How WSU could get into the Big 12 one day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How WSU could get into the Big 12 one day

Hey all: I found this piece on a Big 12 website I follow about how Wichita State could work its way into the Big 12 in 7-8 years... think it was worth the read! Good stuff and I know it's a ways off but would love to see it happen!!

No, I'm not starting any rumors of Wichita State to the Big 12. The Big 12 is not expanding. But, with the latest reports this week that the noise surrounding Wichita State to the AAC is heating up, I've been asked by a couple people why the Big 12 isn't a landing spot. Last week Sports Illustrate

Originally posted by MBF88 View Post
    Hey all: I found this piece on a Big 12 website I follow about how Wichita State could work its way into the Big 12 in 7-8 years... think it was worth the read! Good stuff and I know it's a ways off but would love to see it happen!!

http://www.heartlandcollegesports.co...12-aac-rumors/
    Won't the Big 12 be dead by then?

Comment

Not sure if trolling...In 10 years there will be less rather than more FBS football programs. I suppose WSU could be in a Big 12 featuring the programs left behind by the new P4 16 team superconferences. Though, that wouldn't be much more compelling than the current AAC that at least features schools in metro markets.
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by MBF88 View Post

http://www.heartlandcollegesports.co...12-aac-rumors/
        My meter says 11, on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is "aww shucks" and 10 is "LOL WTF".

Comment

Thanks for sharing, I guess. But any article about WSU joining the Big 12 that doesn't touch on whether KU, KSU and UT (and probably others) would ever vote for it isn't worth the time.

Comment

This article is missing such necessary features as reasonableness, intelligence, insight, and plausibility.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Not even "In the Year 2525"

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                Not even "In the Year 2525"
                If Big 12 is still alive.

Zager and Evans were pretty prophetic although their time frame was way too long.

Comment

It ABSOLUTELY could happen.

After Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Texas Christian, Texas Tech, West Virginia, and Baylor have left the conference.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                    Not sure if trolling...In 10 years there will be less rather than more FBS football programs. I suppose WSU could be in a Big 12 featuring the programs left behind by the new P4 16 team superconferences. Though, that wouldn't be much more compelling than the current AAC that at least features schools in metro markets.
                    Yeah, the Big 12 seems to be the most likely power conference to be disbanded in the future. I dont see us ever being added, and I can't see the conference being around in 10 years. However, I can see the leftover schools, such as: Iowa St, Kansas St, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, maybe Ok St having to join forces with the best of the AAC. We would want to be on the rigt side of that. I'm not sure we would have the football to though...

Comment

The only situation where Wichita State plays in the Big 12 involves a total collapse of that conference after it is picked apart by the SEC, PAC12 and B1G and desperately takes in MWC and AAC members to survive.

At best guess that involves Texas + Texas Tech + KU + Oklahoma + Oklahoma State + West Virginia all leaving the conference. The remaining Big 4 of Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State, and TCU would then have to make a choice between going to the AAC/MWC or poaching from the AAC/MWC, and the latter is more likely.

So say they pick up BYU, Cincinnati, UConn, UNLV, Houston, SMU. That gives 10 members and they'd probably be fine with that. The only situation where Wichita State comes into play requires them to NOT be fine with that, and for Wichita State to make vast investments into football so that by 2025 they are at least a mid-level FBS squad, and to somehow beat out the Florida schools, SDSU, etc. and make it into the next 2-4 teams.

I just don't see that happening.

Comment

Two chances...None and slim and slim just left town.

Comment

Working...
                        X