Dave Stallworth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thunderkwb View Post
    WIN IT FOR DAVE!!!!! I really hope the team has a tribute for him....
    I GUARANTEE coach will say some words. He has GREAT admiration for our past greats
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Very sad day for the his family and shocker nation. RIP sir

Comment

A fine gentleman and a great Shocker. RIP Mr. Stallworth.
        "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

Oh my, RIP! He used to play pickup ball every afternoon at Henry Levitt with students. He was a true gentleman and great guy.
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I never saw him play other than in clips. I heard many stories of his ability and loved seeing him at the games. I did get to play against him in an industrial league and we held our own against his team until half time. After that his team got him the ball and he was unstoppable. He had to be in his 40's at that time.

Comment

Uugh.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Such a great Shocker and great individual. Shocker Nation mourns.

Two quick stories. Home from college on Christmas break, my buddy said, you've ogt to go see Stallworth. I said, "what number does he wear?" The reply, "you'll recognize without knowing his number." I got to the freshman game and was settling into my seat when a ball hit the heel of the rim and bounced for a lng defensive rebound. Dave got it, bunced it once and it went off his elbow, he chased it down and dibbled it off his kne, he caught up to it about 25 feet from the basket, grabbed it with both hands and made the prettiest jumpshot I had ever seen at the time. In truth, he probably bungled the ball a couple more times in this sequence, but I wanted to keep the scenario somewhat believable.

The second one is one everybody knows. Dave was called for traveling so many times on his baseline, moves that Ralph Miller took slow motion film to the league office and explained to officials that his moves were not traveling. He told the refs to watch his feet and not be influenced by his knees and elbows seemingly flying in all different directions at the same time. The refs only called Dave for traveling sporadically thereafter.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

The battle between the #1 ranked Wichita State Shockers lead by Dave the Rave and the #2 ranked Michigan Wolverines lead by Cazzie Russell on December 14, 1964 In Detroit was perhaps comparable to the Shocker loss to Kentucky in the NCAA's a couple years ago although maybe not at much on the line. It was on the tube so many Shocker fans were able to watch. My memory may be a bit faulty bit IIRC Cazzie Russell hit about a 30-foot jumper to give the #2 ranked Wolverines a 87-85 victory and I think the teams swapped rankings in the next poll. Still it was about as big time of a game you could have had in those days in all of college basketball. Dave was simply a magnificent player and a really good guy. Not sure if Dave really realized how big of an role model he was to so many young Shocker fans of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    The battle between the #1 ranked Wichita State Shockers lead by Dave the Rave and the #2 ranked Michigan Wolverines lead by Cazzie Russell on December 14, 1964 In Detroit was perhaps comparable to the Shocker loss to Kentucky in the NCAA's a couple years ago although maybe not at much on the line. It was on the tube so many Shocker fans were able to watch. My memory may be a bit faulty bit IIRC Cazzie Russell hit about a 30-foot jumper to give the #2 ranked Wolverines a 87-85 victory and I think the teams swapped rankings in the next poll. Still it was about as big time of a game you could have had in those days in all of college basketball. Dave was simply a magnificent player and a really good guy. Not sure if Dave really realized how big of an role model he was to so many young Shocker fans of the time.
                    Watched this game on black & white TV at my parents' house. I thought it was a 40-footer.

Comment

My sympathies to Shocker Nation. A great player and seemingly a real gentleman. May he rest in peace.

Comment

WICHITA, Kan. – Wichita State mourns one of its all-time men's basketball legends, Dave Stallworth, who passed away Thursday morning at the age of 75.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          Watched this game on black & white TV at my parents' house. I thought it was a 40-footer.
                          It'll be a 50 footer before his eulogy comes around. And that's fine by me!
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Section R
                            Row 23
                            Bob Lutz shares his memories of growing up and watching Dave Stallworth play at Wichita State. Stallworth died Wednesday night at age 75.
                            For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                            - said no one ever...

Comment

One of my childhood heroes. RIP.

Comment

I never had the pleasure to see Dave play for the Shockers but watched many an NBA game as a youngster, learning about Shocker basketball via his Knicks playing days. I used to see him at Boeing all the time when I worked 2nd shift back in the early 80s. He was always so gracious, shy, but willing to talk a little Shocker basketball.

It's too bad he won't get to see his beloved Shockers finally win a national championship.

Rest in peace Dave the Rave.

Comment

Working...
                                X