3PT line, and FT line while turning the ball over at a high rate and failing to achieve anything on the other side of the ball.

Comment

• I thought we played pretty good against Baylor

Comment

Working...
                                X