Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes a college basketball conference either Major or Mid-Major?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a college basketball conference either Major or Mid-Major?

Is it the number of national championships?

Number of teams in the NCAA Tournament?

The aggregate amount paid their head coaches?

Average Conference RPI?

How many years are included?

What is the cut off? Top 3, top 5, top 10 for classification as Major?

I am sure their are a dozen indicators that determine individual's perspectives. I am interested in reading yours.

I like conference RPI with a span of like 3 to 5 years, and with a cut off at the top ten out of the 30+ conferences:

Here is the rank of the some of the conferences over the last 3 years using Warren Nolan data as a reference:

1 Big 12
    2 ACC
    3 Big Ten
    4 Big East
    4 Pac 12
    6 SEC
    7 Atlantic 10
    8 American Athletic
    9 Missouri Valley
    9 West Coast
    11 Mountain West
    11 Mid-American
    13 Colonial Athletic
    14 Conference USA

Comment

BCS Football.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

At one time, ESPN coined the word "Quasi-Major" in reference to the strongest non-P5 conferences in basketball. I think that term does point out the difference between P5 conferences and any other conference. Just like the Big East does not look upon WSU as a good match to be in their conference (for various reasons), so does the P5 look at the Big East as not the same (primarily, football, financial war chest, and general size of institutions).

I pulled my info from CBS Sports on conference RPIs (didn't appear to be their own, but the NCAA's) over the last 3 years. Here's the results based on the average RPI over those 3 years:

1 - Big 12 - 1
        2 - Big East - 3.3
        3 - ACC - 3.7
        3 - Big 10 - 3.7
        3 - Pac-12 - 3.7
        6 - SEC - 6
        7 - A-10 - 6.7
        8 - AAC - 8
        9 - WCC - 10.7
        9 - MAC - 10.7
        11 - MWC - 11
        12 - MVC - 12
        13 - CAA - 14.3
        14 - Summit - 16.3
        14 - Ivy - 16.3
        16 - Horizon - 16.7
        17 - Big West - 17
        18 - C-USA - 17.3
        19 - Sun - 18.7
        20 - MAAC - 19

While the Big East has done very well, so has the A-10 in just being behind the SEC by .7. The A-10 is NOT a major conference despite its good showing. Neither is the Big East, particularly in the eyes of the P5 which may be the only one that counts. The Big East is a very strong basketball conference. That's where it ends.

I do believe that there are "tiers" in basketball. Schools within several of those tiers are very competitive with the top tier conferences. This is different than football, but remember, football is in the driver's seat. Right now, if you're not a P5 conference, you're not a major conference.

If the P5 breaks away from the NCAA in football, the drawing line is clear. It's just those 5 conferences.

If there is a break away in basketball, I don't believe the P5 will go by themselves. Too many other quality conferences and quality schools within other conferences. Will a line be drawn with the top 8? Will it go as far as the top 12? There are clear lines at those break points. Unfortunately, the Valley is currently muddying the water as two of the conferences below the MVC above, finished higher than the Valley last year.

Whether one considers the Big East a major conference or not, I don't care, nor does it really matter.

Comment

The P-5 might break away in football. Might.

The problem is outside of football, the P-5 has a huge problem with scheduling competition. The P-5 cannot and will not support Olympic sports with only 70 teams spread across the country.

I can't see the remaining NCAA teams playing P-5 teams in volleyball, the P-5 would have a scheduling and competitive nightmare.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

If the Power 5 breaks off, then the rest of Division 1 needs to stop playing them, particularly and especially in football. It would be difficult because of the financial aspect as the smaller conference schools rely on those guarantee game checks. However, refusing to play the P5 schools is the only recourse that the non-P5s could have to send a message to the P5s.

As mentioned, it would be a scheduling nightmare. Not everyone can have 7-8 home games a year. It would almost have to be 6 home, 6 road straight up. Also, it would take a physical toll. No longer would the P5's get to beat up on overmatched FCS and lower-level FBS opponents for 2-3 games in the non-conference slate. There'd be 12 games against mostly equal level competition (not everyone can play Kansas). That would be a mini NFL schedule that would mostly certainly decimate teams with injuries.
            78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
              If the Power 5 breaks off, then the rest of Division 1 needs to stop playing them, particularly and especially in football. It would be difficult because of the financial aspect as the smaller conference schools rely on those guarantee game checks. However, refusing to play the P5 schools is the only recourse that the non-P5s could have to send a message to the P5s.

As mentioned, it would be a scheduling nightmare. Not everyone can have 7-8 home games a year. It would almost have to be 6 home, 6 road straight up. Also, it would take a physical toll. No longer would the P5's get to beat up on overmatched FCS and lower-level FBS opponents for 2-3 games in the non-conference slate. There'd be 12 games against mostly equal level competition (not everyone can play Kansas). That would be a mini NFL schedule that would mostly certainly decimate teams with injuries.
              Exactly. The P-5 wants and needs the NCAA. They just want to posture so everyone crumbles and let's them have their cake.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

"Inside the up-transferring boom: Which schools are winning & losing?" - Sports Illustrated

Which teams have been impacted the most by up-transferring, the trend of college players becoming immediately eligible for better teams?

by Luke Winn
                July 18, 2016

Here is an article, on transfers of players from one school to another and the impact it is having, particularly the last five years. What I agree mostly with, is his classification of conferences as being major, but also adding other "perennial power" schools for his analysis.

"...• Transferring from a low- or mid-major to a major (in the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 or SEC).

• Transferring from a low- or mid-major to a perennial power outside the big six conferences (Gonzaga, San Diego State, Wichita State, Memphis, or VCU; Xavier and Butler pre-Big East; AAC-era UConn and Cincinnati).

• Transferring from a lesser major-conference team to a program that won a national championship in the past 10 years...."

Comment

All I know is that WSU is mid-major, due to the company it keeps. i.e. Missouri Valley Conference.
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Billy Packer?

Comment

Having a Div. 1 - FBS football team from one of 5 conferences. Without FBS Football the best a basketball team can be is a somewhat high major team. Doesn't make sense but that is the fact. You can be the worst team in a FBS Power 5 team and your basketball team will be considered a high major team. You can be a school that has a basketball team that makes the NCAA tourney for many years in a row, stays up in the rankings and gets to the Sweet Sixteen or Final Four and they will be considered a mid-major team.

Comment

rdr deems wichita state basketball mid-major. now there's a surprise.

wichita state has one of the top-10 highest paid coaches in college basketball. so, actually, that's the company they keep.

Comment

Originally posted by engrshock View Post
                          Having a Div. 1 - FBS football team from one of 5 conferences. Without FBS Football the best a basketball team can be is a somewhat high major team. Doesn't make sense but that is the fact. You can be the worst team in a FBS Power 5 team and your basketball team will be considered a high major team. You can be a school that has a basketball team that makes the NCAA tourney for many years in a row, stays up in the rankings and gets to the Sweet Sixteen or Final Four and they will be considered a mid-major team.
                          sad fact

Comment

Working...
                          X