2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shoxcity View Post
    It is going to be an interesting year because let's face it, this squad's players were recruited to play in the Valley. I'm not saying we are playing to represent the Valley, but it will say a lot how good the WSU program is in the initial year of a better league holding their own.

Can only imagine how much recruiting will rise now.
    Are you channeling your inner Creighton fan?

Comment

• I hope that there isn't some sort of lag or residual line of thinking from the selection committee next March when seeding and matching up Wichita's 1st and second round games. In other words...should we have the type of season most are anticipating and wind up with a 1,2 or 3 seed...my hope is the selection committee doesn't have an Arizona, Kentucky type match-up in store for us until later in the tourney. Tired of these blantently early elimination games just cause we were from the Missouri Valley.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• This is actually a discussion that has occurred on a few Cincinnati boards since the announcement of WSU to the AAC. I'd say a good number of UC fans are fairly surprised with the preseason hype associated with WSU. Multiple top 5 rankings, some even as high as 2, etc. Maybe it's more associated with the implicit gap between WSU and UC. I think that's more where I stand, as well. You'll see WSU at 2 in a poll, while UC will be 16-20 and I think that disparity is completely off base. By the end of last year, it was pretty clear that SMU was the best team in conference, but I don't think the hierarchy at the top will be as clear cut this coming season.

Comment

• No doubt it will be a fun battle at the top of the standings - we are looking forward to it and welcome the challenge. Time will tell what degree of separation, if any, is appropriate.

Cincy is playing home games at NKU's arena during the renovation this year, is that right? How far away is that from Fifth Third?

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
            No doubt it will be a fun battle at the top of the standings - we are looking forward to it and welcome the challenge. Time will tell what degree of separation, if any, is appropriate.

Cincy is playing home games at NKU's arena during the renovation this year, is that right? How far away is that from Fifth Third?
            Yes, UC will be playing at NKU. Probably 15-20 minutes from UC's campus. I'm sure it will reduce UC's home court advantage, which has been so strong at 5th/3rd, but could serve as better preparation for the NCAAT.

Comment

• I hope to eventually get a chance to visit some of the road venues we will visit in the AAC. I have a feeling they will make some of the MVC venues look like morgues. I also hope a fair number of opposition fans get to come experience the atmosphere at Koch. I think many of them will be shocked by the level of support and energy the Shocks get from our fans.
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                I hope to eventually get a chance to visit some of the road venues we will visit in the AAC. I have a feeling they will make some of the MVC venues look like morgues. I also hope a fair number of opposition fans get to come experience the atmosphere at Koch. I think many of them will be shocked by the level of support and energy the Shocks get from our fans.
                MVC venues don't need any help looking like morgues... Esp when the shockers aren't there.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerEngr View Post
                  MVC venues don't need any help looking like morgues... Esp when the shockers aren't there.
                  That got me curious, so I looked up basketball attendance. From the NCAA's published figures (from 2016), out of the top 100 basketball programs by attendance, here are the AAC and MVC members:

30. Memphis 12,028
                  37. WSU 10,805
                  40. UConn 10,413
                  47. Cincy 9,415
                  74. SMU 6,907
                  91. Bradley 5,953
                  98. UNI 5,378
                  100. SIU 5,277

The NCAA only listed the top 100 at the site I found.

For average attendance for all programs in a conference, this is a little surprising (top 6 are P5 plus big east):

7. MWC 7,162
                  8. AAC 6,250
                  9. MVC 5,051
                  10. A-10 4,852

Dayton averages 12,941, so there must be some great venues for taking a nap in the A-10. The AAC has a couple of places that will rival the crowds at Loyola (Chicago).

AAC teams have familiarity with big crowds, but I doubt they've played many games in the atmosphere they will see in Koch.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    That got me curious, so I looked up basketball attendance. From the NCAA's published figures (from 2016), out of the top 100 basketball programs by attendance, here are the AAC and MVC members:

30. Memphis 12,028
                    37. WSU 10,805
                    40. UConn 10,413
                    47. Cincy 9,415
                    74. SMU 6,907
                    91. Bradley 5,953
                    98. UNI 5,378
                    100. SIU 5,277

For average attendance for all programs in a conference, this is a little surprising (top 6 are P5 plus big east):

7. MWC 7,162
                    8. AAC 6,250
                    9. MVC 5,051
                    10. A-10 4,852

The AAC has a couple of places that will rival the crowds at Loyola (Chicago).
                    Tulane Men's basketball draws significantly less attendance than our womens team for sure less than our Volleyball team.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                      I hope to eventually get a chance to visit some of the road venues we will visit in the AAC. I have a feeling they will make some of the MVC venues look like morgues. I also hope a fair number of opposition fans get to come experience the atmosphere at Koch. I think many of them will be shocked by the level of support and energy the Shocks get from our fans.
                      and the fans have given that support for 50+ years. why some people act like wichita state/koch arena is some johnny-come-lately i don't know.

Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                        and the fans have given that support for 50+ years. why some people act like wichita state/koch arena is some johnny-come-lately i don't know.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...St&FORM=IRIBQP
                        They act like we're the New Kid in Town. Will everybody love us when we're not around?
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                          Tulane Men's basketball draws significantly less attendance than our womens team for sure less than our Volleyball team.
                          Less than the Shocks' VB team I can see. Less than Shocks' women's BB team probably not especially over the past couple of years. And when you say draws I am interpreting that to be butts in the seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            Less than the Shocks' VB team I can see. Less than Shocks' women's BB team probably not especially over the past couple of years. And when you say draws I am interpreting that to be butts in the seats.
                            I think they were around 1100 or maybe 1300. What is our women's basketball? I think Tulanes number was published attendance so I doubt if that is butts in seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                              I think they were around 1100 or maybe 1300. What is our women's basketball? I think Tulanes number was published attendance so I doubt if that is butts in seats.
                              Butts in the seats (excluding the Schoolhouse Screamfest game) was sub-500 over the past two years from what I could see on ESPN3. Perhaps someone who attended the games could weigh in on that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

30. Memphis 12,028
                                37. WSU 10,805
                                40. UConn 10,413
                                47. Cincy 9,415
                                74. SMU 6,907
                                91. Bradley 5,953
                                98. UNI 5,378
                                100. SIU 5,277

7. MWC 7,162
                                8. AAC 6,250
                                9. MVC 5,051
                                10. A-10 4,852

Dayton averages 12,941, so there must be some great venues for taking a nap in the A-10. The AAC has a couple of places that will rival the crowds at Loyola (Chicago).

AAC teams have familiarity with big crowds, but I doubt they've played many games in the atmosphere they will see in Koch.
                                This part made me LOL at work.

Also, shout out to Bradley for being God awful for most of this decade and still drawing a decent crowd. The Valley really needs them to be good again.

Comment

Working...
                                X