KenPom 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KenPom 2017

Finally broke down and paid for a KenPom membership. So here are some random stats.

ORtg for Conference Games only (40% of minutes played minimum)
    1. Landry - 156.3
    2. Rauno - 152.7
    3. McDuffie - 143.5
    4 Kennell(Bradley) - 140.3
    14. Frankamp - 120.6
    23. Smith - 109.8
    33. Willis - 103.7
    49. ZB - 87.4

ORtg for all game (MVC members only though) (40% of minutes played minimum)
    1.Landry - 125.6
    2. Jackson(Loyola) - 121.2
    3. Frankamp - 119.8
    5.Mcduffie - 119.2
    6. Smith - 118.8
    16. Brown - 113.3
    20. Willis - 110.6

Frankamp is much higher than I figured .. Landry is tearing it up.

I'll add random things as I find them :)

Edit 1:
    STL% (All Games)
    1. Smith - 4.8%
    2. Fletcher 3.77%
    3. Morgan - 3.72%

STL% Conference games
    1. Smith 6.2%
    2. Doyle 4.28%
    3. Lee 3.45%

Smith is VERY underrated as a defender ...

There is more to defense than getting steals. Walt Lemon Jr. might disagree with me, but that doesn't make me wrong.

Comment

Best $19.95 you'll spend each year. It's nerd paradise.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
        There is more to defense than getting steals. Walt Lemon Jr. might disagree with me, but that doesn't make me wrong.
        Oh I agree. But steals do help ... and he is dominating that category.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
          Best $19.95 you'll spend each year. It's nerd paradise.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
            Finally broke down and paid for a KenPom membership. So here are some random stats.

ORtg for Conference Games only (40% of minutes played minimum)
            1. Landry - 156.3
            2. Rauno - 152.7
            3. McDuffie - 143.5
            4 Kennell(Bradley) - 140.3
            14. Frankamp - 120.6
            23. Smith - 109.8
            33. Willis - 103.7
            49. ZB - 87.4

ORtg for all game (MVC members only though) (40% of minutes played minimum)
            1.Landry - 125.6
            2. Jackson(Loyola) - 121.2
            3. Frankamp - 119.8
            5.Mcduffie - 119.2
            6. Smith - 118.8
            16. Brown - 113.3
            20. Willis - 110.6

Frankamp is much higher than I figured .. Landry is tearing it up.

I'll add random things as I find them :)

Edit 1:
            STL% (All Games)
            1. Smith - 4.8%
            2. Fletcher 3.77%
            3. Morgan - 3.72%

STL% Conference games
            1. Smith 6.2%
            2. Doyle 4.28%
            3. Lee 3.45%

Smith is VERY underrated as a defender ...
            What is Reaves' efficiency rating at now? Even though he doesn't qualify based on minutes played.

Comment

Reaves season long Offensive rating is 138.3. He's only playing 33% of the team's minutes, and is only responsible for 17% of the possessions while he's on the court, but still, 138.3 is incredible.

He's at 164.3 in MVC play!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                Reaves season long Offensive rating is 138.3. He's only playing 33% of the team's minutes, and is only responsible for 17% of the possessions while he's on the court, but still, 138.3 is incredible.

He's at 164.3 in MVC play!
                I am not sure what this offensive rating means but I know I am more than pleased with AR. Still have my hopes up that he earns a starting role this season.

Comment

Would someone possibly have a link to the definitions for some of these metrics and stats. I'm fairly new to the idea of thinking about basketball from an analytics standpoint and i'm sure others are to.
                  Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                    I am not sure what this offensive rating means but I know I am more than pleased with AR. Still have my hopes up that he earns a starting role this season.
                    I like him too. But I do not hope he earns a starting position because that most likely, the player he replaces isn't playing well. For this team to really be successful, we need all players to e having success.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                      Broadly, it means how many points they create per 100 possessions they "use"

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                        Would someone possibly have a link to the definitions for some of these metrics and stats. I'm fairly new to the idea of thinking about basketball from an analytics standpoint and i'm sure others are to.
                        From Ken Pomeroy
                        Offensive rating (ORtg): A measure of personal offensive efficiency developed by Dean Oliver. The formula is very complicated, but accurate. For a detailed explanation, buy Basketball on Paper.

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                          The easiest way to explain it is offensive rating represents the total number of points that would be scored over 100 possessions that involved that player (score, o-reb,turnover, assist). A general average is around 100 and we as a team are at 114.8. Usage indicates the percentage of possessions a player is involved in while on the floor.

Comment

Link to explanations.

Not sure you won't have to buy a subscription tho. He has fairly detailed explanations on everything he has. It is well thought out in my opinion.

Comment

@WUpigsooie: summarized it well. Also of note, it is clearly more impressive when someone has a high rating and plays a bunch of minutes and "uses" a high percentage of their team's possessions when they are on the court. A guy who plays 5 minutes per game, shoots 2 shots all year, and makes them both, will have a high rating, but clearly it isn't really all that meaningful.

Reaves' minutes are modest (Ken often likes to require 40% of team minutes for a player to be eligible for any "best of" lists) and Reaves' usage rate is also somewhat low. It is easier to have a high rating when you are selective with your shots. If Austin ever sees a significant increase in minutes, or in his offensive usage, I bet his offensive rating would go down, but even still, there is no denying that he has been very impressive so far.

#JamarSaysPositiveThingsAboutTheShox

Comment

Working...
                              X