Jim Valvano & Wichita State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Valvano & Wichita State

Currently reading the Legends Club by John Feinstein. It's about the relationship between Dean Smith, Mike Kryzewzski and Jim Valvano. It briefly mentions Valvano almost coming to WSU. He flew to Wichita for a meeting and was offered $500,000 a year for 5 years. He was pretty much ready to accept the job until his wife indicated she just didn't want him back in coaching. This was 1992 and I remember all the rumors and speculation but this is the first time I've heard such detailed information about this. Honestly didn't know it was that close to really happening.

Originally posted by washedup View Post
    Currently reading the Legends Club by John Feinstein. It's about the relationship between Dean Smith, Mike Kryzewzski and Jim Valvano. It briefly mentions Valvano almost coming to WSU. He flew to Wichita for a meeting and was offered $500,000 a year for 5 years. He was pretty much ready to accept the job until his wife indicated she just didn't want him back in coaching. This was 1992 and I remember all the rumors and speculation but this is the first time I've heard such detailed information about this. Honestly didn't know it was that close to really happening.
    It still resonates withe me.

At that time he was still in the studio with ESPN. He was to make his announcement (and did) in the studio on national television if he was going to take the job or not. I was sure he was going to do it. There was a local (and maybe national) rumor that he was offered a partnership in Pizza Hut franchises as well.

What we're doing now, I'm sure we would have done with Jimmie V in the 90's. He was well aware of the fan/community support he would have gotten here.

Comment

Former North Carolina State basketball coach Jim Valvano was poised to accept the vacant head coaching position at Wichita State University, his attorney...

Wow never knew this.
      Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

Interesting. He died a year after this, so it is probably just as well that he wasn't hired...although you wonder what even a bit of time with him in charge would have done for the program.

Also....you're telling me that WSU could have had John Calipari instead of Scott Thompson? Huh. I bet the 1990s would have played out a lot differently.
        78-65

Comment

Scott's lack of success was so heartbreaking. Great guy, brilliant resume, all the ingredients seemed to be there...it just never came together for him.

Comment

I remember this...

Comment

Did anyone else catch the other candidates?

Other candidates said to be under consideration by Wichita State are John Calapari of Massachusetts, Scott Thompson of Rice and Neil McCarthy of New Mexico State.

Comment

I found the language surrounding the contract very familiar, and interesting in reference to Pizza Hut. Sheds some light and also strengthens my speculations on HCGMs perks.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderkwb View Post
                  Did anyone else catch the other candidates?

Other candidates said to be under consideration by Wichita State are John Calapari of Massachusetts, Scott Thompson of Rice and Neil McCarthy of New Mexico State.
                  calapari still speaks well of wichita state.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                    Interesting. He died a year after this, so it is probably just as well that he wasn't hired...although you wonder what even a bit of time with him in charge would have done for the program.

Also....you're telling me that WSU could have had John Calipari instead of Scott Thompson? Huh. I bet the 1990s would have played out a lot differently.
                    Yeah; more NCAA sanctions!

Comment

IIIRC, he stated once in an interview that he started to notice back pain while here on his visit. I was EXTRMELY excited at his potential here, but it was probably for the best. He still has my favorite firing line of all time: "They gave me a lifetime contract and then declared me dead." LOL!

Comment

True story. I was a student at WSU at the time and some friends and I were on our way to Dallas for spring break. We got pulled over in Moore OK by a trooper. He asked the normal questions and ask where were were from and where we were going. We said we were from Wichita State and headed south for spring break, then he asked about Jimmy V. It was then, and only then, that I knew I was going to get a warning and not a ticket! I'm sure I spent all the money saved on beer but its still a good story!

Comment

Working...
                        X