2018 Charleston Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pogo View Post
    Charleston is a Great City. Historic and very beautiful. Great restaurants and lots of sight seeing available. Fort Sumter is a great spot. Abner Doubleday fired the first shot in defense of the fort. The Parks Service tour guides used to tell people he was the one who invented modern baseball but that seems to now be a myth. The late Pat Conroy who I feel is a great southern author and is one of our coaches favorite authors as well was a resident of Charleston and a graduate of the Citadel. A book that HCGM likes is "My Losing Season" written by Pat Conroy when he was a point guard at the Citadel. I will enjoy going back to that great city and watching our Shocks.
    SOOOOOO many good reasons to go, but an obscure good one IS Pat Conroy...plus my wife LOVES the town!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...116154233.html

Seems pretty clear this was done with Coach Marshall in mind and completed by the AD that continues to do good things for our program, Darron Boatright. Well done (again) sir.
      I had wondered for a couple of years if a trip to Charleston was on the horizon for that exact reason.

Off topic, Doc...have you seen my text messages?
      78-65

Comment

I like this trip. So long as they remember to get Marshall back on the plane.

Comment

Kind of unrelated, but if you folks haven't had enough of the beach tournaments with Hawaii and the Bahamas, there's a new tournament starting in the Cayman Islands next year. Cincinnati, Iowa, Wyoming and UAB are the teams announced so far. Possible 2019 destination! http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/10/28/

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
            SOOOOOO many good reasons to go, but an obscure good one IS Pat Conroy...plus my wife LOVES the town!!!
            Pat Conroy obscure, The Great Santini was mandatory reading in Naval Flight school. But only for us few and proud. :)

Comment

This tournament starts up tomorrow (Temple is a participant this year). Next year's field should be announced in the days or hours following the championship game on Sunday. College of Charleston will not be in the field as they can only participate once every four years (they were in the tournament last season).

Comment

Not a field that is going to blow you away, but pretty solid for the Charleston Classic. Purdue has been consistently good. Alabama and Virginia Tech are on the rise. Davidson has solidly been in the Top 100. http://goshockers.com/news/2017/11/1...announced.aspx

Comment

2018 Charleston Classic.jpg

Comment

Not exciting, but not terrible either.

Hopefully, we'll start to be higher in the rotation for the Maui's and Battle 4 Atlantis' of the world. I am always up for Orlando as well and would love to do one in NYC too.
                    The Assman

Comment

If I ruled the world...which I most certainly don't...here's the set-up that I would have for early-season tournaments over a five-year period...

-2 BIG-TIME tropical destinations like Maui, Atlantis, Cancun, etc. 3G loves the beach, and these tournaments certainly help in recruiting. These are bucket list trips for Shocker Nation.

-2 mainland destination like Orlando, Vegas, Charleston, Los Angeles (whatever the 76 Classic is now called), South Padre, New York. These are still some great locations...some of them still of the tropical/warm weather variety, but they are at least reasonable enough that a sizable chunk of fans could attend. I have seen that Boatright isn't fond of Vegas trips, believing that telling the student-athletes to not gamble and then taking them to a gambling mecca sends a bad message.

-Other year, we go to CBE Hall of Fame Classic in KC. I know that KC is not a tropical destination or even a marquee destination. I know that we have kinda been screwed with scheduling in this event. However, it is nice to offer such an easy trip for Shocker fans to attend.

The most important thing is appealing to the coaches and student-athletes, so if my idea doesn't happen, I get it. However, it is appreciated when the normal fan like me can get a bone thrown my way every so often. I will likely NEVER attend Maui or Atlantis. I MIGHT have a shot at going to a mainland site but certainly not close to every time. I was fortunate enough to attend KC in 2013 and would have gone the first time in 2009 if I hadn't been hit with H1N1 the week before (ugh...sickest I have ever been...). I hope to have that same opportunity every now and then.
                      78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                        If I ruled the world...which I most certainly don't...here's the set-up that I would have for early-season tournaments over a five-year period...

-2 BIG-TIME tropical destinations like Maui, Atlantis, Cancun, etc. 3G loves the beach, and these tournaments certainly help in recruiting. These are bucket list trips for Shocker Nation.

-2 mainland destination like Orlando, Vegas, Charleston, Los Angeles (whatever the 76 Classic is now called), South Padre, New York. These are still some great locations...some of them still of the tropical/warm weather variety, but they are at least reasonable enough that a sizable chunk of fans could attend. I have seen that Boatright isn't fond of Vegas trips, believing that telling the student-athletes to not gamble and then taking them to a gambling mecca sends a bad message.

-Other year, we go to CBE Hall of Fame Classic in KC. I know that KC is not a tropical destination or even a marquee destination. I know that we have kinda been screwed with scheduling in this event. However, it is nice to offer such an easy trip for Shocker fans to attend.

The most important thing is appealing to the coaches and student-athletes, so if my idea doesn't happen, I get it. However, it is appreciated when the normal fan like me can get a bone thrown my way every so often. I will likely NEVER attend Maui or Atlantis. I MIGHT have a shot at going to a mainland site but certainly not close to every time. I was fortunate enough to attend KC in 2013 and would have gone the first time in 2009 if I hadn't been hit with H1N1 the week before (ugh...sickest I have ever been...). I hope to have that same opportunity every now and then.
                        Does San Antonio count as a nice place to go? :)
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• WuShock16
                          WuShock16 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I've heard that is a great place to go in April, particularly in 2018.

• WSUwatcher
                          WSUwatcher commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I've been to San Antonio in March, and it was a very nice place to go at that time of year -- April would almost certainly be just as nice, especially given the right venue. Good wildflowers if you drive down, too. Start looking once you get south of Ft. Worth. On the other hand, I've never been to Charleston.

Indeed it is...indeed it is. ;)
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Just out of curiosity, I checked out the status of the teams in our early-season tournament next season. Granted, things change from year to year, so I don't know about next year's outlook for other squads. However, just based solely on this year, this is actually a pretty decent field. Not insanely difficult for our young squad, but not too much hot garbage either...or should I say "Hot, Hot, Hot" garbage? :cowbell:

Team (RPI/KenPom)
                          Purdue (14/5)
                          Wichita State (17/18)
                          Alabama (30/41)
                          Virginia Tech (59/42)
                          Northeastern (78/112)
                          Davidson (100/52)
                          Ball State (102/166)
                          Appalachian State (252/223)
                          78-65

Comment

Working...