Cuonzo Martin new Missouri St. Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuonzo Martin new Missouri St. Head Coach

Martin named head coach today in Springfield.

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

No surprise and a very good hire by SWOMO
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I do find it kinda funny in a david lynch sorta way how they talk about the success of the program in that it's "the 27th winningest NCAA Division I program in America" when Barry was there for nine seasons and they've only been D-I for something like 26 years. Since he's filling the shoes of a guy who is responsible for almost 35% of the program’s D-I history I hope he can meet the expectations of the boosters and fanbase. Bottom line this is a good get for the Bear's and the Valley.

Go Shocks!!!!
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

wait, i thought all the mostate posters were going on about how they would be offering 5-700 thousand?

Comment

Good thing SMS finally got a website so they could announce this.
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

Martin becomes the 16th head coach in the history of Missouri State, the 27th winningest NCAA Division I program in America
            Must be some interesting way they do math down at MSU.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Here are the all-time winningest teams through 2007.

Division I All-Time Winningest Teams

Bradley (1495 wins), Missouri State (1470 wins), Illinois State (1391 wins), and Southern Illinois (1384 wins) all made the top 50. Wichita State (1278 wins) was 99 wins away from the top 50.

Other MVC teams
              Creighton - 1319 wins
              Indiana State - 1305 wins
              Evansville - 1195 wins
              Northern Iowa - 1068 wins
              Drake - 1059 wins

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
                Here are the all-time winningest teams through 2007.

Division I All-Time Winningest Teams

Bradley (1495 wins), Missouri State (1470 wins), Illinois State (1391 wins), and Southern Illinois (1384 wins) all made the top 50. Wichita State (1278 wins) was 99 wins away from the top 50.

Other MVC teams
                Creighton - 1319 wins
                Indiana State - 1305 wins
                Evansville - 1195 wins
                Northern Iowa - 1068 wins
                Drake - 1059 wins
                This list is suspect at best.

Clearly they are counting NAIA, or NCAA Div II wins for every team but Bradley, Drake, WSU and Creighton.

Those four schools are the only MVC teams that have been Division I since there was a Division I, beginning in 1945 or 46.

Wins while a not a Div 1 school shouldn't be counted.

I am ok with counting ABA records with the NBA and AFL with the NFL, but those non-Div 1 wins are bogus.

Comment

I think that comes out to about 56 wins per year. Simply amazing.

From an article dated March 11, 1987:
                  Until five years ago(1982), the Bears of Southwest Missouri State University played Division II basketball in a league that included Southeast Missouri, Northeast Missouri, Northwest Missouri and, of course, Central Missouri.

''It was a very good league, by the way,'' said Charlie Spoonhour, the coach who came along after the Bears moved up to Division I. ''It's very, very good basketball.''

Surrounded by Southeast, Northeast, Northwest and Central, the Southwest program faced a problem of direction and identity. ''When we went Division I, a lot of people in the state didn't know it,'' Spoonhour said. ''I'm not talking about average people. Coaches, people who are good friends of mine, didn't know.''

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerEngr
                    wait, i thought all the mostate posters were going on about how they would be offering 5-700 thousand?
                    The numbers that were being tossed around were in the 400-600K range. Since they went with an assistant, they probably want him to prove himself before giving him that kind of jack.

There is also a watchdog group that caused some trouble a few years ago when Alford was here demanding that the men's and womens coach received equal salary. That may have something to do with his base being low and "the missouri foundation" coughing up the rest.

:wsu_posters:

Comment

Originally posted by moshock
                      Originally posted by ShockerEngr
                      The numbers that were being tossed around were in the 400-600K range. Since they went with an assistant, they probably want him to prove himself before giving him that kind of jack.

There is also a watchdog group that caused some trouble a few years ago when Alford was here demanding that the men's and womens coach received equal salary. That may have something to do with his base being low and "the missouri foundation" coughing up the rest.

For the coach they hired, i think the pay is about right starting out. And i also remember all the 'title IX' bs. I also think they have a good hire.

That said...all year I've hear the swomo crowd go on and on about the money they could offer for a big name coach.

Comment

This is the "show me" state so I guess they want some production first.

Comment

LMAO sorry SWMO but 300k total compensation? If he's successful he'll be there 2 years, if not you're stuck with him for another nine years.

Comment

If he wins, he'll be saying "SHOW ME THE MONEY"

Comment

Wow, he was born and raised in East St. Louis and this is all he gets? 300k?

Comment

Working...
                              X