No announcement yet.

Tulsa game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really liked the line up with Austin and Conner in at the same time. Conner didn't shoot much tonight but with the threat there he and Austin really forced Tulsa to extend the defense and that opened things up inside.
    Kick 'em square in the grapes! (that can be very painful)

Comment

• A couple of tid bits from the post game. "First game it was the post players that was contributing, the second game its was the guards and now this game it is the forwards". New moniker for Mr. Willis as per HCGM "Machine Gun Willis" because if he gets his hands on it its going up towards the basket.

Comment

• this guy just called in to the radio show and suggested reaves and shamet as the starters at guards. hmm..

what is this teams identity? defense and then.. depth? what about the frontline? shaq is screwed with these new rules, sadly.

Comment

• Originally posted by double dribble View Post
          I really liked the line up with Austin and Conner in at the same time. Conner didn't shoot much tonight but with the threat there he and Austin really forced Tulsa to extend the defense and that opened things up inside.
          Conner is shooting 33.3% from the field and 27.3% from 3. How long is anybody going to guard him? Catch and shoot doesn't seem to be something that works for Frankamp. His best shooting seems to be off the dribble.

Frankamp is shooting 100% from the FT line (2/2). Shamet is shooting 90% from the line (9/10). That's because Shamet drives to the hoop and Frankamp doesn't seem to drive to the hoop. Shamet's 3-pt shooting is worse than Frankamp's.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Identity is 80 plus points per game is what it is!!! Too many weapons right now. Could be that way all season. Keep up with the awesome Shocker defense we've seen under Marshall all these years and this team is GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Time to nitpick.
              Shaq has got to find a way to stay on the floor. There will come a time where we need him. Hasn't missed a shot this year but has taken too few.
              Zach, I know Conner wasn't hot tonight but when you see him camped on the 3 point line with nobody within 15 feet, throw him the ball.
              Daishon, lanes to the basket are meant to be driven. Use that speed.
              Darral, as I said earlier, you can't stick your forearm in guys throats and get away with it for long.
              All of you need to finish better. Difference of 10 points tonight easy.
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                Best Sports Clip musical chairs in ages
                The one dude looked like he seriously wanted to punch bricks walking out to the tunnel. I was lmfao.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by double dribble View Post
                  I really liked the line up with Austin and Conner in at the same time. Conner didn't shoot much tonight but with the threat there he and Austin really forced Tulsa to extend the defense and that opened things up inside.
                  Good to hear from you DD. It reminds me of many moons ago with your 82-78 predictions with Duke T. coming off the bench to score 22. I think you and I liked him way more than Turgeon the Surgeon.
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                    Identity is 80 plus points per game is what it is!!! Too many weapons right now. Could be that way all season. Keep up with the awesome Shocker defense we've seen under Marshall all these years and this team is GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!
                    You and I was posting on here way back when on a work night at 2-a.m. before the roosters were crowing dreaming about the days we would have teams like Marshall has brought in here AZ. Back then, wins were not so easy to come by.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                      Time to nitpick.
                      Shaq has got to find a way to stay on the floor. There will come a time where we need him. Hasn't missed a shot this year but has taken too few.
                      Zach, I know Conner wasn't hot tonight but when you see him camped on the 3 point line with nobody within 15 feet, throw him the ball.
                      Daishon, lanes to the basket are meant to be driven. Use that speed.
                      Darral, as I said earlier, you can't stick your forearm in guys throats and get away with it for long.
                      All of you need to finish better. Difference of 10 points tonight easy.
                      Frankamp has shown little ability to hit a 3 in a catch and shoot situation. He's decent at creating space off the bounce to drain a 3. That's the way he became the City League's leading scorer of all time and how he got to be a top-50 HS player.

He really hasn't shown much ability to hit 3's when he's fairly open when receiving a pass on the perimeter. He seems to hang out way deep, so when he gets a lot of passes, he's too deep for a decent shot. Maybe it's the way he's coached, but Conner seems to set himself up to be the safe outlet, rather than the scoring threat.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Our four guards shot very badly from 3 tonight. They were 0-11. It's a good thing that forward Zach Brown shot well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                          Frankamp has shown little ability to hit a 3 in a catch and shoot situation. He's decent at creating space off the bounce to drain a 3. That's the way he became the City League's leading scorer of all time and how he got to be a top-50 HS player.

He really hasn't shown much ability to hit 3's when he's fairly open when receiving a pass on the perimeter. He seems to hang out way deep, so when he gets a lot of passes, he's too deep for a decent shot. Maybe it's the way he's coached, but Conner seems to set himself up to be the safe outlet, rather than the scoring threat.
                          Teams keep close to CF on D. However, I'm looking forward to him finding 7-11 open smart shots in the confines of our offense sooner than later.

Comment

• 1. Reaves is the total package. Just amazing that he was playing high school ball 7 months ago.
                            2. Willis is quickly becoming really likable. He has midrange game and he's insanely quick under the basket. He makes Shaq look like he's going in slow motion.
                            3. Speaking of Shaq, he will eat up the Valley and a lot of other teams we play. I think some officials are picking at him just because he's such a wall. The fouling needs to be remedied. Quickly.
                            4. And speaking of officiating, it still sucks. It sucked worse than last game. College basketball once again trying to tweak a product that's not broken. Stop trying to make the game like the NBA. Nobody wants to watch the NBA. Let the players PLAY. Damn. Oh, and the Austin Reaves non-charge call was about as bad as they come.
                            5. We definitely turn the ball over more than the last few years. I expect that with the youth and inexperience. One of these days it's gonna come back and bite us. But when we're clobbering people so badly, it's really not a major concern.
                            6. #0 on Tulsa is a straight-up THUG.
                            7. 3 straight blowouts with a 4th coming. Excitement is starting to flow. Let's hope this trend continues as we head towards the Bahamas. That's when the real barometer will be met.

I am more impressed each and every game.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I think Shaq is physically capable of figuring how to stay in games. Whether or not he can bring the mental focus needed to bear is another question. He has been very efficient when he has been on the floor.

I thought Landry was rushing his perimeter shots tonight. Not sure why. Conner's shooting is kind of a mystery. No doubt he is a deadeye during shooting drills and at the high school level. So far that isn't translating to performing under the bright D-1 lights. It still may come but the sands are running through the hourglass. I do think Conner's floor game and defense have improved a lot at WSU. I still have hopes the deadeye legend will show up consistently one of these days but not willing to bet the bank on it. Landry, Conner, Daishon and CJ combined to shoot 0-14 from the field. I doubt we see that again this year.

Zach really shot the ball well tonight. Gathered himself and shot it with great confidence and in nice rhythm. Players named Zach with the last initial B were 4 - 5 from long distance tonight. The rest of the team was 2 for 17 (11.8%). Fortunately, Tulsa was no better overall and the Shocks did enough other good things to win going away. Outrebounding Tulsa 52-30 among those other things as was the 20-26 performance from the line.

If there was any question about who the best passer on this team was before tonight I think there is little doubt about that now IMHO. Austin simply has an instinctive and natural feel for the game.

Darral is coming on but his defense needs work and I thought our big men in general were a little lax in securing possession of the ball on numerous occasions.

Funniest moment of the night was when Rauno set up for the 3 point attempt at the top of the key. You could hear a collective groan from the crowd followed by wild cheering a couple seconds later when he knocked it down.

So Shaq is limited to 10 minutes, we get an 0-14 performance from Landry, Conner, Daishon and CJ, against our long-time rival Tulsa and we win by 27. This new math is just really hard to figure out.

What will this team be like if and when it is hitting on all cylinders?
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 16, 2016, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                                and how..
                                Great defense, and man is our bench deep. Over 50 points from the bench. Mcduffie and Willis had big nights. Shaq with 8 points, perfect from the floor. He just needs to stay out of foul trouble. Reeves is going to be a special player, just needs 20 lbs of muscle. Zach Brown had a nice night hitting a few 3's and taking it to the rim. For us to win going away and not having any production from our guards shows just how deep this team is. Also Nurger is showing us how much he's improved and will be an important part of our front line rotation.

Comment

Working...
                                X