Interesting Read on Athletic Finances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Read on Athletic Finances

From the "Peoria Journal Star"--an interesting article regarding college athletics/budgets, etc.

Originally posted by Singeril View Post
    From the "Peoria Journal Star"--an interesting article regarding college athletics/budgets, etc.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/2017022...leges-big-boys
    Good read and addresses my own concerns regards the future of non-P5 men's basketball programs, to wit:
    "Opinions differ over how unsustainable. Of the eight college administrators and coaches interviewed for this story, all agree the challenges are growing for schools outside the Power Five, the 65 members of the five wealthiest conferences in NCAA Division I.

Bradley's Roberts was the most emphatic in his assessment and believes major restructuring will come sooner than later. Such changes could run the gamut from a split of Division I basketball and other sports into two divisions (such as already exists in football) to individual schools deciding unilaterally to downsize to the less expensive worlds of Division II or III."

Comment

What caught my eye is the plot showing WSU has the same revenue as a BU, Swmo, UNI, ISUR - the only difference is they can devote more of it to basketball because unlike those schools WSU doesn't have football.

All the MVC schools list also required significant subsidies where WSU Didn't.

Comment

What caught my eye was Blowjay AD Bruce Rassmussen saying "Somebody has to lose these games, and that gives us leverage".

The Creighton way.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          What caught my eye is the plot showing WSU has the same revenue as a BU, Swmo, UNI, ISUR - the only difference is they can devote more of it to basketball because unlike those schools WSU doesn't have football.

All the MVC schools list also required significant subsidies where WSU Didn't.
          I hope all the, bring back football supporters will read this.

Comment

If you are happy with the MVC, you can live with what we are going through now. Waiting every year to see if the
            Power 5 schools and some committee wil LET Wichita State into the NCAA tournament.

If you aren't, we need to change conferences and that might mean having to bring back football.I would prefer the
            AAC without football.

If we have to bring back football to get out of the MVC, I say bring it on.
            I can't stand the way things are now!

Comment

As the schools with finances similar to WSU's left the Valley, the Valley kept replacing them with schools that had recently transitioned from a lower college division. Those schools didn't have the history, budget base, or alumni support that WSU had. Now we're in a league with a bunch of schools that can't afford to keep up with where D1 is headed.

Apparently there are a lot of teacher's colleges or former teacher's colleges in the league. The alumni bases of those schools can't afford to contribute to athletic programs.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
              X