Daishon Smith is a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daishon Smith is a Shocker!

PLAYER OF THE GAME--Postgame Comments: Daishon Smith vs. Long Beach State (Nov. 13, 2016

Another performance like that and he's officially "The Microwave."

Comment

The term "high risk recruit" is used to describe a player who could have significant contributions on the court, but with issues that may be negative for the team or the school.

Marshall seems to overwhelmingly get "low risk recruits" who have significant contributions on the court. These guys really interview well. No prima donnas, no big egos, they seem to all understand it's a team game. In the vast majority of the interviews the players respond directly to the question and explain their answers clearly.

Blow somebody out by 37 and Smith interviews like he's been there before.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

"College Basketball Highlights: Daishon Smith of Wichita State Posterizes Oklahoma" - Hero Sports

by Steve Wright
        Dec 12, 2016

"Gregg Marshall has created quite the college basketball program in south central Kansas. The Wichita State Shockers of the Missouri Valley Conference graduated a couple of school legends in guard Ron Baker and Fred Van Vleet after last season, but Marshall and the Shockers seem to have reloaded and are poised once against for a conference title run and to make some noise in March.

This year though the noise started a little earlier after this stunning posterization of an Oklahoma defender when the Sooners met the Shockers in non-conference play in Oklahoma City.

On of Marshall's greatest assets is his ability to recruit athletic players no matter where he is coaching. At Winthrop, Marshall was able to put together a 194-83 record while making March Madness in seven of his nine seasons as head coach. This success has continued at Wichita State, where Marshall has made the postseason in some form in eight of his nine years, and parlayed one of those trips into a NCAA Final Four appearance at the end of the 2012-13 season.

It also means that Marshall is able to recruit the likes of Daishon Smith to Wichita and unleash him on Big 12 schools like Oklahoma. In this clip, Smith sizes up the defense before fully committing to driving the lane. As he turns the corner towards the basket any help defense is a step slow on the cover and Smith rises high over a defender to give a good, old fashioned posterization. The noise in the arena after the dunk will tell you just how well Wichita State fans travel as they go crazy at the sight of Smith throwing the ball home."

Comment

The starting PG spot was Frankamp's to lose in November. In December it looks like that's no longer the case.

Smith can drain a 3 if a defender plays him loose (13/26 = 50%). He's shown that if you play him tight, he can drive and finish. He's leading the team in assists. To my way of thinking, that's the definition of a PG.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            The starting PG spot was Frankamp's to lose in November. In December it looks like that's no longer the case.

Smith can drain a 3 if a defender plays him loose (13/26 = 50%). He's shown that if you play him tight, he can drive and finish. He's leading the team in assists. To my way of thinking, that's the definition of a PG.
            I mostly agree with this, though I would say that DS has taken the job more than CF has lost it.

Comment

Kudos to Daishon. He gives us some needed quickness. Only
              time will tell if he can sustain his outside shooting, low turnovers,
              and assists. Going forward I suspect he will draw more attention
              from our opponents - something CF has from the get go. Hope he
              handles it well and continues his outstanding play. Love his
              defense ! CF has played well but so far DS has played better and
              has earned his PT.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                Kudos to Daishon. He gives us some needed quickness. Only
                time will tell if he can sustain his outside shooting, low turnovers,
                and assists. Going forward I suspect he will draw more attention
                from our opponents - something CF has from the get go. Hope he
                handles it well and continues his outstanding play. Love his
                defense ! CF has played well but so far DS has played better and
                has earned his PT.
                Between Smith, Frankamp, and Reaves I feel really good about the PG situation.

Comment

Absolutely. Can't decide whether I like AR more at point or the wing.
                  He plays both so well.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                    "College Basketball Highlights: Daishon Smith of Wichita State Posterizes Oklahoma" - Hero Sports

by Steve Wright
                    Dec 12, 2016

"Gregg Marshall has created quite the college basketball program in south central Kansas. The Wichita State Shockers of the Missouri Valley Conference graduated a couple of school legends in guard Ron Baker and Fred Van Vleet after last season, but Marshall and the Shockers seem to have reloaded and are poised once against for a conference title run and to make some noise in March.

This year though the noise started a little earlier after this stunning posterization of an Oklahoma defender when the Sooners met the Shockers in non-conference play in Oklahoma City.

On of Marshall's greatest assets is his ability to recruit athletic players no matter where he is coaching. At Winthrop, Marshall was able to put together a 194-83 record while making March Madness in seven of his nine seasons as head coach. This success has continued at Wichita State, where Marshall has made the postseason in some form in eight of his nine years, and parlayed one of those trips into a NCAA Final Four appearance at the end of the 2012-13 season.

It also means that Marshall is able to recruit the likes of Daishon Smith to Wichita and unleash him on Big 12 schools like Oklahoma. In this clip, Smith sizes up the defense before fully committing to driving the lane. As he turns the corner towards the basket any help defense is a step slow on the cover and Smith rises high over a defender to give a good, old fashioned posterization. The noise in the arena after the dunk will tell you just how well Wichita State fans travel as they go crazy at the sight of Smith throwing the ball home."

One random thought today. 1 Year ago Daishon was playing at a community college in Florida. Fast Forward a year and he's putting a player on poster in an NBA Arena and securing a win over a Big 12 opponent while on national TV. Has to be a bit surreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                      One random thought today. 1 Year ago Daishon was playing at a community college in Florida. Fast Forward a year and he's putting a player on poster in an NBA Arena and securing a win over a Big 12 opponent while on national TV. Has to be a bit surreal.
                      Throw in an SC Top 10 feature for a little added bonus.

Smith went from being seen by a couple hundred people to a couple million people. That's the stuff guys coming into D1 ball dream of.

Comment

It's also the kind of thing that gives HUGE amounts of exposure to the WSU program as a whole, quite possibly adding to the program's ability to continue to recruit next level talent.
                        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                          Absolutely. Can't decide whether I like AR more at point or the wing.
                          He plays both so well.
                          Gotta love versatility. Reaves can move from point to SG (surely the SF is possible if he hasn't already), Frankamp can play either guard spot and so can Shamet. I think I heard coach say Daishon really only knew the PG right now but surely he is capable of playing both as well.

A lot to like about this team.

Comment

For those of you who don't know how to correctly pronounce Daishon - it's MR. SMITH
                            For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                            - said no one ever...

Comment

Working...
                            X