When I Played Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I Played Basketball

Background: 5'8" with a bad vertical, but radical quickness and speed.

High school:

It was more importamnt to do chores on the farm than go out for basketball. With no car, the bus ride home to feed the animals was my only option. I did play some intramurals, where I learned a slick trick for short guys who can't jump.

When the guys who could rebound came down with the ball is when I went up. I could almost always knock the ball out of their hands. I'm surprised more little guys don't use that approach.

College:

I played major amounts of pick8up ball. I was quick enough that I could always get past the guy guarding me (not Ron Mendell) and drive the lane to the hoop. If you've never done that at the speed it takes to get there, you have no idea how hard the ball comes off the board on that "layup". I was always hoping to dump the ball off to a post player, but they were always looking for the rebound instead of the pass.

I had one rather unusual shot that worked for me. I'd back my defender down to about 17' on either side of the FT line and then shoot a trunaround jumper over him. If my defender was still backing up, I['d hit that shot about 60% of the time. One time I tried it against a zone where their switch put me up against a 6'7" guy with great ups. He blocked my shot with his armpit.

I did get invited to a pickup game with the team. Just once.

After college:

I played for the KEYN radio Y-league team when I was in my 30's and hadn't played for 10 years. The most embarrassing thing was trying to run the court. I had been a sprinter and had a forward lean when running. My feet weren't able to keep up with the lean and I actually fell over forward when trying to run at full speed. I worked my way out of that before the season started. It wasn't easy.

I was a 30-something and I was the guy who had to cover the opponents fast breaks, which was typically run by 18-20 year-old guys.

I scored 0 points, but I think I averaged somewhere around 10 assists. and 1 TO. We had a SG who couldn't miss from his spot. I would drive until I pulled his defender onto me, and then I'd just pass him the ball.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

I farted.

Comment

I stayed at the holiday inn express after the wsu game @ drake last year.

Comment

Me shooting around https://youtu.be/A3GpJWfNoAg

Comment

I invented the cross-over dribble back in the early 70's and I used my skills to make bank. Then turned around and spent most of it on burritos. The rest is well documented history.
          I invented the cross-over dribble in the early 70's

Comment

I didn't make my name playing, but I was a household name as a coach. One time, I embarrassed a bunch of pussyfooted asshats who thought that I was too hot headed and had to be held back when the refs kept getting my name wrong. Dammit, my name isn't Frank!
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
            Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoelace View Post
              I invented the cross-over dribble back in the early 70's and I used my skills to make bank. Then turned around and spent most of it on burritos. The rest is well documented history.
              Obviously, since that is well known history. I think what everyone wants to know, however, is whether the rubberneck juke was invented or borrowed.

Comment

I didn't invent the rubber neck juke, but I was the first to use it on a basketball court. It actually started out as a dance move. The best rubber neck juke outside of my patented cross-over dribble (which I invented back in the early 70's) can be seen by watching any old Mick Jagger video. In fact when perfecting the cross-over dribble, one important detail is the lips.
                I invented the cross-over dribble in the early 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoelace View Post
                  I didn't invent the rubber neck juke, but I was the first to use it on a basketball court. It actually started out as a dance move. The best rubber neck juke outside of my patented cross-over dribble (which I invented back in the early 70's) can be seen by watching any old Mick Jagger video. In fact when perfecting the cross-over dribble, one important detail is the lips.
                  I really wish I'd recorded your interview with Charlie Rose where this - along with floating air biscuits - was explained in full.

Comment

I sprained my ankle playing basketball.

Comment

I used to grab, spit, hack,trip and cheap shot. I sucked at basketball, but my playing style was a great equalizer.
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I wasn't very good and didn't like playing. Then I stopped playing for a long time: Now I love to play pick up. It's fun and great exercise. Also gives me a chance to flex my low standards every now and then and say or do something I will inevitably regret.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                          I wasn't very good and didn't like playing. Then I stopped playing for a long time: Now I love to play pick up. It's fun and great exercise. Also gives me a chance to flex my low standards every now and then and say or do something I will inevitably regret.
                          Dean Smith wouldn't condone that sort on nonsense :boxing:

Comment

I invented the step back three ball, before the three line was established in college ball.

I was pretty good at it. More later. The Cowboy game is on.
                            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

I didn't play basketball, but I was the janitor for a really big college. I was never a student, but I felt I was smarter than most of the other kids that went there. And when no one was around I would solve really complex math equations. My best friend at that time was Ben Affleck.....
                              Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                              Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X