No announcement yet.

Praise from ISU fan in attendance . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Praise from ISU fan in attendance . . .

Beyond the game itself, it seems we have greatly improved the overall game day production in the last couple of years - less cheesy promotions, no half-time show rather than one that sucks, etc. I like to watch visiting fans behind their bench to see how the interact with our environment - do they respect our alma mater?, do they interact with things like Kiss Cam, Kids Dunk, in-game promotions?, etc. The ISU fans looked they had a great time, despite the outcome.
    For some perspective, this is from the ISU board from a fan who was here:

"It's the WHOLE damn experience. NOT JUST THE GAME. From the lines before the gates open. The intensity and excitement and volume of the pep band. The fantastic in game promotions. The lack of lag time in those promotions. Nothing cheesy. The engagement of the crowd. The knowledge of the crowd. Every time they hit a 3, the PA guy exclaims the player name and then unloads..."and that's a Shocker..." and the WHOLE DAMN CROWD shouts THREEEEEEEEEEE, with both arms, 3 fingers in the air. The right blend of professionalism and excitement from the PA guy. Constant playing from the pep band. A full crowd for ten plus years. And hell, I haven't even mentioned the students! This paragraph is only the tip of the iceberg.

You can just sense that the whole damn department is ALL-IN, and oddly, it's so incredibly professional. Yet is ecstatically EXCITING. You should walk away from a college basketball game day event just absolutely CLAMORING to go back. Not even so much from the game...but from the whole damn experience.

They are freaking head and shoulders, in the game-day experience, above everyone in The Valley. Actually, our guys on the radio even said tonight...it's one of the best in the country. And THAT SHOULD FLIPPING BOTHER US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not because what they have is good...but because we can be every every EVERY bit as good, if not better. Not just what happens on the court...but what happens in the damn arena. Everything surrounding the game. I cannot BELIEVE that it doesn't bother you more!!!! We have so much damn more to offer with the experience at Redbird, and we are missing it!!

I worked with some of those people in admin, and they're good people!!! But we are getting SMOKED in the game day experience, and if that doesn't bother our AD, our asst AD's, our president, our coach, our players, our students, and our message board fans (among others)...then we should find another team to root for.

I love The Redbirds, man. No way you can sit in that environment tonight, as a visiting school, and not be INSPIRED to put a MUCH BETTER product out for the, well, for EVERYBODY associated with ISU. They all should have been there tonight, with notebooks in hand. I'm not kidding. Literally. The AD and all his assistants. That's NOT a bravado statement. That's just wanting to get better.

This post doesn't give justice to the fact of how much we are lacking in the game-day experience and just how good theirs is, from a perspective of the whole event. I'm not a Shocker fan, ok?? But I am WOW'd by that incredible environment. And I respect it tremendously."
    If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Originally posted by Rixtoy1 View Post
    Beyond the game itself, it seems we have greatly improved the overall game day production in the last couple of years - less cheesy promotions, no half-time show rather than one that sucks, etc. I like to watch visiting fans behind their bench to see how the interact with our environment - do they respect our alma mater?, do they interact with things like Kiss Cam, Kids Dunk, in-game promotions?, etc. The ISU fans looked they had a great time, despite the outcome.
    For some perspective, this is from the ISU board from a fan who was here:

"It's the WHOLE damn experience. NOT JUST THE GAME. From the lines before the gates open. The intensity and excitement and volume of the pep band. The fantastic in game promotions. The lack of lag time in those promotions. Nothing cheesy. The engagement of the crowd. The knowledge of the crowd. Every time they hit a 3, the PA guy exclaims the player name and then unloads..."and that's a Shocker..." and the WHOLE DAMN CROWD shouts THREEEEEEEEEEE, with both arms, 3 fingers in the air. The right blend of professionalism and excitement from the PA guy. Constant playing from the pep band. A full crowd for ten plus years. And hell, I haven't even mentioned the students! This paragraph is only the tip of the iceberg.

You can just sense that the whole damn department is ALL-IN, and oddly, it's so incredibly professional. Yet is ecstatically EXCITING. You should walk away from a college basketball game day event just absolutely CLAMORING to go back. Not even so much from the game...but from the whole damn experience.

They are freaking head and shoulders, in the game-day experience, above everyone in The Valley. Actually, our guys on the radio even said tonight...it's one of the best in the country. And THAT SHOULD FLIPPING BOTHER US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not because what they have is good...but because we can be every every EVERY bit as good, if not better. Not just what happens on the court...but what happens in the damn arena. Everything surrounding the game. I cannot BELIEVE that it doesn't bother you more!!!! We have so much damn more to offer with the experience at Redbird, and we are missing it!!

I worked with some of those people in admin, and they're good people!!! But we are getting SMOKED in the game day experience, and if that doesn't bother our AD, our asst AD's, our president, our coach, our players, our students, and our message board fans (among others)...then we should find another team to root for.

I love The Redbirds, man. No way you can sit in that environment tonight, as a visiting school, and not be INSPIRED to put a MUCH BETTER product out for the, well, for EVERYBODY associated with ISU. They all should have been there tonight, with notebooks in hand. I'm not kidding. Literally. The AD and all his assistants. That's NOT a bravado statement. That's just wanting to get better.

This post doesn't give justice to the fact of how much we are lacking in the game-day experience and just how good theirs is, from a perspective of the whole event. I'm not a Shocker fan, ok?? But I am WOW'd by that incredible environment. And I respect it tremendously."
    I can't wait to see Fev's response!��

Comment

"Every bit as good ? Even better ?"

Lol. Go get um Fever

Comment

Unfortunately being heads and shoulders above the rest of the Valley for game day experience still leaves a lot of territory on the upside.

That said last nights environment was very good. Good job Shocker fans and very good job by the Shocker students.

Comment

Originally posted by moshock View Post
          "Every bit as good ? Even better ?"

Lol. Go get um Fever
          Sorry, but this post didn't strike me as one in which we would sick or resident shockernet pitbull on. Every sports team in the world strives to be the best. That's normal. I personally interpreted this as a compliment to the fans in Wichita and the environment at the Roundhouse, one of the top country. Will they ever get there? They have two chances, slim and none.

We have a great thing going for us in Wichita. I like the fact that others are jealous!

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
            Sorry, but this post didn't strike me as one in which we would sick or resident shockernet pitbull on. Every sports team in the world strives to be the best. That's normal. I personally interpreted this as a compliment to the fans in Wichita and the environment at the Roundhouse, one of the top country. Will they ever get there? They have two chances, slim and none.

We have a great thing going for us in Wichita. I like the fact that others are jealous!
            LOL! I think it's because SF continually botches about our in game production. This is a Redbird AND they think we have a good athletic department. Fever HAS to hate that!
            Livin the dream

Comment

A great post from the Redbird meltdown forum

"to paraphrase the David Simms to Roy McAvoy conversation at the end of 'Tin Cup', "gotta hand it to us; when we go down, we go down in flames!"
              Last edited by shoxxfmr; February 5, 2017, 11:52 AM. Reason: wrong color

Comment

I don't believe it has been ONLY Fev that has bemoaned the in-game promotions, lack of half-time quality, sick and tired of not enough pep band. Interesting to have outside perspective.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Only slight gripe I have from last night was at the under-4 timeout in the first half. We started to get some momentum with the crowd. I think the defense blocked a shot out of bounds or something like that. The crowd was starting to smell blood...

...and then the women's tennis team was sent out. Buzzkill. I get it. I really do...more than you think or know...but dangit, why must we do that?

That's the small silver lining I have about potential home NIT games. NO PROMOS!
                  78-65

Comment

In the Normal paper both Muller and a player remarked that the crowd was awesome and a factor.

Comment

Hell - what is interesting is that we have gone backwards....

Muller called a timeout due to a WSU run to start the second half and we went into two straight commercials. That should be an automatic "we're going to beat the hell out of you" moment.

I am with SF.... this has only gotten worse over the last decade. The need for $$$$$ is part of the issue and I know they need it, but balance is important.

Comment

IMO this year has not been as good. It's like they're having a new person doing the job. They're has been a number of times that the crowd has been ready to go to the next level and it was squelched. But the student numbers haven't been good, we haven't had good teams here, and other factors have been involved so it hasn't seemed worth mentioning.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
                          Hell - what is interesting is that we have gone backwards....

Muller called a timeout due to a WSU run to start the second half and we went into two straight commercials. That should be an automatic "we're going to beat the hell out of you" moment.

I am with SF.... this has only gotten worse over the last decade. The need for $$$$$ is part of the issue and I know they need it, but balance is important.
                          That one pissed me off. The crowd was ready to unload and they killed it.

I told the people around me that they should be letting the band play right now and every single person felt the same way.
                          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

I sometimes peruse opponent boards and the quoted ISU poster (Humdinger, I believe) is referencing a game he was at last month, as he started an entire thread a week or so ago about it. He joined the ISU board late last month. I have wondered if he's actually a WSU troll, but he seems to be accepted as one their own. When I read his first post from January I immediately thought of all the criticism leveled here against our AD. Perhaps we should get some perspective.

Comment

Somebody asked me why we didn't use the sound meter last game. I'm still wiping up my spittle.
                              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                              X