Doug Gottlieb's Job In Trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
    I looked up Gottlieb's college stats. He averaged about five points a game, and shot 44% on free throws. A point guard, shooting 44% from the line. But he likes to pretend that he was better than Fred, because Big 12.
    I remember from way back when I was in high school the Chickenhawks had a PG like that, too -- Aubrey Nash -- who absolutely could not shoot a free throw. I looked him up just now, and he was a .466 career foul shooter. How does a guy like that play PG when he can't be trusted with the ball in his hands late in the game?

Of course, with Gottlieb there were other things he couldn't be trusted with in his hands either, but that's another story.

Comment

To be fair, he also is the OSU career assist leader, 250 assists clear of 2nd place.

Comment

In fact, Gottlieb was a very good assist guy: 7.6 apg for his career, and well over 8.5 apg his last two years. That's a LOT of assists. Of course, it's also because teams didn't bother fouling him on the pass, because it wouldn't send him to the line.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          In fact, Gottlieb was a very good assist guy: 7.6 apg for his career, and well over 8.5 apg his last two years. That's a LOT of assists. Of course, it's also because teams didn't bother fouling him on the pass, because it wouldn't send him to the line.
          I watched Doug play on multiple occasions. One game in particular I recall, the defense sagged off of him below the free throw line, basically playing 4 on 4 man with a zone guy in the paint. He was 1-8 or something in that game but had 15 assists. He couldn't shoot a lick, but was a hell of a passer. Then there was the infamous game where he came out of the locker room with his shorts on backwards. The team huddled around him at the under 16 so he could turn them around. The crowd chanted, "pants on backwards" every time he touched the ball after that.

https://youtu.be/bf1izKbjTZ0
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
            I looked up Gottlieb's college stats. He averaged about five points a game, and shot 44% on free throws. A point guard, shooting 44% from the line. But he likes to pretend that he was better than Fred, because Big 12.
            He was not only a pass-first point guard he was a pass-first, second, third and fourth point guard. Definitely the teams #5 scoring option on offense whenever he was on the floor. I don't think I ever saw teams play so far off a point guard than they did against Gottlieb. It would not be uncommon for the guy guarding Gottlieb to sag back into the paint when Gottlieb had the ball above the keyhole area.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 25, 2017, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              He was not only a pass-first point guard he was a pass-first, second, third and fourth point guard. Definitely the teams #5 scoring option on offense. I don't think I ever saw teams play so far off a point guard than they did against Gottlieb. It would not be uncommon for the guy guarding Gottlieb to sag back into the paint when Gottlieb had the ball above the keyhole area.
              Absolutely!
              Livin the dream

Comment

He was also single season steals leader at Notre Dame. Too soon?

Comment

I remember watching him, and the television P/P announcers talking about how good he was in high school. As I watched him not be able to shoot free throws, defenses sagging off of him, etc. and I never could figure it out. I thought he was overrated then and I still do.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                    I watched Doug play on multiple occasions. One game in particular I recall, the defense sagged off of him below the free throw line, basically playing 4 on 4 man with a zone guy in the paint. He was 1-8 or something in that game but had 15 assists. He couldn't shoot a lick, but was a hell of a passer. Then there was the infamous game where he came out of the locker room with his shorts on backwards. The team huddled around him at the under 16 so he could turn them around. The crowd chanted, "pants on backwards" every time he touched the ball after that.

Wow. And he has the nerve to talk bad about anyone? And the fact that he needed his mommy to dress him is pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                      He is anti-Wichita State for some reason that I don't think has ever been revealed. Unfortunately, his best tweets have all been deleted. He would go on anti-Shocker tirades and trash Shocker fans and then would delete the tweets a few hours later, I assume when he sobered up.
                      Because it was his professional raison d'etre. As much as he was a middling or lesser college basketball player, he was an equally middling or lesser analyst. Someone of Gottlieb's calibre more than likely has a contract that pays him based on traffic he drives to the site. Barring quality content, his ideas had to get page-clicks somehow. He went the classic troll route and riled up fanbases into hate-clicking him all over the internet.
                      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        He was not only a pass-first point guard he was a pass-first, second, third and fourth point guard. Definitely the teams #5 scoring option on offense whenever he was on the floor. I don't think I ever saw teams play so far off a point guard than they did against Gottlieb. It would not be uncommon for the guy guarding Gottlieb to sag back into the paint when Gottlieb had the ball above the keyhole area.
                        I've never seen anything like Gottlieb in regard to this. He was potentially NBA caliber as an assist guy, but he couldn't have played Biddy basketball if the coach needed a shooter. He was like a guy who could lift 400 pounds with his right hand but couldn't pick up a water glass with his left.
                        The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

I remember watching that game live. I've never seen anything like it.
                          The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                            Gotleib's best chance of getting hired anywhere are probably at a YMCA.. Nobody wants a bias personality like his respresenting them.. Osu is merely in a position nobody wants to be in, as in they cant decide if they dump all their money into football or basketball. And as long as they have been in that position, it will be tough to retain good coaches in either sport.
                            The YMCA requires strong role models for youth development. Doug Gottlieb does not model the Honesty,Caring and Respect necessary.
                            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock View Post
                              I've never seen anything like Gottlieb in regard to this. He was potentially NBA caliber as an assist guy, but he couldn't have played Biddy basketball if the coach needed a shooter. He was like a guy who could lift 400 pounds with his right hand but couldn't pick up a water glass with his left.
                              How do you think his right hand got so much stronger than his left?

Comment

Originally posted by WSUfan1998 View Post
                                I have a stupid question, why do we hate this guy so much? Keep in mind, I get most of my shocker news right here. Thanks
                                Caught him on the Herd the other day and he said Marshall would be stuck at WSU because he once changed his mind about leaving Winthrop and Lynn. No mention of his salary or team performance, just those factors. I switched to Fox to get away from ESPNs politics, I hate that he is there now.

Comment

Working...
                                X