Roster Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
    Turnover ratio of 1.3:1 in Juco. A lot of that may be him, may be the style of Juco ball.

In high school in '13-'14, he had 107 assists to 50 turnovers, better than 2:1.

Are you basing the "problem" on something you've witnessed?
    I believe it comes from first hand accounts that he plays fast and out of control.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Turnover ratio of 1.3:1 in Juco. A lot of that may be him, may be the style of Juco ball.

I haven't checked the stats, but my gut tells me that a 1.3 ATO ratio would be the worst for any true starting PG recruited by Marshall.

It's rarely discussed here, but in my opinion a cornerstone of Marshall's system is having a PG that creates possessions on a net basis - Fresh Van Vleet was the ultimate example (more steals than turnovers or fouls for his entire career).

Comment

Originally posted by Good News View Post
        I haven't checked the stats, but my gut tells me that a 1.3 ATO ratio would be the worst for any true starting PG recruited by Marshall.

It's rarely discussed here, but in my opinion a cornerstone of Marshall's system is having a PG that creates possessions on a net basis - Fresh Van Vleet was the ultimate example (more steals than turnovers or fouls for his entire career).
        Forgot to add my main point - I don't think a 1.3 cuts it with Marshall. I have high hopes for Daishon based on what I've hard and very limited viewing, but I think he'll need to be able to take care of the ball better than that to keep Landry or Conner off the 1.

Comment

Forgot to add my main point - I don't think a 1.3 cuts it with Marshall. I have high hopes for Daishon based on what I've hard and very limited viewing, but I think he'll need to be able to take care of the ball better than that to keep Landry or Conner off the 1.
          Who have you heard from. The HCGM quote didn't address a turnover problem, nor hint at it. In your limited viewing, what does that consist of, timewise, and were his turnovers prolific? I assume the ration is much worse than 2:1, but it is difficult to read between the lines to determine what you saw. Any help would be appreciated.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Who have you heard from. The HCGM quote didn't address a turnover problem, nor hint at it. In your limited viewing, what does that consist of, timewise, and were his turnovers prolific? I assume the ration is much worse than 2:1, but it is difficult to read between the lines to determine what you saw. Any help would be appreciated.
            Based on two "discussions" with the coaching staff, he needs to play more "in control". NTL, they are quite high on him. Marshall is excited about Willis.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Crossing fingers Willis is a Carl Hall type player. Kinda sounding like it! Heck...maybe even a slightly better version. Hall was one of my faves! Just a beast!
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Not sure what you mean? My "limited viewing" is the same or less than yours - highlight videos only, no real evaluation.

All I was saying is that anything less than a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio - in my opinion, particularly on the heels of 3 years of Van Vleet - won't cut it. Ragland turned out to be a magnificent PG but if my memory serves he wasn't given the keys until he quit turning the ball over.

I have no inside information, just an opinion from years of observation that Marshall won't tolerate guards turning the ball over (or anyone else, for that matter). I also think that's one of the main reasons Tekele took some minutes from Kyle and worked his way into the rotation as a freshman.

Anyway, high hopes for Daishon.

Comment

Well if thats the only mistake I make in my life I will consider myself lucky

Comment

I'm sure we can find a few more if we look hard enough, pogo.

Meanwhile, isn't there a limit on the traveling squad? And what about for events like Canada -- does everyone get to go?

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                      Well if thats the only mistake I make in my life I will consider myself lucky
                      You are very very good, pigo!
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

Not sure what you mean? My "limited viewing" is the same or less than yours - highlight videos only, no real evaluation.

All I was saying is that anything less than a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio - in my opinion, particularly on the heels of 3 years of Van Vleet - won't cut it. Ragland turned out to be a magnificent PG but if my memory serves he wasn't given the keys until he quit turning the ball over.

I have no inside information, just an opinion from years of observation that Marshall won't tolerate guards turning the ball over (or anyone else, for that matter). I also think that's one of the main reasons Tekele took some minutes from Kyle and worked his way into the rotation as a freshman.

Anyway, high hopes for Daishon.

GoodNews, didn't mean anything by it, just using your words, "limited viewing."

Indeed we are spoiled by Fred and Ron, but I'd take a 2.0 ratio combined from Conner, Landry, Reaves, in a quick heartbeat.

Comment

No, I read that he averaged 3.0 turnovers per game, during last season.

Update

During the '15-'16 season, Smith had 110 turnovers in 33 games.

Last edited by Ricardo del Rio; July 17, 2016, 05:08 PM.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                            No, I read that he averaged 3.0 turnovers per game, during last season.

Update

During the '15-'16 season, Smith had 110 turnovers in 33 games.

http://www.tcceagles.com/sports/mbkb...=career&pos=bt
                            Compared to 142 assists, same source. 1.3 ratio.

Comment

Working...
                            X