Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What We've Learned So Far (16-17 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What We've Learned So Far (16-17 Edition)

Coming into the season, we didn't quite know what to expect. Like HCGM spoke about, we did know it would have some ups and downs as this team found its identity. Now, 7 games in, I think most of us are pleasantly surprised.

Through the first 5 games, WSU was playing some of the most beautiful basketball It could possibly play. It seemed like the options were endless and everyone has a good argument for a starting spot. Then, once WSU hit some adversity (playing two Top 25 teams and programs will do that for you) some players stepped out while others seemed to shy away.
    ---------
    Some things I noticed were:

ZB needs to work on his FTs. Every time he misses, he misses LONG. At least try shorting up your shot and miss short for once. Just don't keep making the same mistake over and over. His shooting stroke and drives are a bit off at the moment too. I hope he finds his confidence very soon, because he has the ability to be a big part of this team's success.

Frankamp, and Landry have been so streaky on this young season. I just hope they settle in and find some consistency. WSU need both of them to play majors role this season, as it lead to the Shox to being either a good team or a great. They are simply too important and too skilled to continue this steaky play. I expect that to level off very soon.

Shaq is a physical specimen, but he sometimes looks like the Hulk out there; brute strength but no mental awareness. He has the potential and ability to dominate the MVC, but not if he is only playing 5 minutes a half. He may need to start coming off the bench for awhile, until he can get his fouls in check.

Dashion reminds me of Knight and Washpun from ISUr and UNI respectively; quick, decisive, with the ability to drive and shoot. He will probably find himself starting before too long if he keeps it up. We've had tremendous success with JUCO (and transfer) PGs and DK looks to just keep that streak going.

Willis and Nurger have been solid down low and look to have earn some significant playing time going forward. Willis just has to keep his head on straight and Ranuo has to keep those pistols holstered! Nurger also needs to improve on catching the ball in the post. Perhaps it's hard to catch the ball when your also holding those pistols! Willis is use to being the guy, so it's nice to see him look to attack the basket. He just needs to make sure he works hard on defense.

MM is special and I understand wanting to keep him grounded with all the media hype he is getting, but you can't keep him off the floor for very long. He just makes stuff happen. I expect the James Harden 6th Man role to be stripped sooner rather then later.

I hope what is being said about AR is true and he can still play a big role this season. The kid is special. He just sees the game in a way most don't or just can't. He truly does look like a Pistol Pete.

RK is a wonderful athlete and rebounder, but he continues to look like a role player and not a starter. Granted, an important and needed role player. He will contribute in a big way at some point this season, but I think it will be from the bench rather than in the starting lineup.
    --------
    If I was picking the starting line up for next game. It would look like this
    PG - Smith
    SG - Shamet
    SF - McDuffie
    PF - Willis
    C - Nurger

First Three Off - Frankamp, Shaq, Reaves (assuming health)
    Situational/Role Players - Brown, Kelly

(Granted. I don't make $3M nor am I the winningest coach in Shocker history, but that's my Monday Morning QB opinion.)
    ----------
    All this being said, even though The Shox had some poor stretchs, they were a few bad stats away from winning, or being in the prime position for winning, both games:
    - If the Shox shoot even close to what they normally average from the FT line, then they are right in it and it's a whole different ball game.
    - If WSU just made two more 3s against MSU, they would have won and still shot a poor percentage, but won the game by 1 (CF won't go 0-4 very often)

If either of those things happened, we would all have a completely different mindset and attitude about this week.
    ---------
    In conclusion, it's still VERY early in this season and it looks to have the potential to be a VERY exciting one. I very much look forward to see how this team and the individual players continue to improve and develop. I very much expect this team to be in position to make a run come March.

If you stuck around for this long, thank you for you time and enjoy the rest of your Thanksgiving weekend.

Go SHOX!
    The Assman

Also, it was nice for Dan Dakich to give me a shoutout on the broadcast today, for keeping him honest! haha

#ThePowerOfShockerNet
    The Assman

Comment

If Frankamp gets the credit for the offense running so smoothly in the first several games, then he also gets the credit for the offense absolutely dying in the last two. I don't agree with giving him the credit for the early offensvie explosiveness or blaming him for the dismal results in the last two games.

Frankamp is good at bringing the ball up[ the court and then making a safe pass to someone else who tries to make a move to break down the defense. I just haven't seen Frankamp do anything to disrupt a defense. Smith can move with the ball to force a second defender to move to cover him, which pulls a defender out of position and (often) opens a passing lane.

We have a team full of streaky shooters. So far, we don't seem to have many consistent shooters.

3-pt. shooters @ 40% or more

Nurger - 5/8 - 62.5%
      Reaves - 9/18 - 50%
      Smith - 8/17 - 47.1%

In a 3-pt shooting contest, Frankamp can hit better than 90% of his shots. By the time Valley play rolls around, opponents won't defend him. They'll let him shoot 3's. His 33% from 3 isn't going to demand close coverage. Don't need to play off of him to protect against drives to the hoop. He hasn't shown that this year.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I would probably start this way next game. 1.CF but Smith gets some more of his overall minutes. 2. Shamet 3. MM 4. Willis 5. Shaq

When Austin returns, I wish he would play at least 15-20 minutes a game, maybe more. Even though I have Willis down to start, Kelly has rebounded well enough to still get plenty of minutes. Brown was off today but will be on more than not i think. Rauno is becoming more consistent which is nice to see. 10 solid players and lots of talent on games to follow.

Caution!!! I have never made one thin dime coaching so these ideas and opinions come straight from my rocking chair.
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
          Also, it was nice for Dan Dakich to give me a shoutout on the broadcast today, for keeping him honest! haha

#ThePowerOfShockerNet
          Haha that was funny. He honestly had a lot of positive things to say about us, but he's kind of a blowhard regardless.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
            Haha that was funny. He honestly had a lot of positive things to say about us, but he's kind of a blowhard regardless.
            HOOP SCOOP

Comment

Losing 2 games was not good, but it's not gonna kill us either, as long as we take care of business going forward. Our young guys and jucos got a first hand lesson on how you have to play against the big boys. We also got to see who's ready for prime time and who's not. I expect 3G to shake things up. I would love to see him implement a vintage Kentucky style press for a full game. We have the athletes and depth to pull it off. It will be interesting to see what he rolls out next game.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                Frankamp is good at bringing the ball up[ the court and then making a safe pass to someone else who tries to make a move to break down the defense. I just haven't seen Frankamp do anything to disrupt a defense.
                This. I am a Frankamp fan, but he's more of a distributer than a penetrate and dish point. I am surprised by his lack of shooting touch in games. I keep believing he'll get back in the groove, as most deep shooters tend to be streaky. But his touch is starting to slide away from the "streak" excuse.

Comment

Its been a year. Thinkin what you see is what you gonna get.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Losing 2 games was not good, but it's not gonna kill us either, as long as we take care of business going forward. Our young guys and jucos got a first hand lesson on how you have to play against the big boys. We also got to see who's ready for prime time and who's not. I expect 3G to shake things up. I would love to see him implement a vintage Kentucky style press for a full game. We have the athletes and depth to pull it off. It will be interesting to see what he rolls out next game.
                    To be generous, the Shockers went 2-4 in the last two games. I suppose it is better than 0-4.
                    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Between passes thrown out of bounds, air balls, and dribbles off of the foot, I had visions (bad) of that other Longhorn great of yore: Carl Lemons!!!

Comment

Last season Fred had a 3-1 assist/TO stat, shot 43% from the field and
                        .357 from beyond the arc. CF currently has a 5-1 assist to turnovers and
                        shooting 37% overall and 33% threes. Not a very big difference. Bottom
                        line is CF is playing steady, under control and will, I say WILL, shoot better
                        as the season progresses. Anybody out there doubt that? The glaring
                        problem in our two losses was with our starting front court and I mean all
                        three of them. They not only played poorly but they didn't play angry at
                        all. Listless I'd say. Starting ZB over MM makes no sense to me and if DW
                        starts to play a little defense he would start over RK in a heart beat.
                        Thankfully, RN has played well on BOTH ends of the court. The pieces are
                        all there for this team and I am very optimistic but a certain three guys have
                        to step it up and not just against the cup cakes. Love our four guards and
                        the potential of the three front court back ups to propel this team to a higher
                        level by the end of the season.

Comment

Bur CF has Zero on-ball defense.
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                            Bur CF has Zero on-ball defense.
                            Interesting since our defense overall is so good and most of the open shots being made are against our small forwards, power forwards, and centers.

I

Comment

I would start Smith, Willis and McDuffie the next game.

Comment

Working...
                              X