Indy Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy Travel

Thought a thread to discuss travel to Indy would be worthwhile.

Flights from ICT to Indy on Thursday returning Monday as of last night were in the 600-800ish range. Based on that I'm thinking driving is looking like the better option.

Anyone know when the Alumni Association will make their decision on whether to offer a charter flight?

FWIW the drive is about 10-12 hours depending on how often you stop and any traffic in KS or St. Louis.
    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Alumni Assoc. will likely not offer charters for this round similar to last year. There may be travel packages available, but doubt it will include flight. Stay tuned.

Comment

Just heard from Alumni Assoc. that no packages will be offered for this round - with flight or otherwise. Load up the car it is for me! Anyone else planning to drive?

For those familiar with Indianapolis, any recommendations on areas or hotels to target or avoid? Thanks

Comment

Sorry I can't speak for hotels (I stay with in laws) but I can recommend bars. The fountain square area is about 2 miles SE of downtown. Lots of micro brews and distilleries.
          Nearer downtown is the tow yard brewery 10 blocks south of the arena. There's also a must-visit brewery in a converted Catholic Church : St. Joseph brewery. I can recommend the food at St Joseph's too. About 1 mile NE of monument circle.

If you are a race fan go to the speedway museum and also take the tour bus ride around the track.

The NCAA buildings are just west of downtown on the white river trail. They have a museum stolen from KC 😉 If you don't like our seed I suggest spitting on their offices.
          I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

Oh and the downtown area is pretty safe. But I've been mostly on the south side during the day. I'd avoid south of interstate 70 though. Also don't stay on the NW side much past 10th.

Another funky (good) bar area is Broadripple. 10 miles north of downtown.
            I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

Hey guys, WELCOME TO INDIANAPOLIS!!! I was thrilled to hear you're coming to our fair city! If you can't get a room downtown, my next choice would be the airport. There is also a nice Hilton Garden Inn at I-65S and County Line Road on the far south side which would put you about 10 minutes from downtown. That interchange also has a Holiday Inn Express that could be an option. It's a quick trip to downtown from the far southside, so Greenwood is also an option.

While in Indy, fork out the $$$ for dinner (or lunch) at St. Elmo's Steakhouse downtown. My favorite place! A side note, Harry and Izzy's, also downtown, is owned by the same people. So if you can't get into one...

I'll be rooting for you! I even changed my twitter avatar to WuShock. Knock off Dayton and then pay back that crook from Lexington!!!

Comment

Would rather have dinner at The Stables in Terre Haute on my way in to Indianapolis.

Comment

Wichita to Indy is a very tough drive. If you have more cash than time and patience I would fly. Regardless, thanks to those with enough of either to go support the team. I will be cheering from home.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Would rather have dinner at The Stables in Terre Haute on my way in to Indianapolis.
                    Also a great choice!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      A great steak restaurant; ate there when we lived near Evansville.

Fine dining in an intimate atmosphere featuring premium black angus steaks and an array of fine wines.

Comment

Uncle Eli always booked rooms for us at the downtown Union Station Hotel (former train depot); great location close to numerous downtown restaurants.

Comment

Working...
                        X