No announcement yet.

Dave Stallworth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Stallworth story. After his heart attack he played with Nate Bowman and Goose Doughty (the guy looked pregnant, but could really shoot from distance) with the Wichita Maybuilders in the AAU tournament in Denver. The team from Michigan had Cassie and Bill Buntin; Tennessee team had Clyde Lee and a host of other All-Americans playing either immediately after graduation or some years later. Imbeli ve Les Lane played PG for the Wichita team. When Goose would lunch a three, with a straight back, belly sticking out, right knee up to his waist and a very high arching trajectory (you could go out and buy popcorn at launch and be back in your seat to watch it tickle the twine) the entire crowd would gasp in anticipation.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

man, how i loved to watch the pickup games between the shocker old guard (stallworth, littleton) and the shocker new guard (carr, levingston, mcdaniel). fierce.. ferocious. really, not for the faint of heart. it was basketball as warrior battle, no hyperbole. that old guard was rough as hell.. and the new guard, look at those names, fought right back. incredible stuff.

damn, rave.. how could you leave us now?

Comment

What did Dave do for Boeing?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          The battle between the #1 ranked Wichita State Shockers lead by Dave the Rave and the #2 ranked Michigan Wolverines lead by Cazzie Russell on December 14, 1964 In Detroit was perhaps comparable to the Shocker loss to Kentucky in the NCAA's a couple years ago although maybe not at much on the line. It was on the tube so many Shocker fans were able to watch. My memory may be a bit faulty bit IIRC Cazzie Russell hit about a 30-foot jumper to give the #2 ranked Wolverines a 87-85 victory and I think the teams swapped rankings in the next poll. Still it was about as big time of a game you could have had in those days in all of college basketball. Dave was simply a magnificent player and a really good guy. Not sure if Dave really realized how big of an role model he was to so many young Shocker fans of the time.
          My favorite Shocker memory; the Shockers played a couple of other noteworthy teams on that road trip!

Comment

Met Dave when I was young and he was so nice and friendly to me. What a great man and an awesome player.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by atlwsu View Post
              What did Dave do for Boeing?
              I believe he was in procurement for a bulk of the time there, but could be wrong.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Around a dozen years back, give or take, my grandson and I were at a Shocker game when we spied Dave the Rave sitting on the end of row 11 or 12 in Section 122. I think those were his regular seats.
                My grandson wanted to get his autograph and the game had not started yet. So I gave him a pen and told him he could go ask Dave for his autograph. He gave Dave his pen and Dave said "What do you want me to sign". My Grandson had a gold Shocker T-Shirt on. He asked Dave to sign his T-Shirt. Dave said "You want me to runi a perfectly good shirt?". My grandson said ' Yes Sir" and got his autograph.

Comment

Worked around Dave in the late 80s early 90s at Boeing. We got to know each other fairly well. Of course we talked Shocker basketball, NBA and just life in general. He was a modest person but one thing he did feel sure about was that he felt they would have won the National Title if the Shocks had there full team. He always had a smile and was easy to talk to. After working around Dave for about 5 years I transferred to the military side. Didn't see him again in person but always followed what he was up to through his interactions with WSU. REST IN PEACE Dave, you'll always be in the hearts of your Shocker faithful.

Comment

The Knicks paid tribute to Dave the Rave before their game against the Nets tonight

Comment

We are Shocker Nation, but we are also Shocker Family. We lost our Patriarch. Rest in peace, great man.

Comment

RIP Dave the Rave.

Comment

First thing that came to my mind when I saw Dave's passing was this very special day that he and 4 other Shocker greats got together with fans.

IMG_0808a.jpgIMG_0809a.jpgIMG_0807a.jpg

We've all missed seeing Dave at the games and how much he has missed be at them. He'll no longer miss Shocker games as I know he has the best seat on the front row.

As a note, my better half put together the poster/picture from the newspaper and other items from the day.

Comment

So does anyone know if the Shocker uniforms will have Dave's number on them somewhere? That would be a nice tribute.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                              So does anyone know if the Shocker uniforms will have Dave's number on them somewhere? That would be a nice tribute.
                              A black band on the uni somewhere with his number, coupled with an impressive run through this tourney would be really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                                A black band on the uni somewhere with his number, coupled with an impressive run through this tourney would be really nice.
                                Or a small patch that simply says The Rave.

Comment

Working...
                                X