Just Wichita?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Wichita?

I had an interesting question posed to me today from an out of towner co-worker.

Do I think it's weird that some national broadcasters/writers refer to us as just "Wichita"?

My response was that I thought it was just lazy to call us that, how hard is it to include "State", but the more I think about it I can't really decide if I care or not.

I mean, everyone knows who they're talking about when they say "Wichita", and it's sort of like UNC being just called "Carolina".

Just wondering what you guys think.

I guess I've decided that it doesn't really bother me, but I'd prefer if they'd add on the State. We haven't been Wichita University since the 60s.

Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
    I had an interesting question posed to me today from an out of towner co-worker.

Do I think it's weird that some national broadcasters/writers refer to us as just "Wichita"?

My response was that I thought it was just lazy to call us that, how hard is it to include "State", but the more I think about it I can't really decide if I care or not.

I mean, everyone knows who they're talking about when they say "Wichita", and it's sort of like UNC being just called "Carolina".

I guess I've decided that it doesn't really bother me, but I'd prefer if they'd add on the State. We haven't been Wichita University since the 60s.
    Think you might have missed the several day long thread discussing this about a week back

Comment

Doesn't bother me, X, precisely because, as you noted, everyone who knows college basketball -- especially now after the seeding fiasco -- knows Wichita. It isn't like Ohio vs. Ohio State, where the key word is the "State." Or even Oklahoma vs. OSU, where omitting "State" (as I heard a radio news reader who probably doesn't have a clue about the tournament do today when she referred to the upcoming game between Michigan and Oklahoma) puts you on the wrong side of bedlam.

Frankly, I wouldn't even mind if they changed the name back, in Memphis fashion., which was discussed at some length in a separate thread, as Sly noted. I just hope the Shocks step up and play angry tonight so that come Sunday we're still hearing people talk about either Wichita or Wichita State in the present tense.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyShock View Post
        Think you might have missed the several day long thread discussing this about a week back
        That was different. That was all about should we go back to WU or stick with WSU, not whether we care what others call us.

I personally don't mind if others call us simply "Wichita". It just shows how far we've come on the national stage that everyone knows that "Wichita" is WSU.
        Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

I don't like it when they call us "Just Wichita" or Even "Just Wichita State" otherwise I am fine with Wichita, Wichita State, the Shocks, the Shockers, the WheatShockers, National Champs, etc.

Comment

Vandy, Nova, Carolina, Cincy, Zona to name a few others that get shortened

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              I don't like it when they call us "Just Wichita" or Even "Just Wichita State" otherwise I am fine with Wichita, Wichita State, the Shocks, the Shockers, the WheatShockers, National Champs, etc.

P.S. I'm not a racist! :)
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Lol, yea I don't like it when they call us "Just Wichita" either.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

P.S. I'm not a racist! :)
                  I really feel bad if I made you drop your taco. I really hate when that happens. I'll send you a replacment in the mail.

Comment

As long as they're still calling us next weekend, I'm fine with it.

Comment

Comment

Thanks. 72

Comment

Note to the American Athletic Conference. You can call us whatever you like. Just please, please call.

Comment

Yeah I don't care

Comment

Originally posted by XManCometh View Post

Cool story

Comment

Working...
                              X