Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Marshall-era Player Would You Add To This Team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Marshall-era Player Would You Add To This Team?

I've toyed with this discussion a few times. Wanted to see what the general consensus was.

I love this team that Marshall has assembled, but I also love what-if scenarios. What one player would you add to this team that you feel would make us contenders for a title? Do we do that by enhancing our strengths, shoring up weaknesses, or creating a matchup problem?

I know who I would pick in a heartbeat, but I'm interested to get feedback here.
    Ron Baker
    4.27%
    Darius Carter
    0.85%
    Tekele Cotton
    29.06%
    Cleanthony Early
    33.33%
    Carl Hall
    12.82%
    Toure Murry
    0.85%
    Joe Ragland
    0.00%
    Garrett Stutz
    4.27%
    Fred VanVleet
    11.97%
    Other
    2.56%
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

FVV from Marshall era
    X Man from all time
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

That was an easy decision for me. Obviously it has nothing to do with whom I miss the most but what assets Cle would bring that we don't have or could use the most. Really, this is a testament to just how stinking good of a guard combo we have with Landry and Connor.

Comment

Cle is just too much of a mismatch for most teams to handle.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
          That was an easy decision for me. Obviously it has nothing to do with whom I miss the most but what assets Cle would bring that we don't have or could use the most. Really, this is a testament to just how stinking good of a guard combo we have with Landry and Connor.
          Stutz

Edit: Waffled on Cle or Toure, but Stutz. A big upgrade over Rauno and we could go big with Stutz and Shaq in the lineup.
          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I'll take that Marcus Armstrong kid and West Regional MVP. Add guard depth and flexibility to play a very solid 3 guard line-up.

Comment

No one. This team's chemistry is perfect.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I personally went with Cle. He's a matchup nightmare for any team. And can you imagine this team with him at the 4? Holy cow.

Stutz was an interesting one. His height is something this team lacks at times. Ultimately I steered away from him because I don't think he's able to play at the speed necessary to make it worth it. Carter and Hall might both be good choices, although Hall's height is a detriment (not so much for Carter, as he has a 7' wingspan).

As @Shocktoberfest: pointed out, the fact that FVV and RB are not common choices speaks to how good Landry and Conner have been this season. The marginal value of FVV + RB is just not high because we have two guards playing at an extremely high level. Better offensively, not as good defensively. Ragland is a little farther behind those two, although he would have been something on that 2013 team.

Toure is another ball handler and a lockdown defender at 6'5", which could be great to have in addition to Zach Brown, whose weaknesses are most pronounced at the offensive end. He's not a great shooter, but good enough. Cotton would be a nice addition as well, as he could take guys off the bounce and was a little better shooter than Toure.

Man we have been blessed to be Shocker fans and watch these guys and this coach.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                  I've toyed with this discussion a few times. Wanted to see what the general consensus was.

I love this team that Marshall has assembled, but I also love what-if scenarios. What one player would you add to this team that you feel would make us contenders for a title? Do we do that by enhancing our strengths, shoring up weaknesses, or creating a matchup problem?

I know who I would pick in a heartbeat, but I'm interested to get feedback here.
                  Fantastic question. I would love to see Garrett & Shaq together and watch Stutz work and distribute from the post with Shamet, McDuffie, Frankamp and whomever fanned out at the 3.

I'll admit a little concern about really good, strong guards pressuring Landry and Conner. Fred takes care of that, plus makes plays whenever you need them.

Cle offers the type of play making mismatches you need to win titles.

Man GS was a nightmare to deal with his senior season. I'd love to see this team with that option.
                  I will always want Fred.

I gotta say Fred. Nobody wanted to win like that kid. Fred, Garrett then Cle.

Comment

Tekele Cotton.

All day.
                    Every day.
                    Twice on any day that ends in 'Y'.
                    And 19 times on gameday.

Comment

Cle ... The one thing we really don't do well is slash to the hole. Cle was great at that.

Running out a lineup of
                      Landry
                      Conner
                      Markis
                      Early
                      Morris

Holy crap ... No offense to Brown, but I'd take the defensive hit to have that offensive boost.

Comment

A healthy Montas Griskienas.

Comment

I agree on the sentiments about Cle being a match up nightmare, but I stepped outside the box and chose Tekele Cotton. Why? This team has no issues scoring and does so in a balanced way that is difficult to game plan against. So do we need another prolific scorer? The defense is good, but having Cotton cover the other team's best guard in addition to the defensive prowess of Zach Brown would give us perhaps the best defense in the country.

Then there's always this:

"It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Love RB and FVV but either would interfere with the team chemistry
                            we have developed. My first choice, by far, is TC cause I just love
                            defense and I know how important it is. Stutz would be second choice.
                            All time choice would be McDaniel but a Gene Wiley would be a very nice
                            addition.

Comment

This is an impossible question. If I have to choose one player to add, though, I have to do it by deciding who our weakest link in the starting lineup is right now.

Who is that person? I look at the way he finished the year and I can't call Landry a weak link, so no Fred. Same with Conner, so no change there. I think Markus has some Cle in him so I'll keep Markis. So it's gonna be Shaq or Zach for me. As much as I like Zach, I'd plug in Ron, Toure or Tekele over Zach at the 3. Gonna go with Ron for Zach. I'll change my mind in a few minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X