2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
    I still don't get Kansas. They are a Devontae Graham absence away from being a borderline Top 25 team. They have literally no other point guard.

EDIT: okay, maybe a bit of a stretch, and you could say that about us with Landry, but KU has very little depth. Will start season with 9 scholarship guys eligible to play, adding one at end of fall semester.
    I think both of these comments are accurate. Both KU and WSU have depth issues and could justify their high preseason rankings by staying healthy and developing their returning role players over the offseason, or disappoint and be quality tournament teams but have fringe rankings. For the first time though, the Shockers are being recognized nationally and will have some of the same exposure and high expectations. November can't get here soon enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by ICT2CLT View Post
      I think both of these comments are accurate. Both KU and WSU have depth issues and could justify their high preseason rankings by staying healthy and developing their returning role players over the offseason, or disappoint and be quality tournament teams but have fringe rankings. For the first time though, the Shockers are being recognized nationally and will have some of the same exposure and high expectations. November can't get here soon enough.
      We have depth issues? I would say the opposite. Samajae Haynes-Jones, Austin Reeves, and Conner can all play point if for some reason Landry goes down. Sure they aren't as good as Landry, but they're all still pretty solid players. We have plenty of guards, plenty of forwards, and a few swing man. I'd say we're fully loaded.

Comment

• This is the first time the Shockers are being recognized nationally?

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
          KU is a borderline top 25 team with Devonte Graham imo.
          14 years under Bill Self and KU has never finished worse than 18th in KenPom (and that was his first year). His worst finish since was 13th.

What makes you think this will be the worst KU team Self has ever coached?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
            I still don't get Kansas. They are a Devontae Graham absence away from being a borderline Top 25 team. They have literally no other point guard.

EDIT: okay, maybe a bit of a stretch, and you could say that about us with Landry, but KU has very little depth. Will start season with 9 scholarship guys eligible to play, adding one at end of fall semester.
            Originally posted by AndShock View Post
            KU is a borderline top 25 team with Devonte Graham imo.
            Landry with a broken foot is a better PG than Graham.

...Conner Frankamp is a better PG than Graham.

I stand ready to go find the "Potential Irony of Conner Frankamp and Perry Ellis" thread. WSU surpassing KU in the polls and in the dance during CF's senior year will put a cherry on top of the whole thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
              Hope.

I will root for it to be the worst KU team Self has ever coached every year until it finally happens :) And I will throw logic and facts to the wind to support my feelings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                Conner Frankamp is a better PG than Graham.

Comment

Comment

14 years under Bill Self and KU has never finished worse than 18th in KenPom (and that was his first year). His worst finish since was 13th.

Their second best returning player is Svi.

Comment

I noticed that you did not argue against broken-foot Shamet being better though :)

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                        Their second best returning player is Svi.
                        If the hype coming out of Lawrence for Svi prior to his arrival on campus had been halfway justified, Svi would carry KU's football team to a national championship.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                          If the hype coming out of Lawrence for Svi prior to his arrival on campus had been halfway justified, Svi would carry KU's football team to a national championship.
                          That's funny, because the first time I had even HEARD of him was his massive travel to win the game against K-State last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                            That's funny, because the first time I had even HEARD of him was his massive travel to win the game against K-State last year.
                            If I remember correctly, they were CONVINCED he was one and done talent. But his age meant that he was going to have to stay at KU for two years, so lots of them were just sold on the idea that this guy was basically going to be one of the best players in college basketball but would be forced to stay two years at KU.

Anyway, turns out... he's a four year guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                              If I remember correctly, they were CONVINCED he was one and done talent. But his age meant that he was going to have to stay at KU for two years, so lots of them were just sold on the idea that this guy was basically going to be one of the best players in college basketball but would be forced to stay two years at KU.

Anyway, turns out... he's a four year guy.
                              Meanwhile we probably directly got frankamp out of the deal. And our team is better.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                                This is the first time the Shockers are being recognized nationally?
                                I mean at the beginning of the year.. top 5 rankings. Clearly the Shockers have been recognized AFTER completing great seasons/tournaments.

Comment

Working...
                                X