No announcement yet.

2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All I'm asking for is consistency. If you want to vote based on to-date resume, do that the whole time. If you want to vote based on how good you 'think' teams are regardless of resume, do that for everyone.

WSU is Top 5 in both categories, but will have whatever logic one is using selectively not applied.

Wait, hear us out. The easy move, after Duke's loss, was to jump Villanova or Michigan State to the top spot. But if you look at the entire body of work, raising Arizona State all the way to No. 1 isn't so crazy.

#4 Duke: "Duke should probably drop further after a bad loss to Boston College"
    #5 WSU: ....but WSU was 5, so we couldn't drop Duke any more.

Comment

• Jon Wilner has Duke 2, WSU 4 and ASU 5.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
        Jon Wilner has Duke 2, WSU 4 and ASU 5.
        He has BC 3 doesn't he.

Comment

• I can’t wait for the Gary Parrish Poll attack this week. Got a feeling there will be some ridiculous ballots submitted.

Comment

• According to AP Poll twitter, they plan to release the poll at 12:30, they do not designate a time zone so I guess 11:30 central?

Comment

• Cdizzle
              Cdizzle commented
              Editing a comment
              Assuming east coast bias usually makes you right. nothing like a news organization that doesn't understand there are multiple time zones in this country...

• The official page for the AP Top 25 men's college basketball poll. Keep up to date and view the latest NCAA men's basketball ranking updates each week for the 2023-24 season.

Comment

• The official page for the AP Top 25 men's college basketball poll. Keep up to date and view the latest NCAA men's basketball ranking updates each week for the 2023-24 season.

I see we have a 3rd spot ahead of those Blue Devils!

Comment

• "College basketball rankings: Arizona State beats Kansas, jumps in the Top 25 (and 1)" - CBS Sports

The Sun Devils make a big jump and the Jayhawks slide after ASU pulls the big upset

by Gary Parrish
                Posted: 12/11/17, 11:00am cst

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...a-state-beats-kansas-jumps-in-the-top-25-and-1/

"A handful of teams are off to surprisingly good starts -- among them Florida State, Texas Tech and Tennessee. But nobody has come basically out of nowhere to be nationally relevant quite like Arizona State. PODCAST
                The Sun Devils are a great story.

They went 15-17 two seasons ago, 15-18 last season and were picked to finish sixth in the Pac-12 in the league's preseason media poll. Regardless, they're 9-0 with four top-50 KenPom victories. They beat Xavier 102-86 last month, which opened some eyes. But Sunday's 95-85 win at Kansaswas even more surprising and impressive. And now it's very reasonable, based on the resume, for anybody to rank Arizona State No. 1 in the entire country.

Am I doing it?

No.

But it's not because I don't think ASU deserves it. It's just that I don't like dropping No. 1 teams without a loss. And I already have Villanova No. 1. And Villanova's resume featuring victories over Gonzaga and Tennessee isn't devoid of quality, which is why I'm keeping the Wildcats No. 1 in the CBS Sports Top 25 (and one).

But Arizona State is No. 2.

As you can see, the Sun Devils' jump from No. 13 to No. 2 pushed Michigan State, North Carolina, Wichita State, Kentucky, Miami, Texas A&M, West Virginia, Virginia and Duke down one spot each, no fault of their own. Arizona State's next game is Sunday against Vanderbilt. Looking further ahead, barring an upset, Bobby Hurley's team should be 12-0 heading into the Pac-12 opener at Arizona on Dec. 30. Arizona is 20th in the Top 25 (and one).

The complete Top 25 (and one) is below.

1. Villanova
                2. Arizona State
                3. Michigan State
                4. North Carolina
                5. Wichita State
                6. Kentucky
                7. Miami (Fla.)
                8. Texas A&M
                9. West Virginia
                10. Virginia

Others:
                19 Notre Dame
                21. Baylor

Comment

• ShockerEngr
                  ShockerEngr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The link gets borked when you change the font size...

• Wsu in at 3!

The official page for the AP Top 25 men's college basketball poll. Keep up to date and view the latest NCAA men's basketball ranking updates each week for the 2023-24 season.

Comment

• Wow!

Comment

• Pleasantly surprised, again.

Duke only plays Evansville (20th) between now and the 30th. If we win and they pass us I swear I will lose it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                      Pleasantly surprised, again.

Duke only plays Evansville (20th) between now and the 30th. If we win and they pass us I swear I will lose it.
                      Saturday is huge for us

Comment

• Michigan State with nothing but cupcakes to close out the year. Villanova at temple and at Butler could be interesting games.

Comment

• Oklahoma in at #27. It's a shame they won't get a number next to their name.

Comment

• Cdizzle
                            Cdizzle commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Was really hoping they would sneak into that 25 spot, but thought it was a long shot.

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                          Michigan State with nothing but cupcakes to close out the year. Villanova at temple and at Butler could be interesting games.
                          I'd be OK with Temple doing us a solid.

Also, there's absolutely no reason Cincy should be ranked right now.

Comment

• Jamar Howard 4 President
                            Jamar Howard 4 President commented
                            Editing a comment
                            One more comment. As a WSU fan, I'm especially sensitive to people dismissing manhandling of a decent Wyoming team on a neutral floor as meaningless. Same with 30+ point wins against any D1 team. I've watched too many good Shocker teams pound the MVC into submission and get zero credit to now want to turn and do that to others.

Computers allow us to learn from all games, not just top 50 vs top 50 like the talking heads like to.

• Cdizzle
                            Cdizzle commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Meh. That same computer says Cincy has played the 308th toughest schedule. And the comparison to WSU is grasping a bit. This is a schedule Cincy CHOSE, not one provided by their league. They also have a program and geography that makes that choice a conscious decision.

As I said, there are bigger travesties. And they definitely still have meat on the schedule bone. But I don't think it's crazy to say they haven't done anything to earn being ranked until they win against one of those teams.

• Jamar Howard 4 President
                            Jamar Howard 4 President commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Cdizzle, I fully agree it is *reasonable* to leave Cincy unranked. I was attempting to argue with your original comment that "there's absolutely *no reason* Cincy should be ranked right now".

I'm ok with ranked or not. Both are very defensible positions.
                        Working...
                        X