Interesting College Coach's Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting College Coach's Poll

CBS Sports asked 100 College Coaches the following question. What college coach would you want your son to play for? The responses are in the article below. Tom Izzo got the most votes, followed by Tony Bennett, then Bill Self. Gregg Marshall did get two votes and Ben Jacobson got one.

The Cal comment irritates me. Cal and Self both recruit NBA players. But look what happens when they hit the NBA. UK players are more likely to have the fundamentals to be a starter day one. KU players are lucky to be in the rotation day one.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Wheres Creighton?
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
        Wheres Creighton?
        Only way you'd want your son to go to Creighton is if your name was Greg McDermott. That's the only way that ends well.
        78-65

Comment

The coaches on that list I would definitely not want my son to play for:

Coach K - Everything I have heard indicates he is an awful human being.
          Scott Drew - Can't coach his way out of a paper bag. Seems like a sleazeball.
          Roy Williams - Also a sleazeball, the "dog gone it/aw shucks" attitude is too much when he let stuff go on at UNC.
          Rick Pitino - Bad human being.

And yes, I would absolutely let my son play for Bill Self.

(I also wonder if some coach selected themselves. That would be pretty funny.)
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

That's a pretty strong list in the 2 votes category.
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
              Oh, I like 'BS', but don’t be fooled; there’s plenty of baggage in the claim department… 7997

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Meh...I like (or at least respect) most of the coaches on the list, although there are some I don't. I have to agree with Kel on who I wouldn't want my kid to play for, and while I'd probably allow my son to play for BS, I'd certainly hope for him to choose a different option.
                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                  The coaches on that list I would definitely not want my son to play for:

Coach K - Everything I have heard indicates he is an awful human being.
                  Scott Drew - Can't coach his way out of a paper bag. Seems like a sleazeball.
                  Roy Williams - Also a sleazeball, the "dog gone it/aw shucks" attitude is too much when he let stuff go on at UNC.
                  Rick Pitino - Bad human being.

(I also wonder if some coach selected themselves. That would be pretty funny.)
                  Where did you hear Coach K was an awful human being? I've always heard the opposite. As a testament to that, former players are very loyal and speak highly of him and not just as a coach but someone who has helped them in life long after they're done playing. I've always considered that a good indicator of what kind of person a coach really is. Also after playing for Coach K in the Olympics, Kevin Durant has said he now wishes he would have gone to Duke instead of Texas. I'm sure Rick Barnes loved reading that.

Comment

Originally posted by washedup View Post
                    Where did you hear Coach K was an awful human being? I've always heard the opposite. As a testament to that, former players are very loyal and speak highly of him and not just as a coach but someone who has helped them in life long after they're done playing. I've always considered that a good indicator of what kind of person a coach really is. Also after playing for Coach K in the Olympics, Kevin Durant has said he now wishes he would have gone to Duke instead of Texas. I'm sure Rick Barnes loved reading that.

That's what I've heard (and seen) as well.

I've always admired Duke for the way they do things, including the way they've drawn the ire of Chicken fans by beating their behinds.

Comment

Originally posted by washedup View Post
                      ...former players are very loyal and speak highly of him and not just as a coach but someone who has helped them in life long after they're done playing. I've always considered that a good indicator of what kind of person a coach really is. .
                      Unfortunately, the same can be said about Bobby Knight. Probably one of the brightest BB minds out there, but I'd never let my son play for Knight.

Comment

Excerpted from Duke Sucks, Reed Tucker and Andy Bagwell's thorough charge-by-charge frisking of the worst college basketball program known to man, which is out now.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I think a lot of coaches could be seen in that light. It doesn't exactly put K in my list of 10 coaches I wouldn't let my kid learn under.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

There's no denying his teams have bee some of THE most well schooled defensive units college ball has seen in a long time.

Comment

Coach K and Dook like to brag about how they "do things the right way". Grayson Allen (I think that's his name) has two VERY obvious trips in the same season. Some see tripping as "no big deal", others (myself included) think it could be very dangerous on a basketball court. Coach K looks around and sees that without Allen, his team would be hurt pretty badly. Coach K does absolutely zero in terms of disciplining the player. Coach K is an incredible basketball mind. He is also more likely to piss on your shoe and tell you it's raining than to tell you the truth about the sky being clear.
                              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Working...
                              X