Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Baker was a Knick, and now is a Wizard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The market is open, and NBA free-agency news is coming in fast. Stay up to date with the latest rumors and rumblings across the Association.

Ron's is about "market value" isn't it? Maybe KWCH doesn't follow the NBA that much. Knick fans should be upset about signing Hardaway for the money they did.

Comment

• Matthew Dellavadova makes 10 mil a year.

Comment

• Stop the presses! People in New York are complaining! Maybe people in Philly complain more than people in NY - maybe.

People in NY are permanently irritated. Complaining is what they do.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
          Hypothetically, If Ron had a 2 mil dollar offer from a quality, winning organization I doubt the Knicks would be able to keep him by offering $1 more because they are a dysfunctional organization with little hope of winning anytime soon.

I think Baker is being undervalued similar to when he came out of High School. That doesn't surprise me coming from Knicks fans, they don't know any better. Hearing it from Shocker fans is kinda surprising.
          I agree 100%. I think the only knock you can have on him was that his shot just didnt want to fall through last season but once he gets it back i think he will more than be worth 9 million in 2 years. A lot of players in the nba just dont have his intangibles, great defense, superb court vision, and his work ethic..

Even when he was here his shot was inconsistent but when he was on..boy was he on!
          Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
            Hypothetically, If Ron had a 2 mil dollar offer from a quality, winning organization I doubt the Knicks would be able to keep him by offering $1 more because they are a dysfunctional organization with little hope of winning anytime soon.
            Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Ron was a restricted free agent. That meant other teams could make offers, but the Knicks retained the rights to match any offers and keep him.

If this is true, it means the Knicks offered Ron a number that hadn't been made by anyone else, and that many people think is higher than anything Ron would have seen. This is why people say the Knicks overpaid. They could have offered less, then just matched if someone else came in higher.

This seems simple if true. What am I missing?

Comment

• Fred and Ron have always been undervalued. It's an honest mistake but Mark Few made that mistake, and undervalued Fred in the Pan Am games. Fred and Ron are just "winners" and we as Shocker fans know that. How do you undervalue "winning"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Ron was a restricted free agent. That meant other teams could make offers, but the Knicks retained the rights to match any offers and keep him.

If this is true, it means the Knicks offered Ron a number that hadn't been made by anyone else, and that many people think is higher than anything Ron would have seen. This is why people say the Knicks overpaid. They could have offered less, then just matched if someone else came in higher.

Ron's agent, if he is worth anything had already made contact with other teams and knew a little about how much value Ron had. Ron, didn't get into a bidding war because it would have hurt him, but to say they had no idea about what other teams thought, I think you are being short sighted about how things are done. His agent probably had an idea, and said to New York, and may have said, this is what it is going to take to sign, and we don't want to open it up to others.

The Royals often have to over pay for talent. This isn't always bad negotiating.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  Stop the presses! People in New York are complaining! Maybe people in Philly complain more than people in NY - maybe.

People in NY are permanently irritated. Complaining is what they do.
                  It comes with being a liberal.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                    Fred and Ron have always been undervalued. It's an honest mistake but Mark Few made that mistake, and undervalued Fred in the Pan Am games. Fred and Ron are just "winners" and we as Shocker fans know that. How do you undervalue "winning"?
                    The Knicks agree with you. It's called "investing wisely." They're calculating on a future return. Now Hardaway, on the other hand... Huh???

Comment

• Originally posted by wheathead View Post
                      It comes with being a liberal.
                      Yep. Hillary's real "popular" there... In LA too (I couldn't resist).

Comment

This was true until they signed THJ. Free agency began 7/1 but contracts couldn't be officially signed until later. When they offered THJ, they didn't have the space, so they had to drop Ron's qualifying offer and renounce the cap holds for Ron, Rose and Sasha Vujacic, making them all free agents. The thought amongst Knicks fans is that they should have signed Ron at the minimum ($1.5 mil) or let him walk so they still had cap space for a veteran PG.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
                          I dont understand all the hate Ron is getting from these knicks fans because of his deal, 9 million is barley a drop in the bucket compared to the overall player budgets. What a bunch of unappreciative a holes they are up in NY he worked his butt off to get to this point.
                          Reading a knicks forums and the logic is always interesting.

"Baker hasn't done anything to deserve this contract after 1 year, its way too much!, wait until he earns it!"

Same Poster

"Well if Baker will be our starting PG then at least we have a good chance at picking up Porter, who will be worth it"

So ... Baker who played an entire season with the Knicks and showed value hasn't earned anything, but Porter who hasn't even played a game in college has ..... Gotcha.

Comment

They had to drop the right's to Ron when they Signed THJ due to cap limitations. At the point THJ signed (or was offered), Ron was an unrestricted free agent.

Comment

• Originally posted by champions5 View Post
                              It depends if you mean total pay or highest per year deal.

X signed a 3-year deal at age 29 with the Celtics that paid him $1.65 million, $2.1 million, and $2.6 million for a total of $6.35 million, and was making $1.4 million the previous season with the Knicks. It's difficult to find what he was making the other 9 seasons but I assume the total is more than Ron's 2-year deal. Ron's deal per year is more than X ever made as far as I can tell.
                              X made at least $13M over the course of his career, and Antoine Carr was over $14M, documented by basketball-reference.com. Some seasons are missing, so there's probably about another million to be added to each of those two's career numbers. Ron is safely the third-highest NBA paid Shocker, but will need at least another contract to get to X or AC's levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by sdshox View Post
                                X made at least $13M over the course of his career, and Antoine Carr was over $14M, documented by basketball-reference.com. Some seasons are missing, so there's probably about another million to be added to each of those two's career numbers. Ron is safely the third-highest NBA paid Shocker, but will need at least another contract to get to X or AC's levels.
                                Do we consider Maurice Evans for this list? He made $14.6 mil in the NBA via basketball-reference.

Comment

Working...
                                X