2016-17 All Sports Trophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016-17 All Sports Trophy

The Shocks will be going for their 5th consecutive MVC All Sports Trophy this year. It would also be their 11th All Sports Trophy in the past 14 years.

Thought I would take a quick early look at how the Shocks might fare this year.

Only 3 sports for the Shocks in the Fall. Volleyball and Men's and Women's Cross Country. Men's and Women's Soccer is also contested in the fall.

Volleyball is the favorite to repeat as Valley Champions although the top half of the Valley looks to be very competitive. The Shocks did pick up a big road win over MSU last weekend and have another big road match at UNI this Saturday.

The Shocker Men's XC team has been picked 2nd in the pre-season poll with Bradley the unanimous pick to win the Men's side. Illinois State men's team is close behind the Shocks in the pre-season voting. The Shocker Women's XC team is picked to win the Valley this year as they received 6 first place votes, followed by Bradley with 3 votes and Illinois State with 1.

The Shocker Men's team have not won a Valley XC Championship since 1987. The Shocker women also won in 1987 but, unlike the men, they have won 10 championships since then. However, the Shocker women last brought home the Valley title in 2010.

In any case, if the Shocks can live up to their pre-season billings it will be a very good fall but this is far from a slam dunk.

The winter season will bring us basketball and indoor track & field.

Men's Basketball: Shocks should be competing for the top spot once again. Whether they will be picked to win it remains to be seen as some voters may believe the loss of Fred and Ron will be too much to totally overcome.

Women's Basketball: The Shocks weakest sport last year with a 7th place finish. We new it would be rebuilding year but I was thinking they could still finish 5th. It didn't happen. However, a lot of the teams ahead of them will be facing rebuilding this year so that could change drastically. Drake should and will most likely be the pre-season favorite this year. I expect the Shocks to improve significantly on their 7th place from a year ago. A top 3 finish is certainly possible IMHO. Might even be in the race for the Valley title this year. Hopefully, I am not being overly optimistic.

Indoor Track & Field: The Shocker men and women track teams finished 1st and 2nd, respectively, at the Valley Indoor Championships last year. I see no reason the Shocks can't match that performance again this year. Of course with track & field injuries can play a very key role. So I wish the Shocks good health throughout the upcoming XC and T&F seasons.

In terms of the number of championships contested the season is back-end loaded especially for the Shocks who compete in 8 of their 15 Valley championships in the Spring.

Baseball: Finished 5th last year. Who knows what this year will bring. New pitching coach in the fold for the 1st time in 38 years. Some key returners had some solid summer league perfromances with Alec Bohm chief among them. The key though will be the pitching. The Shocks must make significant strides on lowering the team ERA.

Softball: The Shocks edged out Drake for the Valley title last season. However, they lost very good players in Cacy Williams ( a 2-time Valley POY and the Shocks career HR and RBI leader in her 3 seasons), Brittany Fortner (3-Time 1st Team All-Conference and Valley career leader in doubles) and Liz Broyles (1st Team All-Valley her senior year). Like baseball pitching is key. The Shocks have their top 2 pitchers returning in Katie Malone and Jenni Brooks. However, Katie has some back issues and Jenni and surgery for compartment syndrome in her right forearm and apparently they are also looking at the possibility of other issues. My understanding is Jenni will not pitch this fall. Not sure about Katie. Ashlynne Neil graduated and Kelsey Sterneker has left the program. Right now, as I understand it, the Shocks have Fr. LHP Bailey Klitzke out of Apache Junction, Arizona as their only healthy pitcher at this point. Predicting where the Shocks will land in this year's softball race is very difficult.

Outdoor Track & Field: Shockers won both the men's and women's titles last season and no reason to believe they won't be serous contenders again this year.

Golf: The Shocker women won their 3rd straight Valley championship last year but the men finished 2nd to SIU after being picked as the pre-meet favorite. I am not real sure about the gold teams but I am a little bit suspect of our depth on both teams and they could fall back a bit but I don't think they will see a precipitous decline, if any.

Tennis: No reason to believe the Shocker women won't continue their total domination of Valley women's tennis. The Lady Shocks have won 79 consecutive Valley dual matches. In recent years the Shocks and Drake have usually been at the top of the Valley when the dust clears. This year will probably be no exception and the two teams don't particularly like each other. The Shocks did graduate two of their mainstays in Tin Ostojic (who was injured at the end of last year) and Sergio de Vilchez. But I think they will solid again this year. The Shocker men do have a new, relatively young head coach in Danny Bryan.

Looks to me like the Shocks will be the odds-on favorite to bring home another All Sports Trophy. We'll see.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 29, 2016, 06:41 PM.

All the MVC fall sports are in the books for All-Sports Trophy purposes. Those sports (and the number of Valley teams participating) are Volleyball (10), Men's XC (9) Women's XC (10), Men's Soccer (5) and Women's Soccer (7).

The Shockers participate in Volleyball and both Men's & Women's XC.

Standings according to my calculations (with prior year fall scores) are:

16-17 15-16
    1 WSU 2.33 1 2.00
    2 UNI 3.25 9 6.38
    3 ILS 3.88 2 3.25
    4 LOY 4.70 6 5.20
    5 BRD 4.75 3 3.50
    6 INS 4.88 8 5.88
    7 MSU 5.25 4 4.63
    8 SIU 6.33 7 5.33
    9 DRK 6.70 5 4.90
    10 EVN 6.80 10 7.40
    UNI with the biggest improvement by far from last year as they improved in a 4 fall sports they participate in especially women's XC where they went from 7th to 1st.

Shocks had a very solid fall although they may have fallen just a bit below expectations this year. Volleyball was picked 1st but finished 2nd. I think they were hoping for better than 3rd in women's XC as well. Still this is more than a decent start for the Shocks in their pursuit of another All-Sports Trophy.

The Winter Sports are now underway with men's and women's basketball, men's and women's indoor track & field and for the 5 Valley programs who field women's swimming and diving teams.

My prediction is WSU and UNI will remain 1 and 2 after the Winter Sports but it has the potential to tighten up a bit (or not).
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 20, 2016, 11:52 AM.

Comment

All-Sports Trophy standings updated through the 2016-17 Winter season. Winter sports (and the number of Valley teams participating) are Men's Basketball (10), Women's Basketball (10), Men's (8) and Women's (9) Indoor T&F, Women's Swimming & Diving (6).

The Shockers do not participate in Women's Swimming and Diving.

Standings according to my calculations (with prior year end of winter scores) are:

16-17 15-16
      1 WSU 2.21 1 2.50
      2 UNI 3.28 4 4.78
      3 ILS 4.22 2 3.56
      4 SIU 4.31 5 5.20
      5 MSU 4.69 3 4.19
      6 INS 6.44 6 5.31
      7T EVN 6.50 9 6.94
      7T DRK 6.50 7 5.72
      9 BRD 6.79 8 6.71
      10 LOY 7.79 10 7.79

Women's Basketball has been the Shocks' worst finish so far at 5th place. Women's XC was 3rd. The other 5 sports were all 1st or 2nd place finishers.

This could possibly be the Shockers' final Valley All-Sports Competition. If it is the Shockers could put an exclamation point on their run of All-Sports Trophy dominance in recent years by becoming the 1st team in Valley history to put up an All-Sports average under 2.00. If the Shocks can equal their 2016 Spring finishes this year they would finish at 1.97 in the All Sports scoring. That won't be easy as last year the Shocks had 5 Championships, 1 Co-Championship and a 2nd place finish out of 8 Spring sports with only Baseball, with a 5th place tie lagging.

I did some checking but could not find a similar award or competition for the AAC. So I will hopefully be retiring from tracking this stuff sooner than later.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 25, 2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        All-Sports Trophy standings updated through the 2016-17 Winter season. Winter sports (and the number of Valley teams participating) are Men's Basketball (10), Women's Basketball (10), Men's (8) and Women's (9) Indoor T&F, Women's Swimming & Diving (6).

The Shockers do not participate in Women's Swimming and Diving.

Standings according to my calculations (with prior year end of winter scores) are:

16-17 15-16
        1 WSU 2.21 1 2.50
        2 UNI 3.28 4 4.78
        3 ILS 4.22 2 3.56
        4 SIU 4.31 5 5.20
        5 MSU 4.69 3 4.19
        6 INS 6.44 6 5.31
        7T EVN 6.50 9 6.94
        7T DRK 6.50 7 5.72
        9 BRD 6.79 8 6.71
        10 LOY 7.79 10 7.79

Women's Basketball has been the Shocks' worst finish so far at 5th place. Women's XC was 3rd. The other 5 sports were all 1st or 2nd place finishers.

This could possibly be the Shockers' final Valley All-Sports Competition. If it is the Shockers could put an exclamation point on their run of All-Sports Trophy dominance in recent years by becoming the 1st team in Valley history to put up an All-Sports average under 2.00. If the Shocks can equal their 2016 Spring finishes this year they would finish at 1.97 in the All Sports scoring. That won't be easy as last year the Shocks had 5 Championships, 1 Co-Championship and a 2nd place finish out of 8 Spring sports with only Baseball, with a 5th place tie lagging.

I did some checking but could not find a similar award or competition for the AAC. So I will hopefully be retiring from tracking this stuff sooner than later.
        With your experience, I guess you'll just have to devise an informal AAC all sports competition to post here. ;)

Comment

But you do such a great job at keeping the rest of us updated. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
            With your experience, I guess you'll just have to devise an informal AAC all sports competition to post here. ;)
            I enjoy following all the sports so keeping track of these things kinds of forces me to at least pay a little bit attention to the minor sports.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 25, 2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

In order for the Shocks to break the 2.00 barrier in the All Sports Trophy competition they will probably need both the men's and women's track and field teams to win championships and, if that happens, they will need finishes that total no more than 5 from the baseball and softball teams.

Their is a good possibility that the track and field teams will come through if they can stay healthy.

That means to have shot at breaking the 2.00 barrier we probably need a 2nd and a 3rd place finish from baseball and softball. With the baseball teams currently in 7th place and the softball team currently in a tie for 3rd place that seems like a long shot. It would not be impossible for the softball team to finish 2nd and the baseball team 3rd but probably not very likely that both will happen.

Comment

How we doing on this?

Comment

Well we got the T&F sweeps but softball finished 4th and baseball can't win (MSU has swept the conference for the 1st time ever?) and will probably finish 4th or worse. WSU will win, easily, but won't break the 2.00 barrier.

Comment

Breaking the 2.0 barrier would have been nice. But I'll settle for just winning the "trophy"

Comment

I wonder if the mvc will send it cod

Comment

We will have to pick it up in STL on our way to our first road game to Cincy.

Comment

The Shocks will finish with an average of 2.10 to 2.30 depending on where baseball finishes. UNI is done as they don't play baseball and have an average 3.57 which will be good for 2nd place.

Breaking the 2 point barrier would have been awesome but is an extremely high bar to clear.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            I wonder if the mvc will send it cod
                            For budgetary reasons, I've heard they plan on keeping it until next year, and just taking a Sharpie to "2017" and "Wichita State."

Comment

My final unofficial 2016-17 All-Sports Award standings are as follows:

1. WSU 2.23
                              2. UNI 3.57
                              3. SIU 3.969
                              4. ILS 3.971
                              5. MSU 4.57
                              6. INS 5.68
                              7. DRK 6.12
                              8. EVN 6.27
                              9. BRD 6.37
                              10. LOY 6.61

The Shocker Men averaged 2.07 in their 7 sports with baseball's 5th place finish the worst performer. The men had 3 firsts, 1 first place tie, 1 second, 1 third and 1 fifth.

The Shocker Women averaged 2.38 in their 8 sports with basketball's 5th place finish the worst performer. The women had 3 firsts, 2 seconds, 1 third, 1 fourth and 1 fifth.

I'm a bit disappointed that the Shocks were unable to break the 2.0 barrier but an average of 2.23 is excellent.

The Shocks finish off their run in the Valley with 5 consecutive All-Sports Trophies making it 11 out of the past 14 years the Shocks have won this award. Good stuff.

Things will no doubt things will be much tougher in the AAC overall but it is time for a new challenge.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 29, 2017, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X