Player Improvements for Next Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player Improvements for Next Season

Let's discuss what we'd like to see to take our team to the next level. Here are my thoughts:

Landry - More effectiveness driving the lane. Fred was so good at this. I'd like to see Landry pick up some of Fred's tendencies such as change of pace/direction. Also needs to add about 15 pounds of muscle.
    Markis - explosiveness to the rim. Better handles in traffic. Also gain 15 pounds of muscle.
    Conner - we need to figure out how to get him open. He is clearly a nightmare for opposing coaches and is covered like a wet blanket. Still, there has to be some things he can work on to get himself open. He would be Marty Simmon's dream come true.
    Shaq - keep on conditioning. The better shape he's in, the better we are as a team.
    Rashard - mid range shooting. He's going to get looks simply because you can't double team everybody. I want to see a mid range game develop, similar to Carl Hall's senior year.
    Zach - he needs to keep working on driving/finishing in traffic. Like Rashard, he's going to find himself with a lot of opportunities. If he can make teams pay, it would be huge for our team.
    Austin - successful surgery, gain weight, lift, recover. He has so much potential, let's not waste it on trying to get back on the court as soon as possible.
    Daishon - a lot of work to do. Hopefully a lot of the decision making lapses will be corrected though osmosis. He needs to use his physical skills/quickness to be a difference maker on defense. I want to see some Tekele Cotton type breakaways from this guy.
    Darral - so many gifts on offense, so many issues on defense. Footwork is a big issue - how many travelling calls did we see from him? I love his size, rebounding and energy but he's a liability if he can't figure out some of fundamentals.
    Rauno - I expect big things from him next season. Be a leader, be a mentor for our young 7 footer. Work on conditioning/speed. Between he and Shaq, we have a formidable duo in the post.
    CJ - keep working, do what the coaches ask, be in the gym more than anyone. He looks like he has all the physical tools, just needs a chance to play. If Austin sits out, he may get that chance, he needs to be ready.
    Eric - really hard to figure him out. Has all the physical tools in the world. I have no idea what's going on behind closed doors - is he not practicing hard enough, is he not getting extra gym time? Need to take a hard look at what he wants out of this opportunity.
    2 new guys - get to Wichita as soon as school is out and practice/absorb as much as you can. Don't take a back seat to anybody and train like you are planning on playing from Day 1. You never know when your name will be called.

I would like Darral to realize he has a right hand. Someone needs to show it him and then teach him how to use it.

Rashard needs to continue working on finishing around the basket. There was improvement by the end of this season, but he still had some head scratching misses when he was 1.5 inches from the hoop.
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Great post. A couple of things I would like to add:

Landry's defense - Pretty solid for his freshman year, but playing against players like Scootchie Smith, there is a significant downgrade when Landry guards vs Zach. I'm not expecting Landry to be Zach, Tekele or Ron kind of good, but if he can get closer to it next season, I don't know how teams will score against us.

Darral Willis - really practice operating and passing out of a double team, work on the opposite hand.

Markis - learning to score against physical play down low, drives to the basket, and if those are achieved, the ability to post up smaller defenders

As a whole, I would like to see our entire team be more effective driving to the basket. Landry seemed to be getting it late. Markis, Zach and Rashard should have good enough handles and athletic ability to take their man to the basket and finish.

Comment

The drive Landry had late against Dayton was great. Drove right, slowed and faked a spin, and left everyone for an easy lay up. Need more of the, as mentioned above, change of pace and direction. I think it's going to click for him. He'll also be further healed from that stress fracture. Stronger and more explosive next year.

Comment

Zach Brown gotta do something about that hair. Not the worst hair do I saw during the tourney but still..

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
            I would like Darral to realize he has a right hand. Someone needs to show it him and then teach him how to use it.

Rashard needs to continue working on finishing around the basket. There was improvement by the end of this season, but he still had some head scratching misses when he was 1.5 inches from the hoop.
            And FTs!

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
              Zach Brown gotta do something about that hair. Not the worst hair do I saw during the tourney but still..
              Makes him easy to find him in a crowd.

Comment

With a healthy stronger AR we will have an awesome top eight.
                Sure, room to improve, but already starting at a very high level.
                These eight seem to get it. Question is - who will "get it" and
                join those eight. Need at least one or two. DW has the talent
                but never quite got it mentally. If the light comes on for him and
                he develops a right hand he could be a difference maker. The
                next best possibility would be a 5th year transfer ( shot blocker or
                PG ). Next would be either AM or SJ being better than expectations.

Comment

CJ could make a big step up this year and be the 8th guy. I think 3G is really high on him.

Comment

This is usually the time of year the Coaches meet with the players on areas to work on which explains why we see nice development each year. These individual improvements can sure soar our team-play to new heights. The competition within our squad for PT will keep it real. If our team D., our shooting, and our ball handling all improves next Season as a team, Watch Out!!!

This is also the time of year that players decide if they are staying in the Program because these individual meetings will address such areas as well. Playing time will be fierce next Season. I could see us in the top 10-15 most of the Season easily and feel pretty solid about that so early on but I digress because it is so early for such projections.
                    even more so than this past Season? Dunno, but I hope so.
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      CJ could make a big step up this year and be the 8th guy. I think 3G is really high on him.
                      If CJ become that "lock down" defender and improves his outside shooting, this could happen. 3G has a place on the hardwood for lock-down defenders.
                      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                        Whats wrong with his hair, is it too ethnic for you?
                        Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
                          Whats wrong with his hair, is it too ethnic for you?
                          Nothing ethnic about it, but there are only five acceptable haircuts:

High and tight like Zack Bush

Boy band suave like Ron Baker

Balding like Conner Frankamp

Hitler youth like Rauno Nurger

The mullet
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Landry - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                            Markis - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                            Conner - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                            Shaq - Needs to grow 2 inches and lose 20 pounds of fat.
                            Rashard - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                            Zach - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                            Austin - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 60 pounds of muscle.
                            Daishon - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                            Darral - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                            Rauno - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                            CJ - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                            Eric - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of neurons.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Landry - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                              Markis - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                              Conner - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                              Shaq - Needs to grow 2 inches and lose 20 pounds of fat.
                              Rashard - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                              Zach - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                              Austin - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 60 pounds of muscle.
                              Daishon - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                              Darral - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                              Rauno - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                              CJ - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of muscle.
                              Eric - Needs to grow 2 inches and add 20 pounds of neurons.
                              Isn't there a pill for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X